That's not what people mean when they say fragmented. They are talking about Android OS versions and how most devices are not on the latest version of Android. Majority are on jellybean at this point I believe.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Yeah but won't this make even more? Now there will be all the regular Android versions plus the BlackBerry version.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 08:13 PM
    Assuming Android does actually come to BB, as long as it's running a relatively recent release and is Google Certified, then it doesn't matter if it has the BB skin - what matters is the version of Android and the ability to run recent apps and services.
    07-27-15 11:09 PM
    But still. You can see how hard other manufacturers are working on updating their devices and still have their own skins. If BB would choose to produce something that really imitates OS10 it would be some really hard work to do so. They would have to a hard time updating their phones due to the lack of control over future changes. Google would be the one who sets the course.

Otherwise we would only get a pure Android phone with little BB eye candy. And this is something no one really needs... (except for the die hard pkb users). And unlike OS10 - their very own OS - they can't promise that future updates perform well on a 2-3 year old device.

So you see a thread about what would change with Android on BBs is in fact a thread about what we sacrifice for Google Play Services. It depends on the personal needs if this is a good trade. But seriously ask myself why someone would use a BB in the first place if he/she is willing to sacrifice the BB-feeling for Google Play services.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    07-28-15 02:41 AM
    But still. You can see how hard other manufacturers are working on updating their devices and still have their own skins. If BB would choose to produce something that really imitates OS10 it would be some really hard work to do so. They would have to a hard time updating their phones due to the lack of control over future changes. Google would be the one who sets the course.

Otherwise we would only get a pure Android phone with little BB eye candy. And this is something no one really needs... (except for the die hard pkb users). And unlike OS10 - their very own OS - they can't promise that future updates perform well on a 2-3 year old device.

[/B]
    Android has actually been pretty good on older devices. The Nexus 4, released in Nov 2012 with Jellybean 4.2 is still getting updates. It won't get Android M. That 3 solid years. The Nexus 5, released one year later will get M. So another 3 years. Other phones is up to those manufacturers.

It would be up to BB to decide how long a device will be supported. And that starts with high specs. The key is how reactive they would be to the versions. Users who like to stay current gravitate towards the Nexus line because it takes other OEM too long to release new versions. If BB could somehow achieve a great skin and faster updates to new versions thn the competition, they'd have a good chance of making it.
    07-28-15 08:00 AM
    Fair point, although between the runtime and the work that's presumably being done on the BlackBerry Experience Suite, the staff they have left may be predominantly Android people.
    That's possible. Going android might reduce the workload too ... which seems to be an issue, because, other than the Passport, they haven't ported BB10 to any new hardware in 2.5 years. Other than the Passport, every device has a dual core snapdragon and 720p. That's not because they love those specs. It's because they don't have the workforce to do anything else.

If you go android, I suspect manufacturers will provide all the device drivers..... but I could be wrong.
    07-28-15 08:57 AM
    I think deep down it doesn't matter what platform is used as long as it's efficient, and secure.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 09:35 AM
    I think deep down it doesn't matter what platform is used as long as it's efficient, and secure.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, that's exactly the opposite of what these past few years has taught us... lol

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    07-28-15 09:46 AM
    Android has actually been pretty good on older devices. The Nexus 4, released in Nov 2012 with Jellybean 4.2 is still getting updates. It won't get Android M. That 3 solid years. The Nexus 5, released one year later will get M. So another 3 years. Other phones is up to those manufacturers.

It would be up to BB to decide how long a device will be supported. And that starts with high specs. The key is how reactive they would be to the versions. Users who like to stay current gravitate towards the Nexus line because it takes other OEM too long to release new versions. If BB could somehow achieve a great skin and faster updates to new versions thn the competition, they'd have a good chance of making it.
    As your examples point out, I believe that kind of support only applies to the Nexus phones. Specific OEM Android models are more hit or miss about even getting an update. Nexus phones also aren't dirt cheap anymore. So not a bad direction BBRY could take to positively differentiate itself and potentially make a profit.

I do agree with a poster (in this thread or another) that stated that first impressions will count. I so agree!
    07-28-15 10:19 AM
    I use a Nexus 7, also from 2012. It still gets updates, but the Tablet became slow like hellt. The same is true for a mid range smartphone from Huawei.

The Nexus 7 was damn fast when I first got it and now... I'm really just using core apps on stock android 5.1 but it's no fun anymore. My wife's bold 9900 has a better user experience that the nexus. And if we compare the hardware its just a big joke, how slow the Nexus is....

And non Nexus brands mostly don't deliver updates at all, if it's not a flagship device. Got an oldschool Huawei phone. One update from Gingerbread to ICS. Since then it's mostly damn slow. New updates? None..

So most of the time i'd like to throw these devices out of the window. While BB phones of comparable age are still more than useful.

And now think about businesses that used to rely on BB. They had these old OS7 phones for years! Friend of mine, working at Mercedes still caries an oooold BB. And it works....! Ever seen a businessman carrying and old Android phone?
    07-28-15 11:18 AM
    I use a Nexus 7, also from 2012. It still gets updates, but the Tablet became slow like hellt.
    This is true (I have one too), but if you remember, the Nexus 7 was an entry-level-priced tablet that, at the time, had better-than-entry-level (but not close to flagship) build quality and performance. Expecting it to handle 3-years-newer updates well is a very unrealistic expectation - Android has come a LONG way since 2012, but, yeah, it needs more horsepower than barely-midgrade-three-years-ago hardware can deliver. That's no surprise.

The Z10's performance isn't exactly spectacular with current versions of BB10, but BB10 has also come a long way since it's 2013 release, so, again, that's to be expected. For that matter, iPhone 4S's weren't exactly blazing fast running iOS7, much less iOS8. Smartphones are still in a high-level-of-growth phase, much like PCs in the 90's and early 2000's, where hardware is virtually obsolete in just a couple of years. But much as it did with PCs, mobile device performance increases will start to level out (it will continue to grow, just at a much slower pace) and the software will mature to the point where you'll be able to get 5+ years out of a flagship-level (when new) device. We aren't there yet, though, so we still need our mobile devices to have fairly new, relatively high-end hardware if we want the device to be usable after more than about 2 years.
    ubizmo likes this.
    07-28-15 02:05 PM
    As your examples point out, I believe that kind of support only applies to the Nexus phones. Specific OEM Android models are more hit or miss about even getting an update. Nexus phones also aren't dirt cheap anymore. So not a bad direction BBRY could take to positively differentiate itself and potentially make a profit.

I do agree with a poster (in this thread or another) that stated that first impressions will count. I so agree!
    Exactly. BB could differentiate themselves by delivering Android updates longer and quicker than other OEMs.
    07-28-15 03:25 PM
    Some interesting thoughts in this thread. Thanks to all contributors.

For me, the key question is whether Chendroid will be stock Android with a thin layer of BlackBerry stuff, or a full redesign of the Android UI. I guess I'd hope for the latter but some persuasive reasons to expect the former have been given.
    07-28-15 06:28 PM

So you see a thread about what would change with Android on BBs is in fact a thread about what we sacrifice for Google Play Services. It depends on the personal needs if this is a good trade. But seriously ask myself why someone would use a BB in the first place if he/she is willing to sacrifice the BB-feeling for Google Play services.
    Which is the reason BlackBerry has under 0.3% marketshare.
    Basically nobody is willing to forego an ecosystem for whatever BlackBerry has to offer currently.
    07-28-15 10:26 PM
    I agree with you! And we didn't buy BlackBerry phones to enjoy third class chendroid apps on it!! Which don't have hub integration, no notification bla bla

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 05:40 AM
    Expecting it to handle 3-years-newer updates well is a very unrealistic expectation - Android has come a LONG way since 2012, but, yeah, it needs more horsepower than barely-midgrade-three-years-ago hardware can deliver. That's no surprise.

The Z10's performance isn't exactly spectacular with current versions of BB10, but BB10 has also come a long way since it's 2013 release, so, again, that's to be expected.
    You are right about that. But OS10 always responds to input. Very unlike the Nexus. Where it takes like forever to go back to homescreen, etc. This is where OS10 and still OS7 just passes by Android. Basic things don't work no more fast enough on Android devices. And BB won't be able to do anything about this.

You are right about it, when you say that mobile performance gets a lot better every year. But how come an old 9900 still is fast as hell, when i compare it to an Android device of same age? I know OS7 didn't develop like Android did, no question about that, but at least is it at least as useful as on day 1. The eye-candied Android phone doesn't even allow me to go back to homescreen without time for a cup of coffee....
    07-29-15 10:26 AM
    If you load KitKat (Android 4.4) back on your 2012 Nexus 7, you'll be just fine, and your device will continue to be useful for a couple more years. The reason the Bold still works is because it really never moved on past its launch OS version (just a few minor bug-fix releases). You can't compare the two at all - the N7 has seen 6 major OS updates.
    07-29-15 10:37 AM
    2012 nexus 7 was shipped with really cheap ram that degrades over time it's a known issue on those devices. I have 2013 and it's fast with every update from kitkat->lollipop.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 10:50 AM
    If you load KitKat (Android 4.4) back on your 2012 Nexus 7, you'll be just fine, and your device will continue to be useful for a couple more years. The reason the Bold still works is because it really never moved on past its launch OS version (just a few minor bug-fix releases). You can't compare the two at all - the N7 has seen 6 major OS updates.
    I did jump back from 5.0 to 4.4 and it didn't change much. There were many OS updates, but I never got why the OS has to become slower and slower just because of and update. Shouldn't updates in fact do something positive, besides patching security holes? Maybe it's just me, but there where no real improvements beyond 4.3 I guess.

But the cheap RAM seems to be a logically reason for that...
    07-29-15 01:01 PM
    Updates to much more than patch security holes. They add functionality, they add features. That can require more resources.
    07-29-15 02:11 PM
    I agree. I'm using BlackBerry because I wanted away from android. IF bb10 goes away I'd consider a BlackBerry Droid as long as it has the hub and the way the apps minimize but stay open on BlackBerry. Also, when I close an app the daggum thing is CLOSED not running in the background. I'm not one that needs the Google play crap. I hate Google which is why I went BlackBerry in the first place. I do just fine for going on 2 years now without Google play.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 02:55 PM
    For this hypothetical Android-based BB, given the news today about that particularly nasty Android vulnerability - what can BBRY do to avoid such potential pitfalls or will they always be vulnerable to the same things base Android is? Will they be in a situation where they can do auto updates such as Google does for its Nexus phones? Would BBRY's current enterprise security features be adaptable and effective in the new environment?
    07-29-15 03:53 PM
    The best defense against hacking is probably the ability to update your OS to the latest Android release ASAP. The current vulnerability was patched by Google in March but it hasn't propagated to most Android devices via carriers or manufacturers.
    07-29-15 03:57 PM
72 123