Just wondering if you could reply, or maybe get an article going on what's been driving the stock price up. Is it just the more positive sentiment in the news/blogs? Possibly the announcement of the big 3 carriers being on board?
    01-11-13 02:08 PM
    That's easy. Don't need Umi for this one

Look.. there's a lot of people who have RIM stock shorted. There's also been a lot of positive buzz this week about BlackBerry 10. Carrier support, good reviews hitting the net, etc.

As soon as there's positive sentiment, all the short stock people start closing out their positions for fear of the price going up. And that act of buying back stock drives the stock back up faster. And that's what you're seeing... shorts covering their positions which pushes it up.
    01-11-13 02:13 PM
    Also, Nokia has proved that the market is open to more than just iOS & Android. It proved that people aren't loyal to those two OS's just because of the ecosystem.

ie. Proof that BB10 has a chance in gaining meaningful market share
    MoolahMitch, Stewartj1 and q649 like this.
    01-11-13 02:17 PM
    I have read on another thread that presales are looking pretty good and that Rogers and they've had to order more to meet demand.. I don't know if this is true, but it would also be very good news for the stock price.
    01-11-13 02:22 PM
    Also, Nokia has proved that the market is open to more than just iOS & Android. It proved that people aren't loyal to those two OS's just because of the ecosystem.

the iOS crazy is just that a crazy to follow what everyone else is doing and thats really all its ever been, iOS is good but it doesn't deserve the hype it gets in my honest opinion. Android is a more usable OS but its also offered in much more then one brands devices so it is more comonly used as manufactures don't have to write their own OS and could save the money on manufacturing hardware
    01-11-13 02:24 PM
    I have read on another thread that presales are looking pretty good and that Rogers and they've had to order more to meet demand.. I don't know if this is true, but it would also be very good news for the stock price.
    thats what Rogers told BGR in an e mail and i believe it
    spike12 likes this.
    01-11-13 02:25 PM
    Palm webOS launched on one carrier. Blackberry 10 is launching on over 150 carriers.
    01-11-13 02:33 PM
    Kevin and Crackberry crew,

Don't be so modest,lol. You and your crew have headed off the shorts at the path also, in a major way by starting your Toronto condo marketing blitz ahead of Jan 30 2013, friggin genius if you ask me!

You guys have in a huge way have closed the "gap" from now until Jan 30 2013, textbook perfect!

Look.. there's a lot of people who have RIM stock shorted. There's also been a lot of positive buzz this week about BlackBerry 10. Carrier support, good reviews hitting the net, etc.

As soon as there's positive sentiment, all the short stock people start closing out their positions for fear of the price going up. And that act of buying back stock drives the stock back up faster. And that's what you're seeing... shorts covering their positions which pushes it up.
    spike12, q649 and anon(3896606) like this.
    01-11-13 02:33 PM
    News that Sprint will be carrying BB10 later this year. All four major US carriers are onboard now.
    01-11-13 02:37 PM

True, I think "re-affirmed" is a better word. The market keeps forgetting that despite all the iPhones and Androids out there, RIM has 80 million customers now. Seems silly to me that the question, "is there room for a third platform" would even come up when there are that many BlackBerry customers in existence now. The real question is, "is there room for a fourth"? I think there might be
    01-11-13 02:42 PM
    @GTiLeo ... BGR posted a pretty good article that indirectly touches on that. People just hopped on the Apple bandwagon because it was "cool." Now, since every kid's mom and dad has an iPhone, it's not so cool anymore.

'APPLE IS DONE' AND SURFACE TABLET IS COOL
    01-11-13 02:43 PM
    $13.56*1.6413.76%
    *Data as of 1/11/2013 4:04:42 PM *|** *After Hours *|*Research in Motion Limited

I keep hearing that Mazda commercial in my head.
    01-11-13 03:07 PM
    @GTiLeo ... BGR posted a pretty good article that indirectly touches on that. People just hopped on the Apple bandwagon because it was "cool." Now, since every kid's mom and dad has an iPhone, it's not so cool anymore.

i dont think its because everyones parents have one i think one of the big reasons is its pretty bland
    01-11-13 03:12 PM
    exactly, its no coincidence that ya post the video about the CB HQ and the price rises
    spike12 likes this.
    01-11-13 03:12 PM

I had a bunch of Appl stock in 2008.. sold early in mid 2010 for that exact reason - I saw the un-coolist paunch old men and midlife crisses people in my office started acting cool with their new iphone and I knew it was the end of "cool" for the brand lol
    01-11-13 03:20 PM
    I had a bunch of Appl stock in 2008.. sold early in mid 2010 for that exact reason - I saw the un-coolist paunch old men and midlife crisses people in my office started acting cool with their new iphone and I knew it was the end of "cool" for the brand lol
    and thats why not to base stock decisions on `cool` and `not cool` because in mid 2010 the stock was $250 apx for AAPL, as of today even with its `uncoolness` its over double - $520.
    obiously hindsight is 20/20, but stock value is usually based on the metrics with a sprinkle of sentiment, not vice versa
    01-11-13 03:22 PM
    Up about 14% so far today
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    01-11-13 03:30 PM

Look.. there's a lot of people who have RIM stock shorted.
    Run. Shorty. Run! A great number of shorts will be filling their shorts today! The volume was un-be-leave-able. 110 Million shares traded with a float of only ~440 million outside of the insiders that hold stock. Literally 25% of the company traded hands today!
    01-11-13 03:43 PM
    my guess is because of CES the QNX Bently with CAR 2 and BB10 code integrated into it allows everyone to see just how powerful the base structure is of BB10 and what it can accomplish. coupled with the news about apps and 6 devices coming out to target different price ranges
    spike12 likes this.
    01-11-13 04:00 PM
    Jan. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Research In Motion Ltd. shares jumped the most in more than two and a half years amid rising confidence the new BlackBerry 10 lineup will boost sales for the struggling smartphone maker.

Analysts received invitations today to the formal unveiling of the new phones on Jan. 30, a sign that the oft-delayed device is real and going to be released on time, said Anil Doradla, an analyst at William Blair & Co. in Chicago. A series of photos also were posted today on technology blog RapidBerry showing the new phones in action. RIM is releasing the BlackBerry 10 in both touch-screen and physical-keyboard versions.

�What you�re seeing here is the anticipation of the launch of these new phones, the anticipation of potentially healthy sell-through for at least one or two quarters,� Doradla said in an interview. He rates RIM the equivalent of a hold.

RIM jumped 14 percent to $13.56 at 4 p.m. in New York, the most since April, 2009. Optimism that the new phones will be successful has caused the stock to more than double since late September.

Sprint Nextel Corp., the third-largest U.S. carrier, also reiterated its support for the BlackBerry this week at the Consumer Electronics Show.

�We are working closely with RIM to try and get out a product this year,� Sprint Product Chief Fared Adib said at the conference. �The market is consolidating around Samsung and Apple, and that�s not necessarily a good thing. We need other players to do well.�

RIM plans to unveil the new phones in six cities around the world at the end of January, before putting them on sale in February and March. RIM needs a hit if it is to regain market share lost to Apple Inc.�s iPhone and devices that run Google Inc.�s Android. If the company doesn�t achieve that, the stock will tumble again, Doradla said.

�In the next 20 days, I expect the stock to trend upwards,� he said. �Once the product is launched, barring signs of sell-through exceeding street expectations, I expect the stock to pull back.�

To contact the reporter on this story: Hugo Miller in Toronto at
    [email protected]
    To contact the editor responsible for this story: Nick Turner at
    [email protected]
    ===
    Sent from Bloomberg for Blackberry. Download it from the Blackberry App World!
    01-11-13 04:19 PM
    To be fair to Apple, the expectations are so high on that company now that it becomes harder and harder to keep exceeding them.

The Surface is 'cool' to teens? I thought only geeks like me wanted to fiddle with them
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 01-11-13 at 04:36 PM.
    01-11-13 04:26 PM
    and thats why not to base stock decisions on `cool` and `not cool` because in mid 2010 the stock was $250 apx for AAPL, as of today even with its `uncoolness` its over double - $520.
    obiously hindsight is 20/20, but stock value is usually based on the metrics with a sprinkle of sentiment, not vice versa
    I respectably disagree; Sentiment is the driver of metrics, albeit with significant lag (due to product life and such). In all fad products - whether in fashion/tech/ even real estate - look to where trendsetters/early adopters are. Once this group leaves, you know the product/style/location is fading. I saw the trendsetters leaving apple at 2010... didn't anticipate it to take that long for Apple to loose its cool...and pulled the trigger too quick.

To RubberChicken's comment - agreed. Apple expectations were way too high.
    01-11-13 04:50 PM
    I respectably disagree; Sentiment is the driver of metrics, albeit with significant lag (due to product life and such). In all fad products - whether in fashion/tech/ even real estate - look to where trendsetters/early adopters are. Once this group leaves, you know the product/style/location is fading. I saw the trendsetters leaving apple at 2010... didn't anticipate it to take that long for Apple to loose its cool...and pulled the trigger too quick.

To RubberChicken's comment - agreed. Apple expectations were way too high.
    you know, your right, apple stock dropped lately off the back of a `so so` upgrade for the ipad, a iphone5 which is losing marketshare in a global situation and some serious OS issues.

wait, these are all quantifiable data points, factual issues, and not sentiment. I do get where your coming from with sentiment, but the figures never lie.
    01-11-13 05:03 PM
    wait, these are all quantifiable data points, factual issues, and not sentiment. I do get where your coming from with sentiment, but the figures never lie.
    I don't disagree; figures never lie. However, all quantifiable data points & figures only provide history, and is a poor indicator of the future. ie. Facts & figures IS hindsight. All the analysis can do is justify the stock price rather than predict the future - at least in companies such as BB nowadays and APPL who depend on new products to drive revenue. From now - untill the sales numbers for BB10 handsets come out - all pricing is based on sentiment and that sentiment for BB10 is looking HOT!
    01-11-13 06:12 PM
    Here's why:

There's still the same amount of shares today as there was yesterday.

More people want said shares more today than yesterday.

Ta-da!
    Dapper37 likes this.
    01-11-13 06:30 PM
27 12