We have a client running BES 5. The users have two email addresses: A "professional" like MrJones_at_MyCompanyDomain.com and Jonsey_at_MyCompanyDomain.com.

They want to give out Jonesy@ to family, friends, etc, and keep business as a different MrJones@ address. Setting this up in Exchange is easy (even with multiple [different] domains.)

I need to know if a BB allows a user to CHOOSE what "FROM" address they want to use with a BES account when composing an email like Outlook does?

Is this supported on a BB? If so, HOW? One user has a Storm, another has a CURVE and two others have TOUR phones. (Does the model make a difference?)
    Last edited by isdpcman; 03-18-10 at 06:18 PM.
    03-18-10 06:15 PM
    I am on bis but I think it is the same. When creating an email scroll up and click on your email. Any accts on the device are listed and you can choose which one to use.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-18-10 10:02 PM
    If the personal account is added to BIS, then yes, they'll have a separate mailbox icon for just that account. Also, in the latest versions of OS5, they'll be able to pick NOT to show those emails under the Messages icon, so their corporate email will remain visually separated from the personal email.
    03-18-10 10:21 PM
    We're not on BIS, it's BES. If I read your answers correctly you're saying there is NOT a way to chose the outbound account to use with BES then? Only the primary user email account is available?
    03-19-10 05:40 AM
    We're not on BIS, it's BES. If I read your answers correctly you're saying there is NOT a way to chose the outbound account to use with BES then? Only the primary user email account is available?
    If you have more than one email account setup on your device, when composing an outbound email there is a drop-down option to choose which email account you wish to send from. As well there is an option to set which email is the default account ( Options -> Advanced -> Default Services) which will be the default choice from the drop-down.
    03-19-10 06:09 AM
    No such luck. I do not have a dropdown menu after selecting Compose and hitting the bb button also shows no mention of another email account.
    03-19-10 09:28 AM
    are all the email accounts you speak of set up on your blackberry?...
    03-19-10 09:36 AM
    It's a BES system. Only one Exchange server allowed but the user has 3 different email accounts. In Outlook he can select a FROM account but in BB there's no option for this.
    03-19-10 09:38 AM
    I don't have BES but I understand what you're trying to do and I think the answer is no.

These alternative addresses are not physical addresses as such but alias addresses and to my understanding BES will support only the physical address.
    03-19-10 09:50 AM
    I believe mark is correct.
    I had my brother talk to his IT dept in NYC...he receives his personal mail on his berry but only as forwarded to his BES work acct.

However, at my old co., we ran RIM's software to push out email to winmobile devices and it worked...

As a workaround, can he pull up a mobile version of his personal acct's web access?
    03-19-10 09:57 AM
    I can't recall the specific policy rule off the top of my head, but I seem to recall that there is an IT Policy that can be set which enables/disables the ability to send from multiple messaging/mail services and/or accounts. As to whether it's set to True or False, I don't remember.
    03-19-10 09:57 AM
    I think JRSCCivic gave you the answer...if the person sets up the personal accounts on BIS (and I'm pretty sure any BES user is entitled to BIS as well) then they can do this.

In my case I have a work BB on the BES. But I also set up my personal account in BIS (BIS is set up using your PIN). When I start an e-mail I can go to the "Send Using" and change from my BES account to my personal e-mail addy.

I'm not sure if BES can bet set up to lock down BIS, however. Our policies are very liberal so I can set up on BIS with no issues, but tighter security might mean there's a way to turn off BIS capability at the BES server.
    03-19-10 11:45 AM
    BIS is a separate account. OK. I'll assume we've come to the conclusion that the answer is "no" :-(

Thanks for all the input! I had searched the web thru Google and came up empty. At least I now have an answer!
    03-19-10 01:35 PM
    BIS is a separate account. OK. I'll assume we've come to the conclusion that the answer is "no" :-(

Thanks for all the input! I had searched the web thru Google and came up empty. At least I now have an answer!
    Well, not if they set up the first address (in your example) via BIS instead of BES.

In my case I can access my work e-mail either through BES on my work BB, or I have it set up through BIS for my personal BB. We use Outlook.

On my work BB I can change the From address from my work e-mail addy (BES), or my personal (non work) e-mail addy (BIS).

On my personal BB I can change the from address from my personal or work e-mail addies as both are set up in BIS.

So theoretically if they can set that first address up in BIS instead of BES, they can do what you are asking.
    03-19-10 02:21 PM
    Here's the scenario: there are three email accounts for Joe:
    Jonesy@, MrJones@ and SalesGuy@ with three different domains (MyCompany.com; MyBiz.com and BestDevices.com)

Most of Joe's mail comes to MrJones; family uses Jonesy@ and some tradeshows he uses SalesGuy@. These all come to his Exchange mailbox and get forwarded to his BB. He would like to be able to SEND (from time to time) from the SalesGuy@ account or Jonesy@ but there's no option to select the FROM account when composing the email.
    03-19-10 02:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD