Thanks for this great (and informative!) post

I agree with you in that I don't know why people "troll"; moreover, to be honest, I don't know why people respond lol. I usually just skip over troll remarks, and if I am replying I try to reply to the topic at hand.

But glad you will be taking a more active role in this and once again thanks for such an amazing site!

Edit: On another note, lately I have seen many CB "newbies" get shot down quickly for asking questions that have been repeated numerous times, in numerous threads (e.g. What are the must-have apps, what's a good weather app, how do I set up e-mail...etc). Understandably many CB "pros" can get a little weary of hearing/seeing so many threads on the same subject. However, it makes me sad when these posts are replied to with a short attitude as I remember being overwhelmed on my first visit to CB 2 years ago. While CB is divided into many useful subforums and is also very user friendly, it can be overwhelming to a first-time user(especially for those who are not tech-savy or are not on websites and blogsites all the time). I remember my first posts and they WERE newbie questions that had been covered, but I am glad to say everyone was very patient and helpful which made my first experience with CB a great one. Thanks to those "pros" who are as helpful and patient as ever, and seem to have no problem in helping out a new member every day.
    Last edited by puddin78; 04-27-11 at 08:43 PM.
    maddie1128 and gryphon13 like this.
    04-27-11 08:10 PM
    Awesome, It's about time.
    04-27-11 08:16 PM
    Thank you Kevin. I am on this site all the time and have learned so much over the years. I have really wanted to contribute and participate more than I have, but the tone and behaviors in the forums have been so negative in recent times that it really turned me away from responding to anything. I really am looking forward to more civility here, and respectable debates and opinions.
    04-27-11 08:19 PM
    yay to this!!!

i've stopped coming on to the forum as much now, not because I switched phones, but because of all the bashings. Now with that being cleared up, I can enjoy coming back on to the forum and not face the bashings.

I must admit that I guiltily enjoy when I see a troll come on and some members throw in sarcastic replies that are quite amusing and enough to shut the troll up... however things don't usually stop there as other members take things too personal from the troll hence falling for the trick and quickly the thread becomes nothing but a combination of words and personal attacks.
    04-27-11 08:30 PM
    Thanks for listening and acting, Kevin and mods. I 've been here almost 4 years and have seen the place change. I was here when we hit 100k users, 500k, a million and more, and the percentage of [French for showers] has gone up accordingly. It comes with the territory on a site so large, but when the children are naughty, they need to be disciplined. Thanks again.
    04-27-11 08:45 PM
    I think that negative posts must have a place in separate threads, but to prevent the trolls from hijacking every other discussion is much appreciated and long overdue.
    04-27-11 08:47 PM
    thanks kevin.
    04-27-11 08:55 PM
    Giving an opinion that someone doesn't like and possibly in a tone they personally don't agree with does not equate to trolling. Being pro Android on a Blackberry forum doesn't make someone a troll by default.

Baiting other posters into flamewars is what trolling is.

Calling someone a troll just cause they posted something you don't like aren't agree with is trolling, BTW... (Most people who are called names WILL get offended and become defensive because of it).
    That's a pretty good guide to how I understand it. Not all trolls are skilled at their trade, so add attempts to troll and the definitions will cover most cases.
    04-27-11 09:02 PM
    im pretty new, I just assumed the trolling was a normal part of the forum like in other places. I'm really glad to see that it's not tolerated though.
    04-27-11 09:03 PM
    Reading threads will hopefully be more enjoyable the than the constant eye-rolling Ive been doing on many threads as of late. On another forum I belong to they have a Beating a Dead Horse section where flaming & the same re-hashed discussions can be moved to n carry on without annoyance to others. I think this forum needs one.
    04-27-11 09:08 PM
    Hallelujah Sweet Jesus!!! Can I get an Amen!!!

Troll Hunters UNITE!!!
    04-27-11 09:18 PM
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyy!!!! Like seriously! About time! Get them haters out
    04-27-11 09:24 PM
    Well, this deserves a celebration!!!! Hellooooo Ben and Jerry's!!!!!

Thank you, Kevin.
    Any opportunity to nosh on Ben and Jerry's is most welcome! And troll purging is definitely worth it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-11 09:44 PM
    Thank you guys! Visiting the neighborhood tonight has been a nice, quiet stroll. No need to watch out for dark shadowy figures lurking around.

Neighborhood Watch at its finest!!

04-27-11 09:53 PM
    Heart-felt thank you.
    04-27-11 09:55 PM
    As a member who does more lurking than posting, this is wonderful news. Lately its been getting really hard to weed out the troll crap when trying to read legitimate opinions - and for any of the new or "soon to be new" BB/PB users, it can be a turn off when all you see are people arguing about moot points.

I owe everything I know about my 9550 and the BlackBerry environment to this site, and its been great having such a resource for when issues arise. I hope this movement to clear out the trolls will help allow everyone to get along better and continue to be the best site for users (and abusers, like myself)
    04-27-11 10:03 PM
    Looks like to me my suspicions of the last 6 months or so here on Crackberry, other Blackberry message boards and the Main Stream Media are correct. If anyone follows stocks on message boards they know exactly what I'm talking about. Make no mistake its not a coincidence this started with the Torch release and really built up to the release of the Playbook. Looks like Rimm/Blackberry is getting the Royal Treatment ie bad press, message board bashing, trolling, etc, etc. When it comes to stock price and the price per share is dropping like it has, and you believe it is because of fundamentals, financials, revenue, sales, etc then you haven't been paying attention to what has been happening in the markets the past 6-7 years.

PS Bravo on taking the initiative on cleaning things up Kev and your Mod team!
    Last edited by kccman; 04-27-11 at 10:07 PM.
    04-27-11 10:03 PM
    Thank god. I'm so glad because it gets so annoying when all the threads just degenerate into this "BB Sucks" and then just downhill from there. I applaud it.
    04-27-11 10:33 PM
    great post and thank you.
    04-27-11 10:37 PM
    I will miss the trolls. They are like benign skin growths, or warts that you've become complacent about, and you touch them absent mindedly.

On another forum I belong to they have a Beating a Dead Horse section where flaming & the same re-hashed discussions can be moved to n carry on without annoyance to others. I think this forum needs one.
    I love this idea!
    04-27-11 11:11 PM
    Looks like to me my suspicions of the last 6 months or so here on Crackberry, other Blackberry message boards and the Main Stream Media are correct. If anyone follows stocks on message boards they know exactly what I'm talking about. Make no mistake its not a coincidence this started with the Torch release and really built up to the release of the Playbook. Looks like Rimm/Blackberry is getting the Royal Treatment ie bad press, message board bashing, trolling, etc, etc. When it comes to stock price and the price per share is dropping like it has, and you believe it is because of fundamentals, financials, revenue, sales, etc then you haven't been paying attention to what has been happening in the markets the past 6-7 years.

PS Bravo on taking the initiative on cleaning things up Kev and your Mod team!
    That's exactly what it felt like. I couldn't put my finger on it before but you're exactly right, it was getting like a political campaign or the Yahoo RIMM board. I used to visit that board and it is a useless source of nothing. Also does anyone who reads all the financial stories on RIMM notice all the negative posts underneith by James or JamesApple etc. He is a piece of work.

Anyway, I am way more of a lurker than an engager and I've been here since my 7520. Crazy enough this my Facebook and Twitter rolled into one. I spend more time on this site than any other. Thanks for cleaning it up as it really is a great resource site. :-)

Last edited by timhorton; 04-28-11 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Added more
    04-27-11 11:41 PM
    Thanks-and looking forward to the changes!
    04-28-11 12:17 AM
    Stop the TROLLS!!! \m/

04-28-11 12:58 AM
    They must be hating cause we have the "whole" internet on a 7" inch screen.

Last edited by Adam Zeis; 04-28-11 at 01:59 PM. Reason: editing content
    04-28-11 01:20 AM
    Good news here....long overdue IMO.

Thanks Kevin!
    04-28-11 04:13 AM
444 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD