Does Chromecast work on the z10? And does it work on a normal cheap hdmi capable television? I don't have those expensive smart tvs but thinking I might go on a bold and try out technology

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 11:49 AM
    Does Chromecast work on the z10? And does it work on a normal cheap hdmi capable television? I don't have those expensive smart tvs but thinking I might go on a bold and try out technology

Posted via CB10
    The Chromecast hardware will work on any TV or monitor with a full size HDMI port. I'm not sure if the software will work on BB10 or not, but if it does, I strongly recommend buying one. I use mine all the time.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-03-14 11:51 AM
    I don't think it works with BB10. Bought for my husband who has an SG2. He returned it because we had to keep our Wifi open.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    01-03-14 05:59 PM
    Unfortunately Z10's hardware doesn't have miracast certification which would allow it to screen share wirelessly to a dongle or TV, etc.

The only thing you can do, and be sure it works, that is similar to chromecast, is DLNA which requires a wifi network and DLNA capable devices to stream video and pictures.

- Developer of PinGuin
    01-03-14 06:03 PM
    I don't think it works with BB10. Bought for my husband who has an SG2. He returned it because we had to keep our Wifi open.

Open as in no password? Please explain.

With mine, you enter your password using the app and it connects just like any other allowed WiFi device.
    01-03-14 06:38 PM
    Unfortunately Z10's hardware doesn't have miracast certification which would allow it to screen share wirelessly to a dongle or TV, etc.

The only thing you can do, and be sure it works, that is similar to chromecast, is DLNA which requires a wifi network and DLNA capable devices to stream video and pictures.

- Developer of PinGuin
    Chromecast doesn't use miracast.

It completely works through your WiFi connection. The only thing your smartphone, tablet or PC is used for is for sending commands to the Chromecast over the WiFi connection. The Chromecast then loads up and plays the requested media. No streaming actually takes places between it and your device. You can actually start a Netflix movie and completely turn off the device you used to start the movie and the movie will continue to play.
    01-03-14 06:41 PM
    Chromecast doesn't use miracast.

It completely works through your WiFi connection. The only thing your smartphone, tablet or PC is used for is for sending commands to the Chromecast over the WiFi connection. The Chromecast then loads up and plays the requested media. No streaming actually takes places between it and your device. You can actually start a Netflix movie and completely turn off the device you used to start the movie and the movie will continue to play.
    My post was referring to the ability to do anything similar to chromecast, but yes you're correct.

- Developer of PinGuin
    01-03-14 06:55 PM
    My post was referring to the ability to do anything similar to chromecast, but yes you're correct.

- Developer of PinGuin
    Oh I see
    01-03-14 07:07 PM
    Chromecast does work with some android apps. Youtube i know has worked in the past. Not sure about hulu and netflix.
    01-03-14 07:13 PM

With mine, you enter your password using the app and it connects just like any other allowed WiFi device.
    What Saiga said. I did have some trouble connecting mine at first, but that was because I had just gotten a new Internet provider and I hadn't done something to fully activate my account. After getting that squared away with my ISP I was able to connect with no issues to my secured wifi.

Saiga actually sold me my chromecast a few months ago and I think I've used it every day since!
    Saiga likes this.
    01-03-14 07:14 PM
    Chromecast does work with some android apps. Youtube i know has worked in the past. Not sure about hulu and netflix.
    No Netflix. YouTube is the only app that seems to work with it for whatever reason. I've tested them all at various stages.
    01-03-14 07:21 PM
    If you're at all worried about compatibility, I'd recommend looking at some of the Android TV sticks that are available out there. They should all support XBMC, and several of them support miracast, Airplay, etc.
    01-03-14 07:34 PM

I don't set our network up, he does since he is in IT. He said that his security concern is the fact that our network needs to remain visible in order for Chromecast to work. We do have it password protected but he prefers our home network to remain hidden. People cannot hack into a network that is hidden because they cannot see it.

Last edited by Jordane02; 01-03-14 at 07:58 PM.
    01-03-14 07:45 PM
    Chromecast can be set up in a secure wireless network environment. It does not need an open wifi. Initially Chromecast sets up an open wifi hotspot of it's own for your to connect a device to run the Chromcast setup. This is for the initial setting up the wifi settings on the stick. after that the Chromecast app is no longer needed unless you set it up again under a different wifi.

It currently does not have Z10 support. It only works on Android and iOS versions of the Chromecast supported devices Chromecast. You MIGHT be able to load the APK onto the Z10 and it might work. But you'll need to make sure the app in question has the Chromecast support, so basically the latest versions.
    01-03-14 08:32 PM
    People cannot hack into a network that is hidden because they cannot see it.
    If you (he?) are referring to broadcasting the SSID, then this is false. I have no trouble seeing (or even hacking) a WiFi connection regardless of whether the SSID is being broadcast or not. The signal is still present and its presence is easily detected. Access points "secured" with WEP are pretty easily broken into. Modern WPA2 is much more difficult due to the improved encryption, but whether the SSID is present or not really makes zero difference.

Just so you know.
    01-03-14 09:50 PM
    It doesn't work with the z10 but it can be connected securely to your wifi.
    The only problem you'll have os that you need to download the app in order to control the dongle.
    This is only available via either the app store or google play.
    I use it woth my wifes galaxy player and it seems to work very well.
    They are also getting updates the most recent includes hbo go but i haven't tested it myself.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 10:07 PM
    Chromecast works fine with z10. Simply go to ereader and download the android YouTube app, and set up your Chromecast of course

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 10:41 PM
    Thank you all for the reply. With chromecast for example and miralcast (Ik my old z10 is not capable ), is there a limitation to it?

For example does chromecast allow you to stream something from the phones browser? Like say I'm watching a football game am I allowed to stream this?

Again appreciate the responses

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 08:48 AM
    Thank you all for the reply. With chromecast for example and miralcast (Ik my old z10 is not capable ), is there a limitation to it?

For example does chromecast allow you to stream something from the phones browser? Like say I'm watching a football game am I allowed to stream this?

Posted via CB10
    The Chrome browser for Android will not stream to Chrome cast yet, but the Chrome browser for PC has an extension called Google Cast that allows you to mirror your browser tabs along with the rest of the PC.
    01-04-14 09:44 AM
    Thanks will give it a try

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 11:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    In all honesty, miracast is probably the best as it let's you screen share anything on your phone, unless the developer specifically puts code in their app to block miracast use of their app. The advantages are that miracast is supported by many TVs, laptops, almost all the new high end Androids and BlackBerry. It let's you stream up to 1080p and audio. There's a few millisecond lag between what you do on your phone and what happens on the screen, so not good for gaming. But perfect for Web browsing, video watching/streaming and audio streaming.

I'm a pretty advocate for miracast and it's a relatively cheap expense($60 dongle) if you have the phone for it.

- Developer of PinGuin
    01-04-14 12:16 PM
    Well unfortunately as with everything blackberry, they always get it wrong the first time. I have a z10 lol

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 12:59 PM
    Chromecast works fine with z10. Simply go to ereader and download the android YouTube app, and set up your Chromecast of course

Posted via CB10
    You know Chromecast is for more than just YouTube though right? You can't say it works 'fine' because it works on YouTube. Truth of it all is, YouTube is pretty much the only app you can run on BlackBerry 10 that Chromecast actually works with.
    01-04-14 01:36 PM
    In all honesty, miracast is probably the best as it let's you screen share anything on your phone, unless the developer specifically puts code in their app to block miracast use of their app.
    The problems with Miracast (depending on your point of view) is that lots of media that you can stream to the phone is blocked from being Miracasted to your larger screen, due to licensing restrictions. This affects all ecosystems, not just BB, but it sucks. And, unlike Chromecast, say, Miracast ties up your device while you're using the Miracast function. Chromecast is only "controlled/initiated" by your device, but once it's playing something (music or a video), your device is no longer being used and can be used for other things or even shut off, because the Chromecast itself is doing all the work.

Both are useful technologies, but both have advantages and limitations that will be important depending on what you plan to do with them.
    01-04-14 02:07 PM
    The problems with Miracast (depending on your point of view) is that lots of media that you can stream to the phone is blocked from being Miracasted to your larger screen, due to licensing restrictions. This affects all ecosystems, not just BB, but it sucks. And, unlike Chromecast, say, Miracast ties up your device while you're using the Miracast function. Chromecast is only "controlled/initiated" by your device, but once it's playing something (music or a video), your device is no longer being used and can be used for other things or even shut off, because the Chromecast itself is doing all the work.

Both are useful technologies, but both have advantages and limitations that will be important depending on what you plan to do with them.
    Fair enough, I heard protected content could be streamed but haven't tried yet with a movie downloaded from BlackBerry world.

- Developer of PinGuin
    01-04-14 02:14 PM
26 12