I recently bought a Blackberry Curve 8320 from T-Mobile.

For some reason, I can't get my Blackberry Curve to function properly with my University's Wi-Fi; a screen displaying "...Cisco VPN Client is needed..." appears after I establish a Wi-FI connection and try to use the Browser.

So, I ask the wise men and women of CrackBerry, what is a Cisco VPN client and how do I obtain and use this elusive feature?

By the way, I happened upon this website by chance; Crackberry is a great resource and I'm glad to be apart of the community.
    08-30-08 01:15 PM
    bump

09-01-08 11:36 PM
    Can you connect via wifi using any other device such as a laptop. Normally a VPN client is not required for a normal WiFi connection but the university may have implemented it as an additional layer of security - in which case you need to talk to the Uni IT dept.
    09-02-08 04:25 AM
    I've had the same annoyances from my wifi network at the University of Florida. Here anyways, you can download VPN software for computers and the like but there is no Blackberry VPN. That aside my 8820 has a VPN feature built in and Cisco is an option (options -> security options -> VPN). That said you may need somone from your university's IT department to help you set it up. Goodluck!
    09-05-08 08:08 PM
    I've had the same annoyances from my wifi network at the University of Florida.

Crazy, I go to the University of Florida as well.

I finally got my blackberry to work by going to a different site on campus, with 100% public wi-fi (the gym, lol), and registering with the university's VPN client etc. Problem solved
    09-07-08 01:53 PM
    I was searching for a Blackberry Cisco VPN for this exact same reason, as I too go to UF.

I've got my Pearl 8120 to work quite well with the Campus Wi-Fi. I can even make UMA calls over it, signal permitting, and it will even hand-over the connection from one AP to another sometimes, but not always.

Here's how: First check your settings. In the Blackberry Browser Settings, Check 'Support Javascript', and UN-check 'Allow Javascript Popup'. My emulation mode is set to Blackberry, but I think I've had it work with others, except I'm pretty sure one of them won't work but I don't know which right now. Don't know if this matters but, "Content Mode: WML & HTML."

Now you've also probably had the network 'ufw' pop-up and say its connected but the 'Wi-Fi' Icon will never light up and you don't know why. Also, if you've had 'ufw' pop-up before then go into "Wi-Fi options," go to 'ufw' push the menu button and select 'edit' make sure that 'automatically obtain IP and DNS' is checked as well as "allow inter-access point handover" and not sure if this matters but 'prompt for connection' is unchecked for me.

Okay now here's the somewhat tricky part. Start with your CELLULAR RADIO and WI-FI OFF. Once they're all red, turn your Wi-Fi on. You should see 'ufw' pop up but the signal still says off, and the wi-fi logo is dim. Go into the BB browser, (not any other) and delete the 'www' and type "connect.nomadic.ufl.edu" It should bring you up to the UF Walk-up internet port login, except with two sets of login boxes, use either one. Now login normally with your gatorlink account, and it should say login successful after a warning about attempting to load a new page. Allow it to load a new page, and it may ask if it can refresh pages automatically, allow this too.

If it says that you are not in an area that can handle data, start over by turning all radios on and off again. Sometimes the order that I turn them off and on matters. Try turning on the wi-fi before you turn off the cell and then turn the cell off while the wi-fi is still yellow. Or you may need to reset the device and pull the battery and try again.

Once, the Wi-Fi logo is lit up, make sure you do not exit the browser, just hit 'end call' to go back to the home screen or switch application to leave it open in the background. You can turn the cell radio back on at this point and you'll still be connected. If you're using this for UMA calling, make sure to set UMA as the preferred signal, if you turn the cell radio back on. Enjoy UF's campus-wide Wi-Fi!
    03-12-09 06:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD