Got my google drive set up today and running, just was thinking that apple already has icloud, now google has drive, dropbox and boxnet, what do you think guys should RIM work on something like this gathering best options from all these providers and building something amazing for blackberry users and non blackberry users ? or this is something that is our of RIM interest ?
    04-24-12 05:02 PM
    I just want all my BB devices to easily sync...my phone, playbook, and desktop computer.

I can use Dropbox, box.net, etc. for storage

RIM should make it easy to send files to (Ex.) Dropbox from the phones and playbook
    216d8f7f likes this.
    04-24-12 06:24 PM
    As a BB BIS customer I would love to see this from RIM/BB...

A feature rich email, calendar & contacts web based service with a BlackBerry address.

25gb (min) cloud service.

All must sync OTA with all BB devices as well as Microsoft Outlook.
    216d8f7f likes this.
    04-24-12 06:26 PM
    One (I think) HUGE disappointment with the Dropbox app on BB is that you can't upload anything other than a photo. This Google Drive service sounds good, but is there any way I can use that on my BB 9900 browser?
    216d8f7f likes this.
    04-24-12 06:31 PM
    iCloud is pretty limited as far as storage goes. It's great for syncing but that's as far as my use of it has gone.

Google Drive will replace Dropbox & Evernote for me. Combine the two so to speak.
    216d8f7f and pungster like this.
    04-24-12 06:36 PM
    The FileScout app makes it easy to send and receive files from DropBox on the BB. For this purpose it's much better than the DropBox app.

There's a "Cloud Explorer for SkyDrive" in App World now, but I'm finding it a bit buggy so far.
    xandermac and Guntis Stirna like this.
    04-24-12 06:59 PM
    Google Drive will replace Dropbox & Evernote for me. Combine the two so to speak.
    I'd do the same if they weren't going to scan my files and use the info to serve ads.
    black.rhino likes this.
    04-24-12 07:12 PM
    I'd do the same if they weren't going to scan my files and use the info to serve ads.
    lol what? So they scan your pictures of you scuba diving with sharks and then the next thing you have, is ads for shark repellents??

Where will these ads pop up at? Your BB? Your browser?
    Guntis Stirna likes this.
    04-24-12 07:52 PM
    You know you can turn all that off right? I have all scanning and targeted ads disabled for my google apps domain.
    04-24-12 07:54 PM
    I have the same concerns with all cloud services. Security and privacy.

Any reason we should trust any of these services when there's so much identity theft etc going on?
    Last edited by stewartj1; 04-24-12 at 09:20 PM.
    04-24-12 08:37 PM

Any reason we should trust any of these services when there's so much identity theft etc going on?
    No, if you have security or privacy concerns, encrypt your data before uploading it to these cloud services. I use Dropbox every day, but they have had too many ongoing security problems to trust them with unencrypted data. SpiderOak is working on BlackBerry phone and PlayBook apps, and they provide a more secure alternative to the other cloud services. SpiderOak is a "zero-knowledge" provider. They do not store your password, and they have no way to decrypt or view your data, but they do temporarily write your password to encrypted server memory during mobile and web access sessions. Hopefully, they'll switch to local encryption/decryption and get that issue corrected.
    04-24-12 10:59 PM
    Anyone think Google will release a BB app for Drive?
    04-25-12 07:52 AM
    Don't see it happening. Maybe for BB10.

If anyone has a SkyDrive account older than a week, they can log in and grab an extra 25GB of storage. Works well from the PlayBook as well.
    04-25-12 08:17 AM
    Anyone think Google will release a BB app for Drive?
    It's Google doesn't, somebody else will. If I recall correctly, Google is also releasing an SDK and APIs.

Penned via Tapatalk.
    04-25-12 11:12 AM
    But what about articles the past couple of days talking about the Google Drive Terms of Service? It states that Google owns the rights to whatever content is uploaded to their 'Drive'.
    04-25-12 11:21 AM
    But what about articles the past couple of days talking about the Google Drive Terms of Service? It states that Google owns the rights to whatever content is uploaded to their 'Drive'.
    No it doesn't. You've apparently never read their terms of service.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/4/25...urce=pulsenews

Penned via Tapatalk.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 04-25-12 at 12:23 PM.
    hornlovah likes this.
    04-25-12 12:20 PM
    A more concise explanation can be found here: Calm Down Internet...
    04-25-12 12:30 PM
    04-25-12 12:44 PM
    As a BB BIS customer I would love to see this from RIM/BB...

A feature rich email, calendar & contacts web based service with a BlackBerry address.

25gb (min) cloud service.

All must sync OTA with all BB devices as well as Microsoft Outlook.
    Imo, this was the first of many big misses by RIM. They should have easily been able to launch their own "suite" of services back in 2005-2006 when Google's suite of Gmail, calendar and contacts was still very raw. Since RIM WAS the smartphone market back then, they could have easily pulled in consumers by the boatloads and gotten them to stick by tying them w/ their own web based service suite.

As for Google Drive, their prices are certainly better, but Google Drive is largely just Google Docs with a new name. Imo, it should still have a "beta" tag w/ it. I hope, as an Android and heavy Google user, that they continue to mesh all of their products/services well, with Google Drive amongst them (combine it w/ Google/Play Music, Play Store purchases like ebooks and movies, favorites YouTube clips, and Picassa, etc).
    04-25-12 02:05 PM
    My two live accounts ended up with 25GB each so I'm going to try Sky drive for now. The Windows application seems to work well.
    04-25-12 03:23 PM
    Check this out.
    04-25-12 07:26 PM

+1

(hope the sarcasm sensors dont explode xD )

It is really frightening how much data Google or Facebook are trapping and it's not just that we see adds, what they or governments (esp. Us government patriot act etc) can do with all that information!

Search on YouTube for a video, keyword pizza delivery phone order social security

This is even a light. Version of what is possible.

:/
    216d8f7f likes this.
    04-25-12 07:49 PM
    The best privacy type cloud service which was recommended to me was spideroak. However, they don't make a bb phone app.

They encrypt files like all the other services but they have a zero knowledge policy. You are the only one with the keys to the encrypted files. If you lose the password, too bad.

https://spideroak.com/faq/questions/...d_at_gunpoint/

Only other alternative is to encrypt files first with another program on your computer, then load to dropbox, etc. And then hopefully, bb makes the same encryption software as an app. But I haven't found one yet.
    04-29-12 12:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD