I think Leafs123's point is that Montreal is in Quebec, which wants to secede from the rest of Canada. So, they don't have the same allegiance to Canadian companies that cities in other provinces might have.

On another (unrelated) note, the iPhone is simple to use. There's almost no learning curve. That makes it ideal for those who can't be bothered hoe to use a smartphone or don't have the time and patience. That makes it possibly a better choice for city employees, right now. Along with the fact that few (if any) would have much they need to keep secure.

So, we have 1122 phones in a city that's part of a separatist province that wants nothing to do with the rest of Canada, anyway. Compared to what? 80,000,000 BBs worldwide. Good luck, Montreal.
    Montreal is beautiful and special in its own right. Personally i think Quebec will never leave Canada for financial reasons. I've been told that Quebec taxes are very high and just imagine the province separates from the rest of Canada and now it has to pay for its own army,foreign embassies etc. etc. etc. with hardly 8,000,000 people. Financial suicide imo. Hopefully Quebecker will understand one day that its French heritage is celebrated by the rest of the country because its makes Canada special in its own way.

Having said that i still think it sucks that Montreal drops RIM phones.
    -FlyingDucks- likes this.
    11-03-12 02:42 PM
    I'm sure once they factor in the cost of a new mobile device management system (mdm) like Good instead of BES the cost per phone will NOT result of any savings. But it's not like they published the details of the savings did they? Mobile Fusion is cheaper per phone than the competition, and more secure.
    11-03-12 03:00 PM
    I'm sure once they factor in the cost of a new mobile device management system (mdm) like Good instead of BES the cost per phone will NOT result of any savings. But it's not like they published the details of the savings did they? Mobile Fusion is cheaper per phone than the competition, and more secure.
    Why do they have to change? Are they using BES right now? Is it possible they're already on good or fusion?
    11-03-12 03:02 PM
    Way to stay loyal. I'm going on a poutine strike b/c of this.
    Last edited by Kennedy.L; 11-03-12 at 06:05 PM.
    11-03-12 05:33 PM
    Way to stay loyal. I'm going on a poutine strike b/c of this.
    I'm a big fan of loyal when it comes to Mom and Pop businesses that treat you well. When it comes to multinational corporations? Nope!

Unless I can call up RIM, or Apple, or Samsung, and say "Hey....times are tight right now....so if you could just give me a new phone for free, and maybe a little cash to see me through, that'd be great!", then I'm not doing them personal favors either! ;-)

PS. Go easy on the poutine strike. It's not good....if your arteries open up, and the blood starts flowing wildly, that's not good. Your brain may function differently...you'll become a different person! What will your family think?? You might go wild with energy, and find superhuman strength due to muscular blood flow. Nobody wants you walking around on some kind of blood flow high, with engorged members, probably saying things like "ewwww....how can you eat THAT?! Try my vegy nut ball!!!"
    11-03-12 06:36 PM
    You know things are bad when Canadians are dropping blackberry for Apple. This has to be considered a new "low" for RIM.
    11-03-12 06:54 PM
    I'm down here in United States, not a Canadian. Frankly (don't you hate sentences that begin with that word?) I no fan of Apple, don't want Windows, and am pulled to replace my aging 9650 with a Samsung S3, but that's parachuting into Android territory. All of those choices are crawling with avoid, avoid, avoid.

So I keep my BB. I pray to the Canadian gods, who have generally been sensible in large matters, to get right with RIM putting their 10 on market next quarter and get back into business. The work flow of the 10 is right as god and yes, they should have done it two years ago, but ....I willing to give them one more calendar quarter, and if not then it's into enemy territory.

Packing my parachute.
    11-03-12 08:02 PM
    Why do they have to change? Are they using BES right now? Is it possible they're already on good or fusion?
    They would not have Good right now as it can't manage BlackBerrys (Which they are currently running)
    They could be running Mobile Fusion, but that's unlikely given that it only just came out last year & the fact that as Montreal only ran BlackBerrys, there would have been no need for them to swith their BES servers over.
    11-03-12 08:42 PM
58 123