Chen in an interview on Fox Business: BlackBerry CEO Betting on Comeback with First Android | Fox Business

"I'm never going to give up the so-called "phone business". I love this device and we have a range of products after this. You know, it's actually quite exciting!"

"If this phone, and we have every reason to believe that this phone will be successful (...), then we will be able to rebuild our phone business (...), it will be a lot higher than 1 (% market share)."
    11-07-15 03:46 AM
    I have to admit I like the BlackBerry Priv. Bought it on Friday and the experience has been very good. Still exploring its features.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    11-07-15 04:27 AM
    I heard a rumors they will make a classic powered by android for low end market
    11-07-15 04:45 AM
    You mean toolbelt and all... !!!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 04:52 AM
    Smartwatch?

Posted via CB10
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    11-07-15 04:55 AM
    This is why I am rooting for the Priv. If it is successful maybe we can all get what we want from BlackBerry. Android and BB10 phones!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 04:58 AM
    Smartwatch?

Posted via CB10
    Nope.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 06:06 AM
    Wow a pretty damn good interview. Chen is getting better at being enthusiastic about the hand set business. I'm sure the marketing guys have drilled it into his head to stay away from the gloom and doom comments.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, lactose and pat-wallace like this.
    11-07-15 06:19 AM
    Chen in an interview on Fox Business: BlackBerry CEO Betting on Comeback with First Android | Fox Business

"I'm never going to give up the so-called "phone business". I love this device and we have a range of products after this. You know, it's actually quite exciting!"

"If this phone, and we have every reason to believe that this phone will be successful (...), then we will be able to rebuild our phone business (...), it will be a lot higher than 1 (% market share)."
    Surely no surprise that BB's CEO should "big up" the Priv and BB's commitment to phones as they launch what is widely seen as their last-chance phone?, but it's good to hear that Chen is starting to understand that his words do matter, and will be quoted, and that him publicly pondering (as he has previously) on the future of BB's hardware is "unwise".
    TGR1, TgeekB, Blacklatino and 4 others like this.
    11-07-15 06:20 AM
    They won't enter the low end android market. There's no room to compete there.

Posted via CB10
    Benjamin Black likes this.
    11-07-15 08:09 AM
    Now that's what I'm talking about John Chen...keep me excited about using BlackBerry10. Even if you make mostly android please release at least one more BlackBerry10 device Ex: Classic 2 with removable battery Passport specs or a Q20 with removable battery Passport specs/trackpad keyboard.

The most critical aspect is MARKETING!!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 08:30 AM
    Now that's what I'm talking about John Chen...keep me excited about using BlackBerry10. Even if you make mostly android please release at least one more BlackBerry10 device Ex: Classic 2 with removable battery Passport specs or a Q20 with removable battery Passport specs/trackpad keyboard.

The most critical aspect is MARKETING!!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    This!!

Posted via PP
    BerryRipe and BerrySoul like this.
    11-07-15 08:32 AM
    Smartwatch?

Posted via CB10
    I think we need to focus on the phones first. The market is actually not as big for smartwatches. We saw that with apple.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 08:35 AM
    That also better include future BB10 phones such as a BB10 powered PRIV and or a Z50 high end BB10.

Rocking a Z30
    11-07-15 08:38 AM
    That also better include future BB10 phones such as a BB10 powered PRIV and or a Z50 high end BB10.

Rocking a Z30
    It won't, but I guess that's no reason for you to stop hoping.

Chen has read the quote about doing the same thing again, and expecting a different outcome, being insane. So he won't ever release a new BB10 device.
    kbz1960 and DrBoomBotz like this.
    11-07-15 09:08 AM

Chen has read the quote about doing the same thing again, and expecting a different outcome, being insane. So he won't ever release a new BB10 device.
    These are always very definitive remarks from people based on "reading between the lines". What exactly is the "same thing"? Marketing, device specs,etc?? A year or so ago, no one believed there would be an Android powered BB. So unless anyone on this forum is on the BB Board, everyone's opinion is just that.
    BerryRipe and brian4591 like this.
    11-07-15 11:59 AM
    These are always very definitive remarks from people based on "reading between the lines". What exactly is the "same thing"? Marketing, device specs,etc?? A year or so ago, no one believed there would be an Android powered BB. So unless anyone on this forum is on the BB Board, everyone's opinion is just that.
    I did.

I even posted my opinion to that effect. I also posted that the first recipient of BB's Experience Suite would be BB's own Android phone. Guess I'm ahead of the curve?

And BB10 has cost BB zillions, and has almost collapsed the company. Yes, it's certainly my opinion that Chen won't go near a new BB10 device... he probably still has nightmares about how close BB10 came to finishing off BlackBerry. But, you carry-on hoping, and we'll see what happens.
    11-07-15 01:27 PM
    I did.

I even posted my opinion to that effect. I also posted that the first recipient of BB's Experience Suite would be BB's own Android phone. Guess I'm ahead of the curve?

And BB10 has cost BB zillions, and has almost collapsed the company. Yes, it's certainly my opinion that Chen won't go near a new BB10 device... he probably still has nightmares about how close BB10 came to finishing off BlackBerry. But, you carry-on hoping, and we'll see what happens.
    Good call on the BB Android phone.

However, I doubt you're right about the end of BB10 phones. I think they'll be forced to keep some version of BB10 up and functioning for a few years as their customers that require security will be unwilling to trust Android (even BB-Android). I expect that they'll release a slightly updated Classic - not with any super-current specs, but more with remaindered processors etc. that they can buy on the cheap.

I doubt there'll be any more real significant BB10 models - just updates to the Classic and maybe the Passport. I guess there's also a chance they'll release a Priv with BB10, but that's more unlikely and is probably going to depend on how many of the Priv's they sell.
    11-07-15 02:17 PM
    Good call on the BB Android phone.

However, I doubt you're right about the end of BB10 phones. I think they'll be forced to keep some version of BB10 up and functioning for a few years as their customers that require security will be unwilling to trust Android (even BB-Android). I expect that they'll release a slightly updated Classic - not with any super-current specs, but more with remaindered processors etc. that they can buy on the cheap.

I doubt there'll be any more real significant BB10 models - just updates to the Classic and maybe the Passport. I guess there's also a chance they'll release a Priv with BB10, but that's more unlikely and is probably going to depend on how many of the Priv's they sell.
    Actually, I agree with all of that.

Chen will continue to sell Classics/Passports for as long as people want to buy them... Though, given that BB10 sales continue to decline quarter after quarter; how many of those people remain is questionable. My point was that Chen isn't going to spend a penny on development of *new* BB10 devices.

If the Priv makes money for BB, he might try to milk it and release an Android Passport. What he won't do (IMO ), is spend a penny of those Android profits on BB10!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-07-15 03:07 PM
    I did.

I'm not saying you're wrong about BB10 or right. I don't know. I'm not hoping, but I haven't heard anything conclusive either way about the future of BB10. The only thing we all can do is wait and see.
    11-07-15 05:41 PM
    They won't enter the low end android market. There's no room to compete there.

Posted via CB10
    They need to! It would give them a wider user base with an upgrade path.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 06:00 PM
    They need to! It would give them a wider user base with an upgrade path.

Posted via CB10
    The only success BlackBerry ever had with the lower end segment is the brief time the name BlackBerry had enough cachet to convince someone to buy a dinky Curve because it was the cool thing to do.

Releasing a Leap rehash for too high a price (which you know will happen) in a market already saturated with death camp labor phones made by the Chinese for the cost of a cup of coffee is merely burning cash with extra effort.
    JeepBB, anon(9188202) and TgeekB like this.
    11-07-15 06:06 PM
    "A range of products" will hopefully include a PlayBook 2.

That's the only form factor I am really missing.
    11-07-15 07:01 PM

That's why he needs to shake things up by MARKETING!

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-07-15 07:04 PM
    All I want is BlackBerry to continue having the BlackBerry form of pkb devices a la classic, Q10 and passport; whether through android or bb10

Posted via CB10
    Quorist likes this.
    11-07-15 07:47 PM
107 123 ...