You know those large 17 and 19" 1280 X 1024 squarish computer monitors that were popular a few years ago.

What would happen if you went out from the classic or passports slimport to a vga or display port cable.
    Would the screen be filled or would it still have some sort of banding on the side as we now have with the 16X9 monitors.

Has anyone tried this or could take an educated guess.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 06:10 AM
    You would have a slight banding at the sides, but far less than with a wide screen.
    01-26-15 08:05 AM
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking but then remembered seeing a youtube video showing the passport at least, had screen size options inside one of its menus's.

It had quite a few ranging from 16X9 to 4X3 with a bunch of different resolutions from what I could see, but maybe that's just for the "play on" option.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 08:54 AM
    A few technical items to note:

• Most of those 17" and 19" monitors are analog only - no digital video inputs (DVI or HDMI).
    • Slimport only generates a digital output (compatible with DVI or HDMI). There are digital to analog converters, but they aren't cheap.
    • Those monitors are generally 5:4 ratio, rather than 4:3. Of course, that's even closer to 1:1.
    01-26-15 05:00 PM
    A few technical items to note:

• Most of those 17" and 19" monitors are analog only - no digital video inputs (DVI or HDMI).
    • Slimport only generates a digital output (compatible with DVI or HDMI). There are digital to analog converters, but they aren't cheap.
    • Those monitors are generally 5:4 ratio, rather than 4:3. Of course, that's even closer to 1:1.
    Hmm.. I have several "non widescreen" 19" and 21" monitors. They all have DVI, and I have had no problem feeding HDMI converted to DVI into them using a Z10, Z30, Q10, Playbook, MS surface, Lenovo Yoga Pro 2. They all use micro hdmi though.

My 19" was bough back when I was in college, circa 2004.

I'd be surprised if anyone still has working non-crt monitors that don't support DVI.

Are you saying that slimport doesn't actually support the DVI-a (or whatever it is that they used when it was a combo of vga + DVI on the back of the display?)

Guess I should buy a slimport adapter to try with my Passport... : /

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 05:10 PM
    Hmm.. I have several "non widescreen" 19" and 21" monitors. They all have DVI, and I have had no problem feeding HDMI converted to DVI into them using a Z10, Z30, Q10, Playbook, MS surface, Lenovo Yoga Pro 2. They all use micro hdmi though.

I'd be surprised if anyone still has working non-crt monitors that don't support DVI.

Are you saying that slimport doesn't actually support the DVI-a (or whatever it is that they used when it was a combo of vga + DVI on the back of the display?)

Guess I should buy a slimport adapter to try with my Passport... : /

Posted via CB10
    If you ever held a couple of "DVI to whatever" adapters, you will find that some of the PINs are different or not there, or that some graphics ports on your PC or other device won't take it.

That's the difference between DVI-D and its analogue cousin that converts nicely to VGA. There's also a standard DVI-I ('integrated') that does both.

I've tried Slimport on DVI analogue, no luck so far, and I guess I won't have any... ever... ;-)

There's more on the topic. Sorry for posting a Wikipedia link, this one is a good resource:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Classic or Passport to 4X3 Monitor?-362px-dvi_connector_types.svg.png

�   HaPPy Australia Day 2015 - come and gone...   �
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    01-26-15 05:36 PM
    Keep us updated on the topic, maybe someone has "luck"... :-)

�   HaPPy Australia Day 2015 - come and gone...   �
    Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 01-26-15 at 10:55 PM.
    01-26-15 05:37 PM
    Thanks for everyone's input. I kinda like the older aspect ratios for some reason, I find many of the 16x9's I see now are too short. A nice 19" + 5x4 digital monitor with a passport driving it would be a great combination.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 07:13 PM
    Thanks for everyone's input. I kinda like the older aspect ratios for some reason, I find many of the 16x9's I see now are too short. A nice 19" + 5x4 digital monitor with a passport driving it would be a great combination.

Posted via CB10
    I don't have an adapter for my Passport but on my Z30 there is 4X3 under the HDMI menu.

Classic or Passport to 4X3 Monitor?-img_20150126_203618.png

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 07:56 PM

I did say "most". 2004 was about the time that widescreen monitors were starting to be the standard, along with DVI. I would guess that most 4:3 (and 5:4) 17-19" flat panels were from around 1998-2003, when analog (VGA) connections (15-pin D-connector) was the standard. And, yes, there were some DVI-A and DVI-I monitors that could do analog via DVI connector too.

It's just something to be aware of if you are looking to use an older monitor with newer (all digital) tech, and something that not everyone may remember.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    01-26-15 08:36 PM