The purpose of this thread isn't to ponder whether BlackBerry will or should release an Android phone. Let's just assume they're doing it. My question is: How much BB10 functionality might we expect, and would it be enough to get some traction?

The Hub is a given, I suppose, but what else? For example, in BB10 I can assign individual alert tones to contacts, not just for SMS, email, and BBM, but for other messaging apps too. Android doesn't have this and, as far as I can tell, there isn't even an app that does it. Could the Chendroid bring that to the table? Would anyone care? What else would you hope to see survive the trip from BB10 to Chendroid?
    Active pass likes this.
    07-26-15 10:25 AM
    I think the trade off will be how much BlackBerry can be added to the mix without making android laggy which is a common problem with manufacturer skins. Often the most well received skins are lightweight and close to stock android

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 10:41 AM
    I think the trade off will be how much BlackBerry can be added to the mix without making android laggy which is a common problem with manufacturer skins. Often the most well received skins are lightweight and close to stock android

Posted via CB10
    That's true, but some of that is due to fancy transitions and other graphic eye candy.

Also I'm assuming that a proper Chendroid, as opposed to the BlackBerry Experience Suite, would be realized as a ROM optimized for the hardware, rather than an overlay. That ought to help somewhat with performance issues.

But the more I think about this, the more I think the Chendroid will need to bring a lot of BB10 functionality along, and not just a veneer. The point has been made repeatedly that BlackBerry would drown in a sea of Android OEMs, and I think the only solution is an Android that looks and feels very different, not just a variation on a theme.

I don't know if it can be done, but I think that's the way forward, if there is one.
    07-26-15 11:04 AM
    I would like to see some of the apps like BB Travel ported over
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    07-26-15 11:11 AM
    It's probably going to be a lot less than you imagine. He's cutting hardware resources left and right and there is some pretty significant time pressure. It's one thing for Facebook or Amazon to embark on an Android customization project but BlackBerry isn't even technically in this game. The priority is probably to be able to tout some security features and to make apps that can be used on all Android phones with BES12. You can't justify a lot of custom Android work to use in way less than million phones. The customers he wants aren't looking for something that looks like BB10. They are looking for preinstalled security features and a hardware keyboard.
    FF22 and sentimentGX4 like this.
    07-26-15 11:14 AM
    If they go Android I will leave. Look at how long it took them to get BB10 to where it is today. Does anyone here truly believe that the first version of BlackBerry Android isn't going to be a buggy, dysfunctional mess? Why go with a company with horrible specs and no Android experience when you can go with an established player with better hardware? Yes the PKB people will buy one, and BlackBerry will sell no more devices than they do now, maybe less as some will just be sick of dealing with a company that has been in "transition" since 2010 and now just appears to be throwing stuff at the wall and going with the stuff that falls on the floor while the stuff that sticks they abandon. I just want BlackBerry to lay out the near term plans so I can make an informed decision in what I want my next phone to be. too much longer I'll take the silence for what I think it is, not saying the Chen plan is in chaos, and move on. Other vendors are fighting and competing in the market to earn my purchase, not sitting back and trying to figure out how to get as much money as they can can before they abandon the product line.

Posted via Z30
    07-26-15 12:28 PM
    If they go Android I will leave. Look at how long it took them to get BB10 to where it is today. Does anyone here truly believe that the first version of BlackBerry Android isn't going to be a buggy, dysfunctional mess?
    If they don't go Android you'll probably be leaving anyway, along with the rest of us when BB10 hardware hits bottom. I think it's possible that the first version of Chendroid was built under wraps a couple of years ago.

But again, the purpose of this thread wasn't to rehash whether they should do it, but to discuss what it would have to look like to have a shot at gaining traction. I agree that a buggy dysfunctional mess won't cut it!
    07-26-15 01:59 PM
    Does Android have the adaptive 'Share' framework, that detects recent recipients for each app and prioritizes their positioning within the share menu based on frequency/'recent-ness'?

That's something I take for granted now, but would certainly miss.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 02:15 PM
    If no one knows about the phone it doesn't matter. They need to try and advertise, if not, no point.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    FF22 likes this.
    07-26-15 02:16 PM
    If no one knows about the phone it doesn't matter. They need to try and advertise, if not, no point.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    Agreed, but the question here is what the product could look like to be worth advertising.

Should we, for example, expect something like active frames to replace Android's Recent Apps cards? Or would that be seen by Andoid users as a step backwards?
    07-26-15 03:24 PM
    I will buy the android based device, if and when it becomes available. I would suspect they are testing the prototype devices with great care to make sure they function properly.

As far as hardware cost, there are plenty of device manufacturers that can produce a quality made device and keep the price within reason so it will attract rather then detour potential customers.

I see a lot of folks saying they will leave if Blackberry goes to an Android based system, but I for one would welcome the chance if it meant the brand could restore some of its market share and brand image here in the USA.

Now the issue becomes when and if this device will become available? I am hoping it will be sooner then later and not drag their feet like they have done on other products in the past.
    07-26-15 03:40 PM
    Does Android have the adaptive 'Share' framework, that detects recent recipients for each app and prioritizes their positioning within the share menu based on frequency/'recent-ness'?

Posted via CB10
    That's a good example of the kind of BB10 touch I'm talking about. I don't know the answer; maybe someone else does.

Here's another: BB10 has in Settings the option to prevent apps from running when "minimized", i.e., closed. Android has an app, Greenify, that does essentially that, but to work automatically it needs root. Would BlackBerry bake this ability into Chendroid, or perhaps partner with Greenify to have it pre-installed?

I'm assuming that Chendroid won't be rootable.
    07-26-15 04:01 PM
    Would not think that developing a full blown Android for BB would be that big an issue... considering the amount of work that went into the Android player on BB10... ground work is already laid so to speak.. look how fast they have updated to player to the point it is usable at least on my Z30.... What users need to ask themselves is why to they stay with a Brand... is it because it is "better" ( subjective ) than the competition or because it what they are use to and tied to the Brand through some sense of misguided loyalty... in the end all devices perform the same functions... albiet to varying degrees.... if BB can make an Android that does what a BB10 does why would I care what the OS is...
    07-26-15 04:06 PM
    What users need to ask themselves is why to they stay with a Brand... is it because it is "better" ( subjective ) than the competition or because it what they are use to and tied to the Brand through some sense of misguided loyalty... in the end all devices perform the same functions... albiet to varying degrees.... if BB can make an Android that does what a BB10 does why would I care what the OS is...
    I agree, but I'm thinking about Android users who haven't used BB10 too. Existing flavors of Android are all pretty similar to vanilla Android, with a few bells and whistles added. Chendroid would be very different. I'm thinking it might attract the following that BB10 itself never got, but I'm interested in other opinions on that.
    07-26-15 05:06 PM
    I'm sorry everyone, but today's world relies on people wanting to be "told" what they want and need instead of being presented options so that they can make their best informed decision. This is the truth. I see a few people saying android users might consider a move to an android blackberry, with all due respect this is an unbelievable reach of a statement. The boat was missed 4 years ago, it's just too late.

Here's what chendroid will do imo, there will be no significant increase in sales from quarter to quarter and it will be a good enough product to keep the hardware bizz going for a couple more years, finally dwindling down to a company very much centralized towards software, something Chen has been saying all along,

Posted via CB10
    ALToronto likes this.
    07-26-15 05:51 PM
    I am really concerned about BlackBerry's version of android. If it's a laggy pos that will be the final nail in the coffin. Likewise if it's kitkat based when android M is right around the corner it could be a disaster.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and ubizmo like this.
    07-26-15 05:58 PM
    I am really concerned about BlackBerry's version of android. If it's a laggy pos that will be the final nail in the coffin. Likewise if it's kitkat based when android M is right around the corner it could be a disaster.

Posted via CB10
    Definitely, a day late and a dollar short won't work for them. It never has.
    07-26-15 06:32 PM
    I don't think 'Hub' is a given at all. They have no control over other apps (twitter, fb, emails etc) posting to a 'hub' app on Android.

Hub implementation would require cooperation of other Android apps.

In BlackBerry, BlackBerry itself develops email, text/sms, fb, twitter apps. And BlackBerry 10 api provides hub integration to BlackBerry 10 app developers.

So, I don't think Hub (as it works on BlackBerry 10) is a given unless other app developers play ball.

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo likes this.
    07-26-15 06:42 PM
    I don't think 'Hub' is a given at all. They have no control over other apps (twitter, fb, emails etc) posting to a 'hub' app on Android.

Hub implementation would require cooperation of other Android apps.

In BlackBerry, BlackBerry itself develops email, text/sms, fb, twitter apps. And BlackBerry 10 api provides hub integration to BlackBerry 10 app developers.

So, I don't think Hub (as it works on BlackBerry 10) is a given unless other app developers play ball.

Posted via CB10
    Twitter and LinkedIn make their own apps for blackberry 10 and are able to provide hub integration. But you're right, the hub isn't a guarantee at all.

I'm not a developer but let's say Google gives the go ahead for the hub, that would mean texts, calls, and email is taken care of but things like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, whatsapp, etc... Don't these apps need customizing to make it work? And if that's true, the million dollar question comes up again, why would these companies invest time to "alter" their apps for a blackberry skinned android just to make the hub part work?
    ubizmo likes this.
    07-26-15 06:51 PM
    For it to be successful it will need to include Google Apps and a experience close to pure vanilla Android with the BlackBerry features added on top.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-26-15 06:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    I've been using an lg g3 lately and I really miss this feature.
    07-26-15 07:32 PM
    Twitter and LinkedIn make their own apps for blackberry 10 and are able to provide hub integration. But you're right, the hub isn't a guarantee at all.

I'm not a developer but let's say Google gives the go ahead for the hub, that would mean texts, calls, and email is taken care of but things like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, whatsapp, etc... Don't these apps need customizing to make it work? And if that's true, the million dollar question comes up again, why would these companies invest time to "alter" their apps for a blackberry skinned android just to make the hub part work?
    That makes sense, and it's enough to make me doubt the viability of the whole undertaking. Given what you've said, the best that could be expected is a limited Hub for email, SMS, and BBM, perhaps combined with notifications for the other things. It would be a kludgy solution though.
    Mark Mutz and Allanon89 like this.
    07-26-15 07:33 PM
    That makes sense, and it's enough to make me doubt the viability of the whole undertaking. Given what you've said, the best that could be expected is a limited Hub for email, SMS, and BBM, perhaps combined with notifications for the other things. It would be a kludgy solution though.
    Would it not be possible for BlackBerry to leverage whatever API hooks they currently use for FB, Twitter, LinkedIn in BB10 hub.. in which you seemingly just... 'add' those types of accounts? I mean, I know they couldn't get EVERY app, but... if they can get a good staple set of most frequently used communication apps, then it would still be worth it.
    07-26-15 07:58 PM
    Chendroid... (tm)

Funny this word now experiences wider adoption. :-)

�   "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."   �
    07-26-15 08:20 PM
    Chendroid...
    Funny this word now experiences wider adoption. :-)
    Because it's inCHENious!
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    07-26-15 08:44 PM
72 123