With the BlackBerry CEO talking about how the company may exit the hardware business as early as next year, I fear Chen is shooting himself in the foot at a chance of being profitable.

The Priv isn't even released yet, and you're telling the public this?

Hell, if I was a user coming to BlackBerry because of the Priv, this may turn me away completely.

Why get the Priv if I have to worry about how long you will support the device for? Sure it'll get updates, but knowing it may be the last BlackBerry phone?

What would be the point in getting it anyway?

Typed on my posh black Classic.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    10-10-15 12:03 AM
    Whether John is shooting himself in the foot is relative to what he's aiming to do from the start.
    I.E. What he was hired to do and what his end game truly is?
    I can't recall a time where he's said he was here to save the Devices side of BlackBerry. But he has said he was here to increase the profit margins of the company. And that he sees value in the Security Software division .

Given that Rationale; he's gone about the business of diverting resources to that end, and divesting resources for device production to offset an investment into software.
    The Priv is a vehicle showcasing BlackBerry's ability to bridge the gap into other Operating System platforms using BlackBerry Security Software. But perhaps it's not there to say BlackBerry wishes to remain in the devices side of the industry.

And the success of the Priv (or any Model), as purely superior BlackBerry hardware would raise doubt if the divestiture of Device Manufacturing was done too soon( possibly why it wasn't solely a BlackBerry hardware design venture).
    You would want it to sell, but not overshadow the fact that the "software" is "the star here" and can be adopted by any device on the market.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by KNEBB; 10-10-15 at 02:53 AM.
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-10-15 02:34 AM
    Saying all that,
    I love the BlackBerry10 OS and I'd jump at the chance to buy more BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    10-10-15 02:50 AM
    You are right friend today has My Q10 got bad and I am going to order Blackberry Z 30 EBay in India I don't want to wait for Blackberry Priv as I don't like Android I like only BB 10 and
    Chen ruined BlackBerry10 . Chen choose wrong way

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    acovey likes this.
    10-10-15 03:07 AM
    What is wrong with Chen!? Why would HE put doubt into people's minds about the companies hardware future!?!? No ONE was talking about it anymore untill he brought it up again. What is wrong with him!? He needs to stop reading the blogs

Posted via CB10
    BuryLancs likes this.
    10-10-15 03:27 AM
    The purpose of Chen is similar to the purpose of Stephen Elop at Nokia. His outbursts is intended to signal that Blackberry cannot make mobile phones anymore. Also, it should demoralize the workers internally as well as scaring away people from Blackberry products.

He's saying exactly the same as Stephen Elop, don't buy our products.
    BuryLancs, Doggerz and acovey like this.
    10-10-15 04:59 AM
    But Nokia moved to Windows and it was wrong deal because first Windows Use Nokia when their phone become Hitt little bit then they pushed Nokia In hell
    on the other hand Blackberry choose Android And the future can be different from Nokia

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-10-15 05:42 AM
    Chen basically gave up on BlackBerry 10 long ago and he had no intention of marketing BlackBerry 10. He was the one killed BlackBerry consumer devices and now he complains that not enough devices were sold. He does not truly understand the BlackBerry brand and just killing every product line to make the balance sheet look good. What has he done since taking over besides layoffs and killing the consumer market? No new products except this sh*t Priv junk. We need a new fearless leader to bring BlackBerry back to its fame.

Posted via CB10
    nah.uhh, BuryLancs, acovey and 4 others like this.
    10-10-15 01:18 PM
    He has been saying similar things from the beginning. Leadership for any company starts from the top. The phone is not even out yet and this message is out there?

It is akin to BlackBerry stating: "Hey, we don't know yet if we are committed to making phones past the Priv. But, buy it, because if you do, we might make another one. Or maybe not? We don't know." Talk about killing momentum prematurely.

Plus, it has the added effect of turning chatter about BlackBerry's phone into a numbers game versus conversation about the phones attributes. Let's say the Priv receives positive early reviews but sales are not overwhelming. Is the headline going to be "Android+BlackBerry a compelling combination"? No, it will now probably be "Priv sales lukewarm? Is this the end of BlackBerry's hardware game?"

Chen is setting the tone for the Priv's launch, and it is sadly not really about the phone.

Posted via CB10
    BuryLancs likes this.
    10-10-15 01:44 PM
    I feel bad for the people who have been loyal BlackBerry employees and had to go through this Chen dictatorship of terror never knowing what day is their last day.

You have a better chance with Jeff Probst on Survivor than you do with Chen.

I salute everyone who's ever been Chenned.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    acovey, nah.uhh and extisis like this.
    10-10-15 02:50 PM
    I already thought Chen is missing his feet. Shot off already. Such a loser.

Posted via CB10
    acovey and nah.uhh like this.
    10-10-15 06:28 PM
    I'm still wondering where the BlackBerry premium full touch phone is?

The one with:
    State of the art display.
    A top of the line processor.
    Great camera.
    Great speakers.
    A Fingerprint reader.

All backed by a real marketing campaign targeting US customers.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.840
    10-10-15 08:40 PM
    I'm still wondering where the BlackBerry premium full touch phone is?

The one with:
    State of the art display.
    A top of the line processor.
    Great camera.
    Great speakers.
    A Fingerprint reader.

All backed by a real marketing campaign targeting US customers.
    I hate to say it, but it's in your dreams and no where else. Chen has already stated that low BB10 devices sales coupled with the high cost of having Qualcomm write QNX-specific drivers for all of the hardware and sensors makes future BB10 phones non-viable. No BB10 phone has ever turned a penny of profit (BB10 as a whole has cost BB about $8B in net losses by my estimation), and having to pay for new drivers would only increase the loss-per-phone-sold.

IF any future BB10 devices are ever made - and that's a very big if - they'll be made using hardware combos that already exist for BB10 phones - meaning the very best that could be hoped for would be Passport specs. Even then, the video drivers might not work for a 16:9 screen, and that might be enough to invalidate the project.

Chen has said, in so many words, that there is zero chance of a top-of-the-line processor in a BB10 phone, even if another BB10 phone is made - and that it itself seems pretty unlikely.
    10-10-15 08:56 PM
    I hate to say it, but it's in your dreams and no where else. Chen has already stated that low BB10 devices sales coupled with the high cost of having Qualcomm write QNX-specific drivers for all of the hardware and sensors makes future BB10 phones non-viable. No BB10 phone has ever turned a penny of profit (BB10 as a whole has cost BB about $8B in net losses by my estimation), and having to pay for new drivers would only increase the loss-per-phone-sold.

IF any future BB10 devices are ever made - and that's a very big if - they'll be made using hardware combos that already exist for BB10 phones - meaning the very best that could be hoped for would be Passport specs. Even then, the video drivers might not work for a 16:9 screen, and that might be enough to invalidate the project.

Chen has said, in so many words, that there is zero chance of a top-of-the-line processor in a BB10 phone, even if another BB10 phone is made - and that it itself seems pretty unlikely.
    I agree. It's a damn shame too. I talk to former BlackBerry users all the time and ask them why they jumped ship.

-Screen size and quality -16:9 became the standard as soon as iPhone 1 dropped.

-Camera speed and quality are expected on all high end smartphones these days.

-Quality speakers and music player.

Even if BlackBerry moves to the Android OS unless the hardware catches up it still won't be around long.

Dream on...

10-10-15 09:24 PM
    I agree. It's a damn shame too. I talk to former BlackBerry users all the time and ask them why they jumped ship.

-Screen size and quality -16:9 became the standard as soon as iPhone 1 dropped.

-Camera speed and quality are expected on all high end smartphones these days.

-Quality speakers and music player.

Even if BlackBerry moves to the Android OS unless the hardware catches up it still won't be around long.

Dream on...

With the exception of the Camera, but I am very pleased with the photos taken with it, that describes my Z30. Love that phone. Best I ever had.
    10-10-15 09:58 PM
    As an Android device, the Priv remains attractive, even if BlackBerry bails on hardware. New versions of Android will continue to roll out. As a consumer, those who are loyal to one OEM, like Samsung or HTC, probably wouldn't consider the Priv much in the first place. Those who jump from OEM to OEM every year or two, chasing the new cool features and what's hot, might consider the Priv, and would happily jump to something else anyway, if BlackBerry did give up hardware.
    10-11-15 03:20 PM
    My my some here are "estimating " figures , where are they pulling them from?

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 03:37 PM
    My my some here are "estimating " figures , where are they pulling them from?

Posted via CB10
    where the sun don't shine?
    acovey likes this.
    10-11-15 04:11 PM
    With the BlackBerry CEO talking about how the company may exit the hardware business as early as next year, I fear Chen is shooting himself in the foot at a chance of being profitable.
    It's just more of the same colossal stuff-ups we've come to expect from BB. Chen is a babbling buffoon and a master of spin.

Hell, if I was a user coming to BlackBerry because of the Priv, this may turn me away completely.
    The damage was already done long before BB10 was even released. BlackBerry today has a negative reputation and is no longer relevant in today's mobile computing landscape. They have burned away trust, shafted customers and its senior management are indoctrinated with a culture of incompetence and greed. BlackBerry is living in a bubble world and have failed to realize that the cut-throat landscape they are swimming in is infested with sharks that have been constantly tearing away at their core business.

Why get the Priv if I have to worry about how long you will support the device for? Sure it'll get updates, but knowing it may be the last BlackBerry phone?
    Many end-users are asking the same question. What value is their in a new Android-powered BlackBerry smartphone when the company is sending out mixed signals about its intentions ?

Some people like symbols. You know, the ones that buy BMW's just for the badge and ego stroking. Unfortunately, the BlackBerry logo is now synonymous with an old VW beetle.

All of this makes me sad. BlackBerry still makes some damn fine mobile products and its operating systems powered by QNX are technically superior to the inferior crud that exists in the mobile market. They had a chance at being a more significant player against the likes of iOS and Android but instead they squandered opportunities, procrastinated to the point of absurdity and allowed greedy sociopathic individuals to drive the company in a direction that was totally self-serving.
    acovey likes this.
    10-11-15 07:45 PM
    With the exception of the Camera, but I am very pleased with the photos taken with it, that describes my Z30. Love that phone. Best I ever had.
    I agree regarding the Z30. It's the best phone I've ever had even though I've had it for almost 2 years. I am interested in demoing the Priv as a potential replacement. If there are going to be no more new devices running BB10 it may be a compromise that is inevitable which may be what Chen is banking on.

My bitchin' BlackBerry Z30
    10-11-15 09:36 PM

Typed on my posh black Classic.
    If its the last Blackberry phone, I'd be happy to say I own it and I think id be happy with it. That said, I think it will do well enough for them to release 1 new phone every year. That would make more sense IMO. Stop with all the different variations and stick to one design and perfect it. I think the slider is the single best design to appease as many people as possible. You have the all touch with the keyboard hidden, you have the PKB for everyone that loves the keyboard best of both worlds.
    10-11-15 09:45 PM
    If its the last Blackberry phone, I'd be happy to say I own it and I think id be happy with it. That said, I think it will do well enough for them to release 1 new phone every year. That would make more sense IMO. Stop with all the different variations and stick to one design and perfect it. I think the slider is the single best design to appease as many people as possible. You have the all touch with the keyboard hidden, you have the PKB for everyone that loves the keyboard best of both worlds.
    wasn't there a poll here in CB that resulted only 44% would get the Perv for whatever reason? how is that going to translate in the land of glass keyboard warriors?
    10-11-15 09:50 PM
    wasn't there a poll here in CB that resulted only 44% would get the Perv for whatever reason? how is that going to translate in the land of glass keyboard warriors?
    They would need to get over it and just tape the slider shut. Seriously how can you complain about having both options? Its like having a beautiful Woman with both T*** and A**. Your complaint is invalid.
    10-11-15 09:56 PM
    They would need to get over it and just tape the slider shut. Seriously how can you complain about having both options? Its like having a beautiful Woman with both T*** and A**. Your complaint is invalid.
    i'm not complaining dude. i'm simply not buying it.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    10-11-15 10:16 PM
    i'm not complaining dude. i'm simply not buying it.
    What turns you off of it? or do you just not need a new phone?
    10-11-15 10:43 PM
31 12