Surely you jest. When I politely expressed my opinion on the BlackBerry Forums site they threw me offfor 3 days... they only want BlackBerry fanboys & such drivel...
    Well then, just read through this thread and you will see that Blackberry critics are alive and uncensored. Freedom of opinion is welcome here.
    01-29-15 06:57 PM
    You smartie!! You figured out why I participate here almost exclusively...

Well then, just read through this thread and you will see that Blackberry critics are alive and uncensored. Freedom of opinion is welcome here.
    01-29-15 07:02 PM
    Google & watch "Apple's Broken Promises" and see how you feel firing up your shiny new IOS device - LOL
    Wow ... that is the very BEST you can come up with?!

What a JOKE!

Ok ... I suggest you or any OTHER "a-typical" BlackBerry fan to read my posts ... spend 60mins to READ over the last 6mths of my post on this site, on twitter (@Supa_Fly1) or my now old and defunct blog (seriousmobile.wordpress.com). I CHALLENGE YOU ... neh I DARE YOU.

NOTE: You're not challenging comments on BlackBerry against a typical Apple/iOS fanboy. The lot of you here over the past few years here are JOKERS and completely incompetent with a typical backhand response. I'd like to presume BB users and fans are SMARTER ... posting challenging comments not typical expectations of posts that an Android fan boy would on specs, or an Apple fan boy would in saying "it's better .. it just works". I work in I.T. for 14years.

I've worked with 2 cellphone providers from TDMA to GSM/GPRS/EDGE, I've supported BES4.1 to BB10 and now BES12 and BBOS4 to BB10 on multiple models on multiple corporations across Toronto!

A simple challenge where Blackberry fails ... and it's a VERY simple approach!

BlackBerry Setup/Walkthrough guide to get to know BB10.
    1. Power on your brand new out of the box or wiped BB10 device.
    2. Go through the walk through wizard ... because you're FORCED to learn it. That's it PERIOD.
    3. Oh wait ... ensure you have a SIM card or WiFi connection (something that ONLY Andorid OS allows you to bypass the setup guide without either - I just did this after wiping my son's HTC One M7).
    - here in lies the issue with BlackBerry and BB10 ... something that costs 5-10mins of an end users time, an administrators time, a helpdesk tech's time, a provider support reps time, or a wireless corporate accounts precious time*.

Let's presume for a moment that you recovered a LOST or stolen BB10 device just minutes after an incident and after it was reported to be wiped and the wipe completed.
    Let's presume your a corporate account sales rep preparing over 300 devices to setup and ship for a wireless account upgrade or migration to another provider and you're that other provider supporting a corporate account (or even a division). Let's presume you bought a Passport or a The Classic.

^ now ask yourself ... Do you REALLY need to go through this dumb setup guide YET AGAIN?! It's a common annoyance and I cannot tell you just how stupid corporate users are that cannot READ "This is your last attempt. A failed attempt will completely wipe your device." a critical phrase don't you think?

The ONLY part you're able to skip is with Blackberry ID ... and to make it worse ... when you THINK you've completed (10.2.1) you jump to setup your mailbox and other accounts and BOOM you're stopped and asked to 'complete' the guide. So why is there such a LONG silent pause in the guide after the jump to an app settings and then the minimize and finally swipe to the right to see your apps part of the guide BEFORE you get to be prompted twice to swipe to the left to see the HUB.?! WHY?!?!

^ THIS may only cost you 5mins every few months less if you don't load beta's and wipe because of poorly written android ported apps and such ... but to a corporate account sales or more likely support rep preparing 300+ devices with NO software from BlackBerry or 3rd party or even built into BB10 by Blackberry can cost you 1500mins/25hrs for 300 devices. ENJOY!

There are so many OTHER issues with BB10 or BES that NEEDS to be addressed:
    - BES10 and 12 Studio Activations FAIL to apply the corporate IT Policy. Look to see resolved policy's and guess what using the Studio to activate screws up this step a HUGE corporate security oversite!
    ^ Let's compound this if your helpdesk admin reps with minimal access to BES10 forget about this matter or not aware. Let's add a limited Work Space policy of say 30 days. yes security is REAL here. Now guess what happens when that password expires. User is prompted to change it ... But guess what. Here security fails! the end user changes this Work Space password and user goes on about their day ... completely forgetting the device lock pw doesn't match - their not warned either way because BES10/12 Studio forgets to apply this on activation. Now they pannick trying to get at their work space only to wipe it!
    There goes corporate communications where EVERY minute costs a dollar!
    - try explaining this to a non-tech-savy corporate executive or director working on a tight timeline?!

Let's NOT forget you cannot SYNC your Bookmarks ... not even with Internet Explorer or with Safari, Chrome, FireFox!! WTF how useful is this?! Oh wait you gotta download an applet on the desktop browser, then one for the device create an account (yup another one of those) then configure it to work and test hoping you got everything working. (pray your corporate PC doesn't get wiped or stolen) What happened Torch Mobile what happened to this functionality when you where purchased by BlackBerry back in BBOS days?

Shall I continue where BB fails?
    corporate security they're the BEST at bar-none ... but security should NEVER be the mantle nor the excuse given to a response of where USING the device has lost it's eloquence or simplicity.
    techvisor likes this.
    01-29-15 07:13 PM
    I agree that Chen's extrapolation from net neutrality to app neutrality is not very well thought out.

From a business perspective, the idea is impractical with today's software development technology. Ethically, it is also not something that developers should be forced to do by law. However, from a research perspective - i.e., developing platform-agnostic representations, from which platform-specific apps can be constructed at low cost, it is an awesome but difficult challenge.
    Not only impractical ... what's lost on many is it took ...
    how long for BB to bring BBM cross platform again? (they NEVER considered this when they where the kings of mobile messaging, hmm)
    When the app market and themes market was BOOMING in BBOS5-7.
    to get PIN to PIN messaging to work on Symbian UIQ/S60/Windows Smartphone PE/SE editions ... I recall ONLY PIN to device (receive only) worked on UIQ and S60 ... a total of 4 supported devices of which those where already 12mths on the market.
    techvisor likes this.
    01-29-15 07:34 PM
    You give Tim Cook too much credit.

Posted via CB10
    He's delivering EVEN when Apple was already successful and still beating well informed analysts. I think he deserves all the credit he deserves - except the coming out the closet thing but that's all personal preference. And in SPITE of the comments that the iPhone was just a bigger screen you MUST admit they're selling!

Marketing was always BlackBerry's poorest points and to a sad fault.
    The very BEST marketing BlackBerry had ever done in house I'd vote for is the BlackBerry Bold 9700 debut TV ad. No voice, just the shier design and few words. That is it. The 9900 took 2yrs to be their best seller ever; all the others had 1 yrs production run - and BB extended it to keep those happy.

For all your garbage talk you must admit and concede:
    1. BB10 did NOT give what BlackBerry users EXPECTED took them until 10.2.1 to get half right, and in February 10.3.1 launches officially N. American wide which finally gets everything done right!
    * Those that have used the TrackPad on the Classic with shipping OS KNOW it NEEDS to be refined in the OS for navigation and selection of Settings and other contextual menu pages.
    2. BlackBerry's recent marketing ads STILL appeal to mostly to the existing BB fan and user base ... especially the Classic. Why couldn't BB be bold enough to challenge the external marketing company to do 2 main ad focus' ... appeal to the existing user base/fan base in 1, and then in the other appeal to the mainstream market place on other mobile OS'?
    3. Chen clearly needs an advisor to get most of his points across ... his humor again personal taste so not touching that.

The very fact that there is an entire section dedicated to Armchair CEO on these boards - many posts and threads with incredible ideas that would surely help BlackBerry more successful and faster should wake you up.

5 major things helped BB the past 18mths.
    QNX - on 80% of cars on the road = 51 million.
    BES10 free trial and 2 for 1 CAS licenses turns into real cash next month.
    Externalize marketing and smartphone production (I PERSONALLY blogged and posted this eons ago just prior and after
    techvisor likes this.
    01-29-15 07:54 PM
    Honestly who gives a ****, it's only the anti blackberry people who are calling John Chen an *****, even though he has 2 degrees and a masters degree, and he's been a successful CEO with a proven track record. So who's the idiots here these journalists with a grade 8 education writing articles. Ha ha. Anyway did you see the news about Blackberry Passport and Z3 winning pretentious awards for design excellence. That's where its at. John Chen is doing an excellent job and will make Blackberry successful again. In other words there are more important thing to worry about. So go stuff your self. If you felt like a buffoon because someone called John Chen an ***** then you are one.
    Design awards are simply that ... awards ... bragging rights which clearly you focus half your attention on as s fanboy.

Chen as degrees 3 not two plus a masters degree (because your gr 8 education cannot ascertain a degree is a degree including a masters and that it's just the top of all degrees in it's respective association).

Since we're playing the "mine is bigger than yours" game lol ...

Tim Cook
    * Joined Apple as Snr VP of Worldwide Operations, EVP of Worldwide Sales & Operations, and COO until being named CEO. He's earned his chops and KNOWS how to GROW a company for success.
    * Serves on the board of Nike, Inc and the NFL.
    *Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial engineering (Auburn University), Master of Business Administration from Duke's Fuqua School of Business 1982 & 1988 respectively (6yrs and 2 degrees, one of which is a masters degree).

Mr. Chen's successful track record is exactly that what was highlighted in "Pretty Woman" by Richard Gere's character ... with one exception. John Chen didn't buy the company's up ... but he has certainly propped UP the company's networth: downsizing, right-sizing cash spend and flow and offer it up at the right price at the opportune time! The same staff he worked with at Sybase to execute just this to SAP ... their now in place at BlackBerry! So what exactly are you going on about? You should be worried that BlackBerry did NOT re-hire from within with someone with a track record. I'm a Canadian and I'm not liking that main aspect about the current leadership. Yes it had to be done but some dummy thought Heins was good idea and I was publicly critical about him right here on these boards.
    techvisor likes this.
    01-29-15 08:05 PM
    Apple is clear of making mistakes as well such as this ...

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new...ect.jpg?retina
    01-29-15 08:44 PM
    Design awards are simply that ... awards ... bragging rights which clearly you focus half your attention on as s fanboy.

Chen as degrees 3 not two plus a masters degree (because your gr 8 education cannot ascertain a degree is a degree including a masters and that it's just the top of all degrees in it's respective association).

Since we're playing the "mine is bigger than yours" game lol ...

Tim Cook
    * Joined Apple as Snr VP of Worldwide Operations, EVP of Worldwide Sales & Operations, and COO until being named CEO. He's earned his chops and KNOWS how to GROW a company for success.
    * Serves on the board of Nike, Inc and the NFL.
    *Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial engineering (Auburn University), Master of Business Administration from Duke's Fuqua School of Business 1982 & 1988 respectively (6yrs and 2 degrees, one of which is a masters degree).

Mr. Chen's successful track record is exactly that what was highlighted in "Pretty Woman" by Richard Gere's character ... with one exception. John Chen didn't buy the company's up ... but he has certainly propped UP the company's networth: downsizing, right-sizing cash spend and flow and offer it up at the right price at the opportune time! The same staff he worked with at Sybase to execute just this to SAP ... their now in place at BlackBerry! So what exactly are you going on about? You should be worried that BlackBerry did NOT re-hire from within with someone with a track record. I'm a Canadian and I'm not liking that main aspect about the current leadership. Yes it had to be done but some dummy thought Heins was good idea and I was publicly critical about him right here on these boards.
    Nike and Apple.....now there are two fine corporate citizens for ya.....
    buwee likes this.
    01-29-15 09:46 PM
    Wow ... that is the very BEST you can come up with?!

What a JOKE!

Ok ... I suggest you or any OTHER "a-typical" BlackBerry fan to read my posts ... spend 60mins to READ over the last 6mths of my post on this site, on twitter (@Supa_Fly1) or my now old and defunct blog (seriousmobile.wordpress.com). I CHALLENGE YOU ... neh I DARE YOU.

NOTE: You're not challenging comments on BlackBerry against a typical Apple/iOS fanboy. The lot of you here over the past few years here are JOKERS and completely incompetent with a typical backhand response. I'd like to presume BB users and fans are SMARTER ... posting challenging comments not typical expectations of posts that an Android fan boy would on specs, or an Apple fan boy would in saying "it's better .. it just works". I work in I.T. for 14years.

I've worked with 2 cellphone providers from TDMA to GSM/GPRS/EDGE, I've supported BES4.1 to BB10 and now BES12 and BBOS4 to BB10 on multiple models on multiple corporations across Toronto!

A simple challenge where Blackberry fails ... and it's a VERY simple approach!

BlackBerry Setup/Walkthrough guide to get to know BB10.
    1. Power on your brand new out of the box or wiped BB10 device.
    2. Go through the walk through wizard ... because you're FORCED to learn it. That's it PERIOD.
    3. Oh wait ... ensure you have a SIM card or WiFi connection (something that ONLY Andorid OS allows you to bypass the setup guide without either - I just did this after wiping my son's HTC One M7).
    - here in lies the issue with BlackBerry and BB10 ... something that costs 5-10mins of an end users time, an administrators time, a helpdesk tech's time, a provider support reps time, or a wireless corporate accounts precious time*.

Let's presume for a moment that you recovered a LOST or stolen BB10 device just minutes after an incident and after it was reported to be wiped and the wipe completed.
    Let's presume your a corporate account sales rep preparing over 300 devices to setup and ship for a wireless account upgrade or migration to another provider and you're that other provider supporting a corporate account (or even a division). Let's presume you bought a Passport or a The Classic.

^ now ask yourself ... Do you REALLY need to go through this dumb setup guide YET AGAIN?! It's a common annoyance and I cannot tell you just how stupid corporate users are that cannot READ "This is your last attempt. A failed attempt will completely wipe your device." a critical phrase don't you think?

The ONLY part you're able to skip is with Blackberry ID ... and to make it worse ... when you THINK you've completed (10.2.1) you jump to setup your mailbox and other accounts and BOOM you're stopped and asked to 'complete' the guide. So why is there such a LONG silent pause in the guide after the jump to an app settings and then the minimize and finally swipe to the right to see your apps part of the guide BEFORE you get to be prompted twice to swipe to the left to see the HUB.?! WHY?!?!

^ THIS may only cost you 5mins every few months less if you don't load beta's and wipe because of poorly written android ported apps and such ... but to a corporate account sales or more likely support rep preparing 300+ devices with NO software from BlackBerry or 3rd party or even built into BB10 by Blackberry can cost you 1500mins/25hrs for 300 devices. ENJOY!

There are so many OTHER issues with BB10 or BES that NEEDS to be addressed:
    - BES10 and 12 Studio Activations FAIL to apply the corporate IT Policy. Look to see resolved policy's and guess what using the Studio to activate screws up this step a HUGE corporate security oversite!
    ^ Let's compound this if your helpdesk admin reps with minimal access to BES10 forget about this matter or not aware. Let's add a limited Work Space policy of say 30 days. yes security is REAL here. Now guess what happens when that password expires. User is prompted to change it ... But guess what. Here security fails! the end user changes this Work Space password and user goes on about their day ... completely forgetting the device lock pw doesn't match - their not warned either way because BES10/12 Studio forgets to apply this on activation. Now they pannick trying to get at their work space only to wipe it!
    There goes corporate communications where EVERY minute costs a dollar!
    - try explaining this to a non-tech-savy corporate executive or director working on a tight timeline?!

Let's NOT forget you cannot SYNC your Bookmarks ... not even with Internet Explorer or with Safari, Chrome, FireFox!! WTF how useful is this?! Oh wait you gotta download an applet on the desktop browser, then one for the device create an account (yup another one of those) then configure it to work and test hoping you got everything working. (pray your corporate PC doesn't get wiped or stolen) What happened Torch Mobile what happened to this functionality when you where purchased by BlackBerry back in BBOS days?

Shall I continue where BB fails?
    corporate security they're the BEST at bar-none ... but security should NEVER be the mantle nor the excuse given to a response of where USING the device has lost it's eloquence or simplicity.
    Okay... have to agree with you there. I have bought 7 bb10 devices for myself and family members and I agree having to go through that forced tutorial on a new phone when you already know the basics of bb10 is aggravating. I can't imagine what that is like for somebody whom has to do that every day at work.

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 and techvisor like this.
    01-29-15 10:01 PM
    Moron's?

Let's look at the record.

Apple is a software company that believes in making it's own hardware because they can guarantee the synergies of the final product. They've proven this with 3 major implementations of software (their own) and hardware (licensed/borrowed; that is for another argument).
    Mac computers
    - worked with HP to create the first LaserJet printer (back when InkJet didn't exist and when line printers where only available
    - first home/personal/business computer to have more than 2 sounds play simultaneously, first for 16-bit colour, first to have a TV Tuner Card, First with Hot-Plug adapters for accessories (yes they beat Intel with USB).
    Apple's PC sales have increase quarter over quarter against ALL not one, two or three but ALL GLOBAL PC manufacturers for 5yrs! 5 Years!

^ Moron's do NOT select a product line that works ... they choose what continues to struggle or fail because pig-headedness blinds them from the obvious!! Ever think that after the day people want to use a PC that is seamless with their mobile lifestyle vs waste time troubleshooting it?!

Portables
    - They where pretty much last with a Jukebox PC software and MP3 player yet they conquered the market here: Remember the Sony Walkman (I did back in '84 it boggle's me why they even bother!)
    - Smartphones ... 34'000 per minute sorry not an hour for 90 days solid ... that is an ALARMING rate that You or any other BLIND Blackberry fan (I'm still a fan just not a blind one any longer) would tute their horn all over the place naked if it was BlackBerry again.
    (Are you the typical fan that keeps clinging to BB making the first smartphone? LMAO that's a gas assed laugh as it's false, BB themselves no longer uses that)
    - Apple learns from their major mistakes and comes out swinging like a champ ... they've EARNED the right to their success and as in The Art of War you should be happy in their success and PRAY that BlackBerry learns FASTER at theirs!!

CEO Public Letters
    - Apple's former CEO did 2, and the current 1.
    * Lot's of talk by their constituents yet ALL where SPOT ON and ALL where well accepted and intelligent and on POINT; the latter I care nothing about as it was more personal vs anything specific to their users.
    BlackBerry by comparison has CEO that fired from the HIP and yet not a secretary, external or internal marketing team or press team EVER thought to truely READ what he typed considered any part of negative thought based on that? He hasn't even bothered to retract anything as it's too embarrasing; don't be surprised if it takes him another 3wks to show up publicly anywhere! This no matter WHAT he intended (he's not clarifying) did NOT come across in what he stated!

BANKRUPTCY!
    - Apple Avoided this and not simply survived ... they've STRIVED!! What is BlackBerry doing ... barely surviving and their revenue streams are NEEDED to be adjusted to get to where they are now 18mths later and yet STILL one false move could end them!

BlackBerry
    - BB10 new OS
    - Less than 4mths head of developers globally pushes for Android porting ... TO WHAT POINT does THIS actually HELPS BB10 as an OS or Developers??!???
    ^ I'd LOVE to see actual FACTS of how many developers BB10 native/html/Qt vs Android ports or just Android (keep numbers separately).

Morons?
    - Microsoft Apps: OneNote, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and now Outlook (I've mentioned ALL not available for BB10 or BBOS). Enjoy working on those heavy office documents while mobile and RISK having the recipients see the content juxtaposed due to incorrect matching fonts from Docs2Go (no desktop to interplay here). Oh yes there is also Lync 2013 available. Straight up compatibility! Microsoft, BlackBerry's former Platinum partner has decided to shun them!!
    - QNX is allowed to create embedded systems and software and show off with innovative hardware yet in NO WAY allow for Co-branded recognition. More on this importance later*

Finally ... while CarPlay and Google's infotainment overlay gets ALL the marketing $, blitz and consumers AND business partnerships fund$$ ... BlackBerry and QNX keep being the silent dead lay so to speak (*) This hurts brand name recognition and thus in turn directly affects marketing dollars!!

Now tell me how moronic is that?

^ read above.
    Hit a raw note, have I? You've just described all iApple users. You clearly want an audience for your ranting tantrums, otherwise why are you here on Crackberry?

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    buwee likes this.
    01-29-15 11:02 PM
    I understand what you're saying, but I don't equate the two. I'm talking about an app like I would talk about a blu-ray disc. It is a consumer consumption product that can be played on many different devices.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2072
    And for a time, Blu Ray was only one format among a few that supported high def content. Blu Ray, HDCAM, D-VHS, & HD DVD. But Blu Ray won... and is now the primary format supported. The rest died. I don't see owners and makers of HD DVD players crying to the goverment to force content creators to support their dead format.

It happened with VHS/Betamax/LaserDisc. It happened with BluRay/HDDVD. VHS won the former. BluRay, the latter. Hell, it even happened with video game consoles. Sega and Nintendo used to rule the gaming world. Then Sony and Microsoft got involved. Now, PlayStation and XBox are the two primary supported systems. Nintendo survives mostly on in-house created content. Sega has been dead since the Dreamcast. (Some would argue their death started long before. As far back as the programs to extend the life of the Sega Genesis, like 32X and Sega CD. Saturn was DOA for many people.)
    Last edited by jmr1015; 01-30-15 at 12:18 AM.
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    01-29-15 11:26 PM
    And for a time, Blu Ray was only one format among a few. DVD. HD DVD. But Blu Ray won... and is now the primary format supported. DVD still gets some support. But HD DVD died. I don't see owners and makers of HD DVD players crying to the goverment to force content creators to support their dead format.
    I don't see this as a good analogy.

Look at it this way: IF Netflix, Instagram, Facebook, Hulu, and other big name apps came out and said they only wanted to support one app each, and that it would be in html(x), so make it happen smartphone guys.

I know this is completely unrealistic, but it is more in line with my thought.

Again, I'm not saying any of this is possible. I'm just saying there would be some positives if things eventually went this way. I accept the negatives raised by the others too. I'm just chattin'!

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2072
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-30-15 12:09 AM
    Companies ARE discriminating against BlackBerry
    Because paying customers are too. And both are allowed.

Blackberry was once the top of the heap in smartphones. They fell asleep and Apple took over the game.

You snooze you lose. It's that simple and crying to Congress just humiliates you.
    JeepBB, TGR1, MikeX74 and 1 others like this.
    01-30-15 02:12 AM
    And now it's not about "neutrality" or "apps" ... It's about brandX better than brandY ?
    I believe it's very significant of how the discussion about this particular debate is biased and lacking of "altitude".
    Just chill out, forget brands and chapels. See the big picture and try to figure out what benefit EVERY brand could gain from this.
    Then, pinch you nose and re-read.

P.S: in case you missed it, this is a friendly "hey, can we go back on topic ?" post
    01-30-15 05:05 AM
    It's as simple as free enterprise and competition.

Instagram can either make an app ir let igran have a license.

That's all this means and crapple survived cuz microsoft handed it money..

If inly it didn't, and on desktop there is also linux...

The best one.
    01-30-15 05:24 AM
    Lol at the hype of tim cook. What a laugh riot.

The true king is Steve Jobs. He delivered. He came with innovations and made trends. And kept his his life private. That's what I respect.

Tim Cook? Please. He took Jobs latest ideas. This year he must deliver. And I am not talking about the iwatch. We will see. That guy has no class or passion.

But as long the sales are fine, who cares anyway.

Posted via CB10
    byex likes this.
    01-30-15 05:42 AM
    And for a time, Blu Ray was only one format among a few that supported high def content. Blu Ray, HDCAM, D-VHS, & HD DVD. But Blu Ray won... and is now the primary format supported. The rest died. I don't see owners and makers of HD DVD players crying to the goverment to force content creators to support their dead format.
    Lol, You nailed it. And your signature summarizes all.

Talking on standards, there are different standards for standards it self. Like some one commented on motors, you cannot take a motor from US and plug it at UK. Not possible.

Neutrality of anything is an issue of people or the rights of people. For a business, one cannot use neutrality as a weapon. You have to fight it out. Net neutrality is an issue cos it affects people in one or the other way. Not Apps. Lol, the entire smartphone users bar BB users are enjoying that.

Now coming to JC penning this in LinkedIn and posing as if fighting for a cause (of people) is childish. But mistakes do happen. Hope Chen will recover from this like he did in his statement on device business some times back.

The only way for them while they are experimenting with ART and Amazon for little and fun things (apps), to focus on their enterprise market, they should bring big people in to the platform. I am not talking about Instagram. But what about MS Office. Are enterprises stopped using that? What about printing directly from device?
    01-30-15 05:50 AM
    I'm going to code my own smartphone OS and make some of my apps available on Apple and Google app stores and then demand that the law force Google and Apple to put all of their proprietary apps on my OS
    Thats not what he said, he is talking about third party apps.
    And although I agree with his sentiment, I totally disagree with how he presented it. Maybe gather the top 50 devs for the most (world) popular apps, partner with Microsoft, and make it worth to them to make all apps available on all platforms. Or some **** like that.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    01-30-15 06:32 AM
    I think those who YOU imagine are mocking Chen have already forgotten about it... a testament to BlackBerry's current position: those who haven't forgotten? The Investors who are praising Chen which is reflected in the share price, and after their brief facepalm they've moved on. Is Steve Jobs defined by "you're holding it wrong"? Is Bill Gates defined by "Bob" or Windows ME? Those were significant HUGER "failures", because those companies were huger.
    The problem is BlackBerry is defined by many, many failures now at this point, mostly to the detriment of the end users. Yes Steve Jobs said you're holding it wrong, but once it was out of control and shown to be a real issue, Apple offered FREE cases to prevent the attenuation issue and make end users as whole as they could. BlackBerry says PlayBook will get the "new phone OS" and then says BB10, then says sorry can't do it and that's it. Nothing to the customer other than sorry about that. BlackBerry talks about making Bb10 successful and works with Devs when trying to get it going, and then comes out and says we they are focusing on business and tells developers to develop in Android and submit to the Amazon store. Basically screwing over developers and us users who choose BlackBerry for a personal device. Other companies manage customer relations and realize that keeping your customers and developers happy is important, BlackBerry doesn't and the free market is giving them the proportional response.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-15 06:45 AM
    The problem is BlackBerry is defined by many, many failures now at this point, mostly to the detriment of the end users. Yes Steve Jobs said you're holding it wrong, but once it was out of control and shown to be a real issue, Apple offered FREE cases to prevent the attenuation issue and make end users as whole as they could. BlackBerry says PlayBook will get the "new phone OS" and then says BB10, then says sorry can't do it and that's it. Nothing to the customer other than sorry about that. BlackBerry talks about making Bb10 successful and works with Devs when trying to get it going, and then comes out and says we they are focusing on business and tells developers to develop in Android and submit to the Amazon store. Basically screwing over developers and us users who choose BlackBerry for a personal device. Other companies manage customer relations and realize that keeping your customers and developers happy is important, BlackBerry doesn't and the free market is giving them the proportional response.

Posted via CB10
    Agree!!!

BlackBerry's problems today are a result of the last five years of not really understanding what the smartphone market had become. Even if you made the playing field "fair" for them.... they would still be out matched at this point. Even if we had all of the big apps at the launch of BB10.... the Z10 still had too small of a battery and the OS was a buggy and immature mess back then. And of course BlackBerry didn't have the cash to do a real marketing campaign... they might have sold a few million more devices, but the Platform would have still failed.

Today BB10 is a MUCH better OS and can stand on it's own. But BlackBerry can't afford to build quality Flagship type devices at prices that would be competitive with other major lines. And they sure don't have the capabilities to do the marketing that IS very important to getting the attention of the consumer market. And while BB10 is powerful, it isn't simple or intuitive to use. And ultimately they would still be a struggling company that might be on the verge of getting out of hardware or being bought by a larger company... and so enterprise would still be hesitant to commit.

So basically even if this "app neutrality" were within the realm of reason (and it isn't), it wouldn't help BlackBerry at this point.
    techvisor and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    01-30-15 08:48 AM
    I wonder if Chen would say the same thing if BlackBerry was in the same position as Apple or Google...
    techvisor likes this.
    01-30-15 09:16 AM
    I wonder if Chen would say the same thing if BlackBerry was in the same position as Apple or Google...
    If BlackBerry were in the same position, what would be the point? I think out of all the CEOs - including the originals (in the latter years prior to leaving), Chen was never delusional about where BlackBerry was(in the market) when he took over or the mistakes of the past prior to accepting the CEO position....to move forward. While I don't agree with all of his moves, I do give him credit for trying while not blowing smoke about how the company is going to sell millions of Passports/Classics.
    01-30-15 09:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    Very very very very spot on!

Posted via CB10
    MikeX74 likes this.
    01-30-15 10:02 AM
    If BlackBerry were in the same position, what would be the point? I think out of all the CEOs - including the originals (in the latter years prior to leaving), Chen was never delusional about where BlackBerry was(in the market) when he took over or the mistakes of the past prior to accepting the CEO position....to move forward. While I don't agree with all of his moves, I do give him credit for trying while not blowing smoke about how the company is going to sell millions of Passports/Classics.
    I do agree Chen is the best that they have had.... but at the very beginning Chen made a stupid remark about moving out of the hardware business. While that might be the future of the company, it isn't something that I think he should have "voiced" when hardware sales were still so important. Because all those articles back then that talked about this transition to a Services company.... probably got a number of companies that were still on the fences about BlackBerry to look else where for hardware and maybe even for EMM.

Personally I don't think Chen understood how different BlackBerry was from Sybase. But ultimately I think Chen was dealt a very tough hand and he has done the best he could with it.
    Blacklatino and kbz1960 like this.
    01-30-15 10:31 AM
    I don't see this as a good analogy.

Look at it this way: IF Netflix, Instagram, Facebook, Hulu, and other big name apps came out and said they only wanted to support one app each, and that it would be in html(x), so make it happen smartphone guys.

I know this is completely unrealistic, but it is more in line with my thought.

Again, I'm not saying any of this is possible. I'm just saying there would be some positives if things eventually went this way. I accept the negatives raised by the others too. I'm just chattin'!

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2072
    There are definitely positives for the less competitive platforms because you essentially have to target the lowest performer or the work isn't platform neutral. But that potentially penalizes the more functional platforms and that right there guarantees why the concept won't work unless mandated - the more functional platforms will start putting the majority of their effort into versions that can be tweaked to maximize specific platform strengths.
    01-30-15 10:42 AM
241 ... 45678 ...