Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Which one would you recommend?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bold 9000

0 0%
  • Bold 9700

0 0%
  • Bold 9780

0 0%
  • Curve 9320

0 0%
  • Other (specify, please)

0 0%
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Choosing BB for GTD (replace Casio Digital Diary)

Greetings, I humbly ask BB users to help me choose the right device. I went throught specs and reviews, but it's best to ask people who had more devices so they can compare based on their own experience.

What I currently choose from is: Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Bold 9780, Curve 9320

Why am I getting BB phone? I want to get as close as possible to the personal digital diary by Casio. From what I've read, ToDoMatrix app should solve my problems on mobile phones. As it is BB only app, it's time for me to get one.

Primary atributes and needs(in order of importance):
    keyboard, overall snappiness, stability, battery life
    (if you think I miss something here, feel free to tell me)

Nice to have's:
    low weight, low price, autofocus, microusb

I don't care about phone size, looks, hardware specs (as long as system and ToDoMatrix run well), screen size, touch screen, webbrowser, media playback etc
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts

Are you using the Blackberry just as a diary? Why not just get a Bold 9900 or wait for a BB10 device?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Default reply for shemaree09

Yes, mainly for task planning ("GTD") with ToDoMatrix. I hope it will work as fast and efficient as these devices did: wikipedia-link
    So gtd, calls, maybe emails and occasional document photo (that's why autofocus wouldn't hurt, but I can live without).

Bold 9900 - I didn't include it to my list. From what I've heard, it lacks in battery life. And considering the price, looks like an overkill to me. Plus I don't really like touchscreen. Does it make up in other important fields compared to BB phones I have listed?

BB10 devices - still pig in a poke, but I don't like the no optical trackpad and less hardware buttons idea. Well maybe I will wait for them as they might lower prices for older devices.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by karet View Post
    Yes, mainly for task planning ("GTD") with ToDoMatrix. I hope it will work as fast and efficient as these devices did: wikipedia-link
    So gtd, calls, maybe emails and occasional document photo (that's why autofocus wouldn't hurt, but I can live without).

Bold 9900 - I didn't include it to my list. From what I've heard, it lacks in battery life. And considering the price, looks like an overkill to me. Plus I don't really like touchscreen. Does it make up in other important fields compared to BB phones I have listed?
    I just figured that if you wanted to get a Blackberry, why not just get the best one out right now? You might as well have an updated device you can use as a phone and task planning. My life is in my Calendar, Memopad, and Email. That's what Iove about Blackberry .

Battery life on the 9900 varies, depending on what youre doing. I get emails/tweet/bbm with my wifi and bluetooth on, and I get abt 15hrs of battery life. 15hrs isn't bad at all, but older models will probably give you a day or two.

The touchscreen is very helpful. I cant imagine using a Blackberry without one now. It makes scrolling down web pages, lists, going thru pics and music so much easier. Using apps is much easier with the touchscreen too. The combination of touch, type and trackpad just works very well.

The camera is okay. Its not the best, but its adequate for photos. You really notice the lack of autofocus when trying to take pics of text. With anything else, the camera is fine.

Also, the 9900 is beautiful! Its really thin and looks so classy.

With BB10 just around the corner you might find some good deals on the 9900, but if you want an older device, the 9000 seems to be a solid choice.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shemaree09 View Post
    Are you using the Blackberry just as a diary? Why not just get a Bold 9900 or wait for a BB10 device?
    He said:
    Nice to have's:

I don't care about phone size, looks, hardware specs (as long as system and ToDoMatrix run well), screen size, touch screen, webbrowser, media playback etc
    The Bold 9900 for sure still ain't a low-price device, and I doubt even after BB10 launch the price will drop into current Curve regions.

Regarding the question: I haven't used the almost legendary Bold 9000 (unfortunatly) nor the Bold 9700, so I can't really comment on those. However the Curve 9320 will be the snappiest of them all, thanks to the new OS7.1 system (still getting quite some updates too!), the 800 MHz CPU and those 512 MB of RAM. It should also suite your needs for low weight, low price, stability (again, thanks to OS7.1) and especially battery life. This Curve has a very good 1450 mAH battery. The real downsides are: Crappy screen resolution, with just 320x240 QVGA the display is rather blocky and not really detailed - especially when compared to more modern devices. It is an entry-level Curve, so you miss out those awesome Bold keyboards as well as their good build quality. Last but not least you'll miss the AF camera.

The 9780 has already reached the end of the line in terms of updates, it also just packs OS6, the it will be slower compared to the 9320. However you'll have a higher resolution screen (480x360) for sharper graphics. In terms of keyboard and build quality it should be (far) superior to the Curve, the same goes with the camera - since it has a 5MP AF cam.

After all it boils down to your needs, which you might have to explain a bit more detailed. So far I'd say:
    If build quality, keyboard, screen sharpness is more important to you than a still up-to-date OS, better system speed and stability, go for the 9780. Otherwise take a look at the Curve. If you can somehow manage to find a shop which has the 9320 on display, I highly recommend checking the screen out first before you decide finally.

Edit:
    Yes, the 9900 doesn't really excel in terms of battery performance. It is however better than most people claim it to be. The 9900 somehow is a modern day smartphone: Battery life simply isn't its strength, while most previous BB devices simply were known for their great battery performance.
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Choosing BB for GTD (replace Casio Digital Diary)

Greetings, I humbly ask BB users to help me choose the right device. I went throught specs and reviews, but it's best to ask people who had more devices so they can compare based on their own experience.

What I currently choose from is: Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Bold 9780, Curve 9320

Why am I getting BB phone? I want to get as close as possible to the personal digital diary by Casio. From what I've read, ToDoMatrix app should solve my problems on mobile phones. As it is BB only app, it's time for me to get one.

Primary atributes and needs(in order of importance):
    keyboard, overall snappiness, stability, battery life
    (if you think I miss something here, feel free to tell me)

Nice to have's:

Out of the phones you've listed the Bold 9780 is the best.

The Curve 9320 would be my second choice.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by shemaree09 View Post
    Unfortunately ToDoMatrix will not be available on BB10. However, the new Reminders app on BB10 may be a viable alternative.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    762 Global Posts

Yeah, OS 10 Reminders is linked with Evernote and there are people that use EN for GTD

I would love to hear from someone doing this on a Z10

(Integration with my Apple laptop would be key)

I am keen to jump ship from iphone but will need a system to replace Ominfocus which I use for GTD presently

I have always liked the idea of the "paperless office" potential of Evernote (scanning everything to EN then tossing it in the trash) but couldn't summon the energy to run Omnifocus AND Evernote as some folks do...

All in one is the goal.

BB - Reminder - Evernote
    Synced to
    Apple laptop - Evernote
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 02-09-2013 at 09:10 AM.
    BB 8300, Bold, Curve 8900, iPhone 4S - now back to the dark side! - Q10
    CrackBerry Addict

I still do GTD on paper, I would love to do it digitally but I haven't been able to do so effectively yet. I'm looking at Conqu right now but ever note might work, anyone using it for GTD effectively?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    762 Global Posts

BB 8300, Bold, Curve 8900, iPhone 4S - now back to the dark side! - Q10