Source: "Simply put, BlackBerry missed the consumerization of IT trend and now IT heads are straying from their hardware and their services. In addition, the company didn't help itself out by rebranding itself as a company named after its smartphone..."

I think the writer here has a point about tying the company name with the brand name. Now, BlackBerry the company gives the impression that it's more of - if not purely - a hardware company.
    Last edited by pcuser; 12-23-13 at 09:54 PM.
    12-23-13 09:23 PM
    Fine then let's rename BlackBerry to BerrySoft.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 10:36 PM
    Or, just kept it as RIM. I think it's nice and original. But probably, there was a critical business reason for changing the name.
    12-23-13 11:59 PM
    So changing the name is going to sink the company? Really? Where do they find these people

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 12:17 AM
    I think the name change is the least of bb's problems, right now - that said; this article seems to be addressing the perception problem bb has. In that respect, perhaps there is a point.

Blackberry phones are not selling, so all the gloomy stories affect the perception of the company as a whole - so corporate suffers. Catch 22. They want to sell consumer phones and corporate backends ...

I don't know what the answer is but i hope they find their own way out of the corner they've got themselves into. They'll be stronger for it.

Sent from Tapatalk
    12-24-13 04:12 AM
    Source: "Simply put, BlackBerry missed the consumerization of IT trend and now IT heads are straying from their hardware and their services. In addition, the company didn't help itself out by rebranding itself as a company named after its smartphone..."

I think the writer here has a point about tying the company name with the brand name. Now, BlackBerry the company gives the impression that it's more of - if not purely - a hardware company.
    I do sometimes miss Research in Motion (RIM), but I also agree with the name change. People use to be confused when you said RIM. Now they know who you are talking about. Also, the BlackBerry name is not just associated with their hardware (though mostly so) The company is being divided into 4 main divisions.
    1. Hardware - BlackBerry Phones
    2. Enterprise - BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Servers)
    3. Messaging - BBM (BlackBerry Messenger)
    4. Embedded Devices - QNX

3 of their 4 main divisions have the name BlackBerry in them, so it makes sense to be known as BlackBerry.

oh, & also the name change got rid of all those RIM Job jokes.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    12-24-13 04:57 AM

They will leverage their customer base.
    12-24-13 05:02 AM
    Should've changed it to "Chen & Berry's" and introduce different model flavors every quarter with catchy names
    12-24-13 05:10 AM
    12-24-13 05:10 AM