You think iMessage draws people into buying iPhones? Is that a thing?

Posted via CB10
    You don't think people bought BB's at one point because of BBM? They did.
    JeepBB and southlander like this.
    01-31-15 08:03 AM
    This thread has really brought the haters out from the woodwork.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    01-31-15 09:12 AM
    Lol no day job ,,,or night job... since 2001... Hmmm i "retired" way too young, i think...

... on the other hand, i do have more time for my CB friends !!

post away... Lol
    Cool....

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 09:25 AM
    This thread has really brought the haters out from the woodwork.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    Realists

Sent from the device that works best for me using Tapatalk HD
    MikeX74 and techvisor like this.
    01-31-15 10:08 AM
    You think iMessage draws people into buying iPhones? Is that a thing?

Posted via CB10
    It's the whole iMessage experience that draws in people, hands down its twice the service BBM will ever be. Sadly Dave back in the day everyone use BBM ,but they have other options now and that's where BBRY lost out.

01-31-15 10:12 AM
    So to the question from OP, what has Chen really done here besides the classic ? ... He's chased away consumers ,he chased away developers ,the profits shown are because of all the layoffs and assets sold, very little are actually from device sales.
    Presently he made BBrY look desperate with his "everyone discriminates against BBRY" speech

techvisor likes this.
    01-31-15 10:15 AM
    It's the whole iMessage experience that draws in people, hands down its twice the service BBM will ever be. Sadly Dave back in the day everyone use BBM ,but they have other options now and that's where BBRY lost out.

And they aren't trying to monetize it like BlackBerry is with BBM. Apple is doing it as value ad. Pisses me off that I have to get invites from ads from BlackBerry and see updates for stickers (which I hate and don't use), since I use their phone. Throw me a bone for using a device on the weakest ecosystem and dealing with an inept company and their constant state of "transition".

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    01-31-15 10:22 AM
    Sorry it was BGR not The Verge.

http://bgr.com/2015/01/29/imessage-vs-android/

The article has an anecdote of one user. So I have no idea. Though it is logical to assume it leads some folks to iPhones.

But I do think it is hypocritical to expect iMessage to be opened up. If that is what was said. Was it?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    So you made a comment on this topic using a story based on one user??? From bgr or the verge neither of which are reliable news sites for anything non apple...shakes head.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 11:03 AM

Back in the day I never told my self man I really need bbm. Same with imessage. I don't really need it but if it were available it would certainly win in the crossplatform market.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 11:18 AM
    Of the two CEOs occupying 3rd and 4th place in the mobile market, Microsoft certainly has a better man at the helm. Unlike Chen who is basically looking for a government enforced bailout to make his company relevant, Satya Nadella is actually innovating to make his company relevant. They dropped that silly Scroogled campaign, put their products cross platform, created Cortana which rivals Google Now and is better than Siri, and held a very impressive Windows 10 event. Hololens is also getting a lot of public interest. Xbox sales have caught up to PS4. Those are accomplishments I can respect. Chen Jon Un basically wants the State to run BB. Nothing worthy of respect there. Call me crazy, but I have this silly notion about freedom of competition and innovation.
    Yeah, and Nadella also killed MSR Silicon Valley, one of the best industrial research labs in the country. If you can cherrypick, you can make anyone look better than anyone.

Chen made a faux pas, that's all. Phil Nickinson and others threw feces at him for his mistake, and that's ok too - as tech bloggers, that is one of their functions.

Q10/10.3.1.821
    01-31-15 01:46 PM
    Back in the day I never told my self man I really need bbm. Same with imessage. I don't really need it but if it were available it would certainly win in the crossplatform market.

Posted via CB10
    BBM was a key reason for me sticking with BlackBerry early on. I travel internationally for my job and BBM allowed me to stay in touch with my family members for free on travel. Their were no alternatives then. It was also a requirement for my kids phones so I could stay in touch with them. As soon as they announce cross platform BBM I bought them non BlackBerry devices but I make them load BBM them. I'll be going on a trip soon for work and will use BBM voice and Video with the wife (she has a Z30), and will use BBM chat with my boys to stay in touch with them.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 01:53 PM
    So to the question from OP, what has Chen really done here besides the classic ? ... He's chased away consumers ,he chased away developers ,the profits shown are because of all the layoffs and assets sold, very little are actually from device sales.
    Presently he made BBrY look desperate with his "everyone discriminates against BBRY" speech

You are exactly right!

Chen has blown it on every front. And in the end he has only extended the end game for a short while... miniscule profits from layoffs, sales of assets and stale inventory.

Only a couple more quarters and it will then become painfully obvious that enterprise software is not going to save the day either.

if he only hadn't abandoned hardware at the very point in time when they had a unique winner in the Passport and BlackBerry 10.3 and Blend.

But sadly he's chosen to ignore all that... no advertising whatsoever... and steal defeat from the jaws of victory.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 02:01 PM
    You are exactly right!

Chen has blown it on every front. And in the end he has only extended the end game for a short while... miniscule profits from layoffs, sales of assets and stale inventory.

Only a couple more quarters and it will then become painfully obvious that enterprise software is not going to save the day either.

if he only hadn't abandoned hardware at the very point in time when they had a unique winner in the Passport and BlackBerry 10.3 and Blend.

But sadly he's chosen to ignore all that... no advertising whatsoever... and steal defeat from the jaws of victory.
    What that option even available to him? To sell devices at scale you have to make them at scale. For even just 10 million devices, he would have had to commit a couple billion dollars to suppliers. That's a lot of cash that they can't really afford to lose.

To advertise those devices at any scale, that's at least several hundred million more.

Either that would have worked, or they would be selling the company in parts right now.

What Chen did instead was take a path that at least lets BB survive as a smaller software and services company for a longer period of time. Wouldn't you agree?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    01-31-15 02:56 PM
    Here's the catch though. Let's just say for arguments sake that Chen got the app neutrality he wants. Exactly how then does he think that's going to be implemented? Force all operating systems to use html 5 for apps? That would be freaking horrible compared to native app performance. What then? Tell all 3rd party developers now that they MUST learn how to code for iOS, Android, WP and BB10 because it's mandated by law? Or does he really have no idea at all?
    01-31-15 07:10 PM
    Since you can see the future and know Chen is taking a course to BlackBerry's demise, can I have the winning lottery numbers for tonight?
    Me too, while you're at it!! Lol

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 07:21 PM
    What that option even available to him? To sell devices at scale you have to make them at scale. For even just 10 million devices, he would have had to commit a couple billion dollars to suppliers. That's a lot of cash that they can't really afford to lose.

To advertise those devices at any scale, that's at least several hundred million more.

Either that would have worked, or they would be selling the company in parts right now.

What Chen did instead was take a path that at least lets BB survive as a smaller software and services company for a longer period of time. Wouldn't you agree?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    I understand your points.

I don't agree, though will admit my interests come from standing in the shoes of a BlackBerry user rather than investor.

And, as a user, I am quite passionate... as I don't wish for the Passport to be my last BlackBerry device. But I am more and more convinced that will be the case. Not because I wish it to be. But rather because I see the hand writing on the wall. Chen's decisions will not result in a future for BlackBerry hand sets.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 07:57 PM
    BBM was a key reason for me sticking with BlackBerry early on. I travel internationally for my job and BBM allowed me to stay in touch with my family members for free on travel. Their were no alternatives then. It was also a requirement for my kids phones so I could stay in touch with them. As soon as they announce cross platform BBM I bought them non BlackBerry devices but I make them load BBM them. I'll be going on a trip soon for work and will use BBM voice and Video with the wife (she has a Z30), and will use BBM chat with my boys to stay in touch with them.

Posted via CB10
    Just the R, to tell you that your message was read, has made BBM my choice for years. Now Glympse ( great for safety in storms) , timed messages, retractable messages etc have taken it to a whole new level. Combine it with a BlackBerry phone's flashing red LED, so your kids can never ignore your message, and you have the ultimate communication tool, ever, for business and family. There is 1/3 million mostly +ve reviews of BBM, on BlackBerry World, so we are not the only ones lovin' it!

TCB on Z10
    01-31-15 08:38 PM
    Quite the point really.....but hey, no harm in trying right?
    Not at all. If Chen were not trying, he would be out of a job.
    01-31-15 09:21 PM
    So you made a comment on this topic using a story based on one user??? From bgr or the verge neither of which are reliable news sites for anything non apple...shakes head.

Posted via CB10
    More like the article made me think of that angle more -- that iMessage is obviously an incentive that likely draws some in and also keeps them there. And that for anyone to think Apple would open it up with their sales going through the roof is just dreaming. Never really thought of iMessage that way. But it compares directly to BBM in its heyday.

As for The Verge and BGR... I certainly read some things there I don't like. But I don't think anyone here has some definitive proof or accurate study of their rate of accuracy that invalidates the points they make.
    01-31-15 10:34 PM
    Why?

Does your's need cleaning?
    Oh, I get it. Now you are trolling but think no one is smart enough around here to get it.
    02-01-15 05:26 AM
    Just the R, to tell you that your message was read, has made BBM my choice for years. Now Glympse ( great for safety in storms) , timed messages, retractable messages etc have taken it to a whole new level. Combine it with a BlackBerry phone's flashing red LED, so your kids can never ignore your message, and you have the ultimate communication tool, ever, for business and family. There is 1/3 million mostly +ve reviews of BBM, on BlackBerry World, so we are not the only ones lovin' it!

TCB on Z10
    While I like the improvements mentioned, I don't like them monetizing it with BlackBerry phone users. I shouldn't have to put up with ads and stuff if I buy their phones. It should be 100% value ad like iMessage is for Apple users. I'm fine with ads for Apple and Android users, but BlackBerry users should enjoy a completely ad free and harassment to buy stuff free experience.

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    02-01-15 09:34 AM
    While I like the improvements mentioned, I don't like them monetizing it with BlackBerry phone users. I shouldn't have to put up with ads and stuff if I buy their phones. It should be 100% value ad like iMessage is for Apple users. I'm fine with ads for Apple and Android users, but BlackBerry users should enjoy a completely ad free and harassment to buy stuff free experience.

Posted via CB10
    I have also thought this way, but I've changed my thinking a bit. BBM should be ad free for BIS subscribers. If BlackBerry were to offer BIS to BB10 users, and I paid for BIS, I would expect BBM to be ad free. But since I'm on BB10 on generic data, ad free BBM would be a bonus, but I can see BlackBerry needing to have ads. What I like is that I don't ever need to open BBM to use it (except for Channels which I don't really use). I can communicate ad free over BBM right from the Hub, and BlackBerry has already said that messaging conversations will never have ads.
    02-02-15 07:12 AM
    I have also thought this way, but I've changed my thinking a bit. BBM should be ad free for BIS subscribers. If BlackBerry were to offer BIS to BB10 users, and I paid for BIS, I would expect BBM to be ad free. But since I'm on BB10 on generic data, ad free BBM would be a bonus, but I can see BlackBerry needing to have ads. What I like is that I don't ever need to open BBM to use it (except for Channels which I don't really use). I can communicate ad free over BBM right from the Hub, and BlackBerry has already said that messaging conversations will never have ads.
    Apple users don't pay extra for basic iCloud storage or iMessage. Both require Apple to spend to support those offerings. Again why as a Bb10 phone user shouldn't I be given the service, ad free, as a feature and bonus for buying a BlackBerry device?

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 08:44 AM
    Apple users don't pay extra for basic iCloud storage or iMessage. Both require Apple to spend to support those offerings. Again why as a Bb10 phone user shouldn't I be given the service, ad free, as a feature and bonus for buying a BlackBerry device?

Posted via CB10
    We've chosen to purchase a niche product from a niche company. We have to expect to pay more for everything. BlackBerry has to recoup all of its development costs over a substantially smaller user base.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2072
    app_Developer and MikeX74 like this.
    02-02-15 08:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    Lol, you're too funny. Apple users pay through the nose for everything else. Apple is the biggest money grubbing company out there.
    02-02-15 09:24 AM
241 ... 678910