Which BlackBerry phones are in production today? I suspect only the Classic, Passport and Z3. Not sure about the Z30.
    11-04-14 12:36 PM
    Which BlackBerry phones are in production today? I suspect only the Classic, Passport and Z3. Not sure about the Z30.
    That's a good point.
    The Z10 very probably got EOL'ed by now.

The Z3 definitively and the the Z30 probably.
    They should have had rather small production runs for the Z30, but I could be wrong.
    They kinda need the Z30 until the new touchscreen phone comes out.

It would be interesting to know what happened to the Q5 and the Q10, and if the ShopBB sale is to clear the rest of that inventory, because the production for those devices stopped.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 12:40 PM
    Oops! Forgot about the z3. I honestly wouldn't include the porcshe though lol

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 04:09 PM
    I am just a big baby who wants another full touch to drool over haha. I aint hating hard or anything.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 04:11 PM
    Leave the Porsche phones out of it, as they aren't getting sold under the BlackBerry brand.

Then leave the Z3 out of it as well, since it's not available in 3/4 of the world and is an entry level phone nobody in "developed" nations would buy anyhow.

Oh, and add the Classic to the keyboard portfolio.
    You just got the 2:4 split, and yes, I am totally serious here.
    For most potential buyers, the situation is exactly like I described.

Posted via CB10
    You're splitting hairs. They're all BB10 phones with a BlackBerry logo on them so they're all counted as Zero enumerated.

The Porsche phones could still be counted because they were made in collaboration with BlackBerry, and BlackBerry definitely still got something out of the partnership whether it's licensing fees to use the logo, or a percentage of the sales, or something else. BlackBerry wouldn't allow the use of their logo and OS for free.

And it's illogical why the Z3 should only be counted if people in "developed" nations (as you called them) would buy it, and not be counted just because it's released in Asia and the Middle East. To exclude a phone just because it's "entry-level" and "nobody in developed nations would buy it anyhow" is not only condescending, but also ridiculous. A BlackBerry is still a BlackBerry no matter where it's released, and a BlackBerry user is still a BlackBerry user no matter what nationality he or she is.

Posted via CB10
    Coraya and iamagod like this.
    11-04-14 05:04 PM
    You're splitting hairs. They're all BB10 phones with a BlackBerry logo on them so they're all counted as Zero enumerated.

The Porsche phones could still be counted because they were made in collaboration with BlackBerry, and BlackBerry definitely still got something out of the partnership whether it's licensing fees to use the logo, or a percentage of the sales, or something else. BlackBerry wouldn't allow the use of their logo and OS for free.

And it's illogical why the Z3 should only be counted if people in "developed" nations (as you called them) would buy it, and not be counted just because it's released in Asia and the Middle East. To exclude a phone just because it's "entry-level" and "nobody in developed nations would buy it anyhow" is not only condescending, but also ridiculous. A BlackBerry is still a BlackBerry no matter where it's released, and a BlackBerry user is still a BlackBerry user no matter what nationality he or she is.

Posted via CB10
    With we could "rep" fellow members of the community. You'd get my approval.

+1 to your post

Posted via CB Q10 or 9000
    11-04-14 05:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    1) You don't understand market segmentation do you?
    And you also don't understand that different geographical markets, buy different products?

The only thing that is ridiculous here, is that you have no idea of those, but have the nerve to call me condescending.
    If it wouldn't be so sad, I'd probably laugh though.

2) The term developed nations is a widely recognised and used term to designate countries with certain features. Below them you have emerging markets and further below you have the so called 3rd world.

I personally don't like the first and the last term though, which is why I talk about "developed" nations. Because the term itself is condescending, when we are honest.
    Going by your reply, you didn't understand my reason for saying "developed" instead of developed. Well, that's my reason.

3) When I say that the Z3 doesn't count in "the west" (now guess why I say it like that), then this is absolutely correct.
    It's also correct to say that basically nobody would buy it in "developed" nations, because the market structure is a different one, than in emerging markets.
    Most phones used in those countries, are mid to high-end phones. Low-end phones and the Z3 is a low-end phone, are a tiny part of the market.

So I can perfectly exclude the Z3 in its current form (with LTE things start to look different) for "developed" nations.
    You can't even buy it there

4) You grossly seem to misunderstand what I say in terms of other nations.
    There was no jingoism or racism in my post. Not one bit. So I am actually pretty (negatively) impressed by your reaction.
    Never did I say that a BlackBerry user from another nation isn't a BlackBerry user.
    Actually, that I have to spell that out for you is pretty sick.

What I said is, that the typical BlackBerry customer not sitting in an emerging market or the "3rd World", has the choice between the Passport, the Classic (when it's released), the Q10, the Q5, the Z10 and the Z30.
    Which gets you the 4:2 split.

5) I also ignore the Porsche phones, because they are far too overpriced for anyone who isn't rich as eff.
    Which further is an acknowledgement of the average real life scenario, a potential BlackBerry buyer will find himself in.

But that's not the only reason.
    I also ignore them because they are a Z10 and a Q10 technically. Why should I count the same phone twice?
    Or do we start to count the 5 different STL variants as single products as well?

Overall I'd say that your reply, and therefore this one too, had no need to be written, if you would have actually understood what I said, instead of trying to find some political incorrectness that never was there to begin with.

With we could "rep" fellow members of the community. You'd get my approval.

+1 to your post

I think that you should try to understand what I actually said as well then, instead of completely misinterpretating my words.

Oops! Forgot about the z3. I honestly wouldn't include the porcshe though lol

Posted via CB10
    Because the Z3 is inexistant outside of some emerging markets.
    The device is irrelevant in most markets because you either can't buy it, or because people mostly buy mid to high-end phones in the markets I speak of.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 05:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Don't waste your time arguing with halfwits.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 06:31 PM
    Don't waste your time arguing with halfwits.

Posted via CB10
    I'd actually agree with you there, if the user you are replying to would have even understood what I said.
    But that seems to be your problem as well...

So yeah, whatever floats your boat

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 06:42 PM
    I hope the classic have better camera

Be proud - BlackBerry by Choice
    11-04-14 07:29 PM
    It will have a rear facing 8MP Auto-Focus, 5 Element F2.2 Lens, Single LED Flash, 5x Digital Zoom, 1080p Video (30fps), and a front facing 2MP, 3x Digital Zoom, 720p Video
    Since front facing cameras have become standard, why haven't manufacturers done anything better than 2MP?

11-04-14 10:11 PM
    Since front facing cameras have become standard, why haven't manufacturers done anything better than 2MP?

"Manufacturers" have. Actually, a lot of manufacturers have a better front camera than 2MP. Just not BlackBerry.

But a couple of things:
    Videocalling still isn't really a thing.
    There are definitely bandwidth problems involved, as a higher MP/resolution will eat more bandwidth.

(HTC for example took a funny path with their ultra pixel camera. They have a 4Ultra Pixel camera on the rear and a 5 Megapixel on the front)

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 01:02 AM
    "Manufacturers" have. Actually, a lot of manufacturers have a better front camera than 2MP. Just not BlackBerry.
    iPhone 6 (Plus): 1.2 MP
    Galaxy S5: 2 MP
    LG G3: 2.1 MP
    Xperia Z3: 2.2 MP
    Nexus 6: 2 MP
    Lumia 930: 1.2 MP
    Galaxy Note 4: 3.7 MP
    HTC One M8: 5 MP

....yup, just not BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 03:31 AM
    iPhone 6 (Plus): 1.2 MP
    Galaxy S5: 2 MP
    LG G3: 2.1 MP
    Xperia Z3: 2.2 MP
    Nexus 6: 2 MP
    Lumia 930: 1.2 MP
    Galaxy Note 4: 3.7 MP
    HTC One M8: 5 MP

....yup, just not BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    You might want to search harder then, if those were all you could find (chinese manufacturers for example have a lot of phones with better front facing cameras. I really start to like them currently).

Also, my response was in that style because of the way the user I replied to worded his post.

Sometimes context is actually important.
    The user asked why "manufacturers" didn't upgrade the FFC.
    Since this is a gross over generalisation, I decided that I should grossly over generalise as well.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 03:53 AM
    You might want to search harder then, if those were all you could find (chinese manufacturers for example have a lot of phones with better front facing cameras. I really start to like them currently).

Also, my response was in that style because of the way the user I replied to worded his post.

Sometimes context is actually important.
    The user asked why "manufacturers" didn't upgrade the FFC.
    Since this is a gross over generalisation, I decided that I should grossly over generalise as well.

Posted via CB10
    Chinese OEMs....oh c'mon. There's a reason why I picked only the very latest flagships for developed markets. There's barely a point in having an FFC beyond 2 MP. I mean update that sentence to "just Apple, Samsung, LG, Sony, Google and BlackBerry" and you quickly see how stupid that sounds.

I was pretty sure that I would find some Chinese OEMs with higher MP FFCs (since spec sheets are the only and everything especially for Chinese OEMs), but how exactly does that make sense when pretty much all of the big players in our western domestic markets don't? The two biggest phone OEMs worldwide don't have more than 2 MP in their FFCs, so if we're not nitpicking his point pretty much stands for him.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 05:13 AM
    Chinese OEMs....oh c'mon. There's a reason why I picked only the very latest flagships for developed markets. There's barely a point in having an FFC beyond 2 MP. I mean update that sentence to "just Apple, Samsung, LG, Sony, Google and BlackBerry" and you quickly see how stupid that sounds.

Posted via CB10
    I never said that there's a point of having a better FFC (apart from higher res selfies).

But:
    A) Samsung does indeed have a higher res FFC on their flagship, so take them down from the list.

B) Those are only 4 OEMs you listed there (Google is not an OEM).
    Just Google a list of all the smartphone manufacturers in the world, and yes, the sentence you think sounds comical is the absolutely correct one to use.

C) You have a problem with local Android manufacturers?
    Sounds like it.
    I for one, am totally happy that they start to enter western markets.
    Smartphone prices have been kept artificially high for quite some time, so I welcome every possible form of competition that will bring prices down.

I was pretty sure that I would find some Chinese OEMs with higher MP FFCs (since spec sheets are the only and everything especially for Chinese OEMs), but how exactly does that make sense when pretty much all of the big players in our western domestic markets don't? The two biggest phone OEMs worldwide don't have more than 2 MP in their FFCs, so if we're not nitpicking his point pretty much stands for him.

Posted via CB10
    In case of you having missed the memo:
    Emerging markets, where those chinese OEMs are pretty prominent are bigger than "our" markets.

So maybe, (even though HTC and Samsung use higher res FFCs) it's correct for him. On a global scale, the sentence is just wrong though.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 05:22 AM
91 ... 234