The average consumer is a sheep. They invest NO TIME in research to understand the basics of a product. I mean, how can they when they have to watch the latest episode of Game of Thrones for the sixth time?

I can't tell you how many people have told me "I have an Android/iPhone because my friend has one"... as if that is a legitimate reason to purchase something.

Lots of people think iOS/Android is better than BB10/WP8, and I might even be inclined to agree. I respect that these people actually assess the market and make an informed choice, but the sheep, they upset me.

I'm z10ing. Yes, I invented a verb.
    Well said. (for a Chelsea supporter he he
    07-25-14 08:21 PM
    Exactly! And knowing that is what YOU like to do and most likely do it well is part of my aforementioned skillset. .
    What role do you think ecosystem (as a feature) will play in BBRY's potential resurgence?
    07-25-14 08:23 PM
    I think you don't take criticism well. We must be honest, even when negative, to move forward. Wearing rose-colored glasses doesn't work. You continually bring up my old signature where I stated that my comments were only my opinion. Why do you do that and what's wrong with that? We ALL are stating our opinions and I don't say anyone else's is wrong or shouldn't be stated. We can have conversations without trying to mock other platforms in order to make ours seem better. Again, just my opinion which could be wrong. I'm not perfect. It's ONLY a phone forum. It shouldn't be be so friggin serious!!!!

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    Your signature was carefully worded come on, you know that ,you are very intelligent and towards what end it was crafted that way, to skirt the rules of the site. You are the one who seems not to take criticism well. Yes it's a phone and yes Its a phone forum for fans of BlackBerry, no one is looking at anything through Rose Coloured Glasses but if one choses to do that it's ok too, again it's a BlackBerry Fan site. Respectfully I'm not attacking I'm just saying how it comes off. Have a Goodnight.

Posted via CB10
    LoneStarRed and bungaboy like this.
    07-25-14 08:30 PM
    07-25-14 08:31 PM
    The average consumer is a sheep. They invest NO TIME in research to understand the basics of a product. I mean, how can they when they have to watch the latest episode of Game of Thrones for the sixth time?

I can't tell you how many people have told me "I have an Android/iPhone because my friend has one"... as if that is a legitimate reason to purchase something.

Lots of people think iOS/Android is better than BB10/WP8, and I might even be inclined to agree. I respect that these people actually assess the market and make an informed choice, but the sheep, they upset me.

I'm z10ing. Yes, I invented a verb.
    An average person who doesn't know a lot about tech and decided to search online would find a million sites that say iPhones suck, a million that say android sucks, etc. and just as many sites saying the respective products are great. They would also find lots of information about gigabytes, megapixels, benchmarks, and the like. If you really like phones that might be fun. If you are just a casual user though, you might be better off relying on a trusted friend who has similar likes, interests, and needs as you. If my friend, who is a lot like me, is very satisfied with a product, there is a good chance I'll be satisfied too. And bonus that we both have compatible devices for various sharing features. What's wrong with that?

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    TgeekB, Tre Lawrence and TGR1 like this.
    07-25-14 08:33 PM
    Your signature was carefully worded come on, you know that ,you are very intelligent and towards what end it was crafted that way, to skirt the rules of the site. You are the one who seems not to take criticism well. Yes it's a phone and yes Its a phone forum for fans of BlackBerry, no one is looking at anything through Rose Coloured Glasses but if one choses to do that it's ok too, again it's a BlackBerry Fan site. Respectfully I'm not attacking I'm just saying how it comes off. Have a Goodnight.

Posted via CB10
    Actually I was not trying to skirt rules, it's not important to me. I was attempting to get people to have fun discussing our hobby without taking things personal. It's pretty simple to understand. Some people will always attempt to look deeper and make something out of nothing. I tend to be simpler and straight forward.

Have a good night also. Hopefully we can continue to have conversations about smartphones in a less serious manner.

07-25-14 08:44 PM
    An average person who doesn't know a lot about tech and decided to search online would find a million sites that say iPhones suck, a million that say android sucks, etc. and just as many sites saying the respective products are great. They would also find lots of information about gigabytes, megapixels, benchmarks, and the like. If you really like phones that might be fun. If you are just a casual user though, you might be better off relying on a trusted friend who has similar likes, interests, and needs as you. If my friend, who is a lot like me, is very satisfied with a product, there is a good chance I'll be satisfied too. And bonus that we both have compatible devices for various sharing features. What's wrong with that?

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

07-25-14 08:45 PM
    Actually I was not trying to skirt rules, it's not important to me. I was attempting to get people to have fun discussing our hobby without taking things personal. It's pretty simple to understand. Some people will always attempt to look deeper and make something out of nothing. I tend to be simpler and straight forward.

Have a good night also. Hopefully we can continue to have conversations about smartphones in a less serious manner.

Look forward to it, thanks, Goodnight.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-25-14 08:49 PM

Well said.
    07-25-14 08:54 PM
    What role do you think ecosystem (as a feature) will play in BBRY's potential resurgence?
    To answer your question Tre:
    Ecosystem is important. It can do several things for you. Firstly it can be an income stream. Chen obviously knows this and is making sure that the services BlackBerry offers are top notch. This has a follow on effect of positive brand reflection and affinity. One of the biggest hurdles BlackBerry has to negotiate is the negative impression left by media. Positive experiences generate invaluable word of mouth buzz.

The continuing effort by Samsung and Apple to establish themselves in the secure communications ecosystem validates Chen's vision that services rather than hardware can be a cash cow for BlackBerry. And BlackBerry already Has the pedigree so it only makes sense. He comes from SAP and has seen that play out over and over.

Now looking at hardware (phones) is a logical step to next exploit what BlackBerry does well in the services area. A client base that has as imperatives security and efficient communication is a natural adopter of BlackBerry hardware. Especially IF said hardware is blazing fast AND looks cool. The functional part will validate the emotional decision to " get that hot new BlackBerry ". Don't forget that many have had BlackBerry and to this day have NOT found anything which allows them to communication as efficiently. This demands a WELL DONE MARKETING CAMPAIGN (did I stress that enough? ) To allow people the logical validation to corroborate the emotional desire for a BlackBerry is critical. Especially since we are dealing with the reversal of a lot of social pressure against BlackBerry. And this is true for all demographic groups , be they suited and booted or workplace casual. The " ohh what is that?" factor is key to this dynamic. Though the target market is professionals, the reception of the Z3 amongst the South African college students tells me that BlackBerry has latent markets in other demographics as well. Especially outside the US.

I hope that answers your question Tre.
    07-25-14 09:02 PM
    You didn't read my post close enough. Apple's implementation is clearly different. Are you saying that the atrix and s5 don't require you to keep your finger straight and swipe across the scanner? You don't think that simply placing your finger in any orientation on the home button to unlock with fingerprint is unique? A fingerprint sensor is not unique (obviously). The implementation is different.
    You obviously did not read my post close enough either. As I said, you would split hairs here to save face, which I totally expected. Apple marketed a "finger print reader" as a new and innovated feature "never seen before". Not once did they frame that as "the new APPLE finger print reader". There is a fine line between the two, yet they are distinct.

Had Apple made it clear this was a new Apple feature, and not a "new feature" all around in the smartphone world, then you would have a point. Because Apple touted it as a brand new feature to any phone, no, your point is moot. I am unsure of how else a finger print scanner could be "implemented"; all require a physical touch and read of one's fingerprint for it to work. You are merely caught up in the fact that one device requires it to be stationary and the other to be swiped.

Apple has a bad track record of doing this; taking an existing feature and putting very little spin into it, putting an "i" in front of it and claiming they created the entire thing start to finish. I know that is a hard fact for some Apple fans to accept, but it is true; even Apple engages in this practice, as does other companies.
    Last edited by Smitty13; 07-25-14 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
    LoneStarRed and bungaboy like this.
    07-25-14 09:34 PM
    Love this.

I honestly am very excited to buy myself a smartwatch. The Moto 360 looks very appealing... I'm still a loyal BlackBerry user, but I will definitely use a smartwatch someday in the future. Very slick and convienient. Maybe I will use that tethered to my Passport-to-be, so I can keep it from being a discomfort in my pocket.
    07-25-14 10:24 PM
    You obviously did not read my post close enough either. As I said, you would split hairs here to save face, which I totally expected. Apple marketed a "finger print reader" as a new and innovated feature "never seen before". Not once did they frame that as "the new APPLE finger print reader". There is a fine line between the two, yet they are distinct.

Had Apple made it clear this was a new Apple feature, and not a "new feature" all around in the smartphone world, then you would have a point. Because Apple touted it as a brand new feature to any phone, no, your point is moot. I am unsure of how else a finger print scanner could be "implemented"; all require a physical touch and read of one's fingerprint for it to work. You are merely caught up in the fact that one device requires it to be stationary and the other to be swiped.

Apple has a bad track record of doing this; taking an existing feature and putting very little spin into it, putting an "i" in front of it and claiming they created the entire thing start to finish. I know that is a hard fact for some Apple fans to accept, but it is true; even Apple engages in this practice, as does other companies.
    Can you link to a quote from any Apple representative who said that apple was the first company to use a fingerprint scanner in a phone? No one at apple said that and neither did I. Apple's specific implementation of the feature was new. If you removed the scanner parts from the atrix, S5, and iPhone 5s and asked people to try the fingerprint scanner alone outside the phone, the iphone method would still be noticeably different to the user than the other two. The difference goes well beyond placement on the home button vs. elsewhere.

P.S. I've known about the atrix and s5 fingerprint scanners for a long time. Like many others around here, I'm what you might call a smartphone enthusiast, so I'm not saving face. You didn't school me on anything I didn't already know. I thought my initial post made clear that the iphone implantation was different because you didn't have to line up your finger and swipe at a certain consistent speed. I posted that initial post specifically with the atrix and s5 in mind.

EDIT: I don't mean to be too pissy here. I had a bad day today, so I guess that's the mood I'm in. Was just thinking though that "splitting hairs" is exactly what everyone does in smartphone forums. If we didn't point out the little differences in various implementations of features, the forums would pretty much cease to exist. In a sick way, that's kind of the fun of debating phones. Anyway, cheers, goodnight.
    Last edited by MmmHmm; 07-25-14 at 11:23 PM.
    07-25-14 11:04 PM
    No one in the clip was fooled by that. You can tell by their reactions. No one is that dumb! Everyone knows what a Casio watch looks like!

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 11:17 PM
    but my question is are people loyal to the brand for the right reasons, or of their own reasoning, or is it like most because their friend next store has it and peer pressure sets in, ....
    All of the above.........

Posted via Z10
    shaleem likes this.
    07-25-14 11:32 PM
    Can you link to a quote from any Apple representative who said that apple was the first company to use a fingerprint scanner in a phone? No one at apple said that and neither did I. Apple's specific implementation of the feature was new. If you removed the scanner parts from the atrix, S5, and iPhone 5s and asked people to try the fingerprint scanner alone outside the phone, the iphone method would still be noticeably different to the user than the other two. The difference goes well beyond placement on the home button vs. elsewhere.

P.S. I've known about the atrix and s5 fingerprint scanners for a long time. Like many others around here, I'm what you might call a smartphone enthusiast, so I'm not saving face. You didn't school me on anything I didn't already know. I thought my initial post made clear that the iphone implantation was different because you didn't have to line up your finger and swipe at a certain consistent speed. I posted that initial post specifically with the atrix and s5 in mind.

EDIT: I don't mean to be too pissy here. I had a bad day today, so I guess that's the mood I'm in. Was just thinking though that "splitting hairs" is exactly what everyone does in smartphone forums. If we didn't point out the little differences in various implementations of features, the forums would pretty much cease to exist. In a sick way, that's kind of the fun of debating phones. Anyway, cheers, goodnight.
    Where did I say I "schooled you" on anything? You can't point that out quite simply because it doesn't exist.

You are getting mighty defensive about a smartphone here. Almost as if...ah what's the phrase I'm looking for...brand loyalty let's say...is kind of getting the better of you? Oh wait...

Believe me when I tell you, I am as much of a smartphone enthusiast as you are, but I have absolutely no qualms about calling out any company in particular about anything I perceive as wrong or misleading; that goes for BlackBerry as well. You will find numerous posts of me being critical of every platform and their pitfalls on CrackBerry.

Suffice to say, I do believe we are in a war of semantics here and I do not see either of us conceding to the other, so it may be best to just let the rest of the users flesh this thread out? I think it is safe to say we both just hold differing views on the topic and do not necessarily see it through the lens of the other, so perhaps it's best to hold onto our own views on this one. Everyone else, have at it!
    07-26-14 12:04 AM
    Nah man its the power of stupidity or herd mentality!

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    yep im with you on that
    07-26-14 12:50 AM
    lol...CrackBerry its the place to be! That was a funny video clip....fascinating though how there are those who post the 'I am level-headed thinker, you are BlackBerry fanatic' on a BlackBerry fan site (the purpose of which is to attract persons who have an affimity for BlackBerry beyond seeing it as 'just a phone'). How did you get here then?
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-26-14 01:10 AM
    Mmm. Interesting. I think they didn't look at the data that showed people didn't want a work-out phone any more. Now that's all they have, which is fine. Do it better than the rest and become lean. Perhaps the Passport will do well and help them solidify that niche. I don't know, just contemplating.

Already BlackBerry is the best work phone. I think the Passport will cure the problem that most people are unaware that BlackBerry is the best solution for business. I also don't think that enterprise is a niche business, after all, work is what most people do all day. If it's a niche, it's a damn big one. It was the niche that propelled the company to the number one slot in record time. I think it was a mistake trying to cater to the consumer in the first place. Sure, make the handsets available to the consumer but don't court their business and in no way tailor your efforts to such a fickle audience. Xerox don't do it, IBM is more enterprise focussed, QNX is business and healthcare oriented, JCB, Cat and John Deere don't value the consumer space at all. All these companies and a good many others are doing very well indeed thankyouverymuch. I think BlackBerry lost it's way once and paid dearly for it.

I don't think it'll happen again.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    07-26-14 02:13 AM
    I totally disagree! A well vetted and marketed BlackBerry that looks cool will sell units. Too many decision makers have had BlackBerry in the past and are now frustrated by their Apple/Androids.
    They went to Android/Apple because they were frustrated with their BBOS devices. It is harder, much harder to win back customers that left your product because they got sick and tired of it being able to do nothing more than messaging an email. BlackBerry rode the BBOS horse into the ground, dragging the brand down with it. I bet it is likely that 99% of people still associate BlackBerry BBOS, mostly with Curves and BBOS 5.X, and fewer with 9900 and 7.x. This is true even in their Niche spaces.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    07-26-14 08:13 AM
    They went to Android/Apple because they were frustrated with their BBOS devices. It is harder, much harder to win back customers that left your product because they got sick and tired of it being able to do nothing more than messaging an email. BlackBerry rode the BBOS horse into the ground, dragging the brand down with it. I bet it is likely that 99% of people still associate BlackBerry BBOS, mostly with Curves and BBOS 5.X, and fewer with 9900 and 7.x. This is true even in their Niche spaces.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    You are right but it is also harder to get those Blackberry users who left the brand for Apple and Android back because you now need to pull them away from products which are generally very well liked and popular. Not as easy as just having lost customers and then trying to take them back from subpar products.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-26-14 08:55 AM
    Marketing 101

The general public doesn't care about the details...it's all about the brand.

Jimmy Kimmel Passes Off $20 Casio Watch as the iWatch | Digital Trends
    And than at the bottom of the webpage it shows an add, saying "...Look for These 5 Signs That Dementia is Starting in Your Brain..."

Fits quite well, don't you think?

Posted via CB10
    07-26-14 09:09 AM
    Where did I say I "schooled you" on anything? You can't point that out quite simply because it doesn't exist.

You are getting mighty defensive about a smartphone here. Almost as if...ah what's the phrase I'm looking for...brand loyalty let's say...is kind of getting the better of you? Oh wait...

Believe me when I tell you, I am as much of a smartphone enthusiast as you are, but I have absolutely no qualms about calling out any company in particular about anything I perceive as wrong or misleading; that goes for BlackBerry as well. You will find numerous posts of me being critical of every platform and their pitfalls on CrackBerry.

Suffice to say, I do believe we are in a war of semantics here and I do not see either of us conceding to the other, so it may be best to just let the rest of the users flesh this thread out? I think it is safe to say we both just hold differing views on the topic and do not necessarily see it through the lens of the other, so perhaps it's best to hold onto our own views on this one. Everyone else, have at it!
    Agree to disagree.

07-26-14 09:54 AM
    At this point I'm pretty sure leaving off the BlackBerry logo will move more product.

Posted via CB10
    I am pretty sure that the average consumer doesn't even recognize the BlackBerry logo.
    07-26-14 12:20 PM
    Why are people arguing here as if their smartphone choices are as important as their religious/political/whatever-REALLY-important ones?

Geez I hate myself to have to use this, but I really don't have a choice: First World problems.

Get grip, go out, stop worrying yourself for what others do with their lives; really some would jump and say "I don't care!" Well, sorry bro, you sound like you really care.
    Enjoy your choices, people buy what they want. Apple has made a impressive job making people use their products; if you don't like them, good for you, but please stop dissing on people who do like them and taking an stupid sketch seriously because you're the ones sounding like a freaking cult.
    Last edited by FRG_RC; 07-26-14 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    TgeekB and bbq10l like this.
    07-26-14 12:32 PM
127 ... 23456