You may think this but clearly there are others like me that doesn't share your opinion at all.
    Try reading some headlines outside of CB... pretty much everyone in the main stream is calling out the idiocy off what he said.

Posted via CB10
    thracian and techvisor like this.
    01-28-15 01:46 PM
    You may think this but clearly there are others like me that doesn't share your opinion at all.
    The problem is that LOTS of people share the exact same feelings with respect to Chen's post - it looks childish, silly, self-serving, and on its surface - laughable. This is not good for Blackberry. At any level.
    serbanescu likes this.
    01-28-15 02:03 PM
    The problem is that LOTS of people share the exact same feelings with respect to Chen's post - it looks childish, silly, self-serving, and on its surface - laughable. This is not good for Blackberry. At any level.
    BlackBerry could cure cancer and they would be ripped apart in the press.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2072
    01-28-15 02:05 PM
    Actually, the tendency to dump on all things BlackBerry is becoming just as rampant on CB as it is on Yahoo where the stock market short sellers, haters and iSheep post their constant negative "reviews" and "analysis". Of course they publish critical things about Chen now that he is succeeding. I think what he said makes sense.

TCB on Z10
    thymaster likes this.
    01-28-15 02:09 PM
    No one knows what's going on. We all have an opinion, and that's wonderful. If everyone on this forum was as bright as Chen and other CEOS you would be making a crapful of money.

Just relax!

Posted via CB10
    mk2234, KemKev, buwee and 1 others like this.
    01-28-15 02:11 PM
    BlackBerry could cure cancer and they would be ripped apart in the press.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2072
    That may be true. But I'd prefer to tackle that problem rather than having to deal with defending an apparently ridiculous post...
    01-28-15 02:19 PM
    No one knows what's going on. We all have an opinion, and that's wonderful. If everyone on this forum was as bright as Chen and other CEOS you would be making a crapful of money.

Just relax!

Posted via CB10
    How do you know we're not?

The only reason I'm here is in hopes to effect change such that I can continue efficiently making money while using a BlackBerry device.

And I'm hyper critical of Chen because he is most assuredly taking a course that will insure BlackBerry's demise.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackberry_geek; 01-28-15 at 06:00 PM.
    01-28-15 02:20 PM
    I can't believe I wasted time reading this thread. Start out with a false premise and an incorrect interpretation and then just let it go. Can we get some real BB news instead of a bunch of 2nd hand stuff. Ugh.
    01-28-15 03:42 PM
    How do you know we're not?

The only reason I'm here is in hopes to effect change such that I can continue efficiently making money while using a BlackBerry device.

And I'm hyper critical of Chan because he is most assuredly taking a course that will insure BlackBerry's demise.

Posted via CB10
    Since you can see the future and know Chen is taking a course to BlackBerry's demise, can I have the winning lottery numbers for tonight?
    01-28-15 03:43 PM
    If CNN was using the public airwaves to broadcast programs that could be received only by CNN-brand TVs, would it be OK for the CEO of other TV manufacturers to complain to Government? What is different about apps? If we are willing to pay for them, they should make apps available to all devices over the public cellular networks.

TCB on Z10
    This was Mr Chen's point, especially when it comes to Netflix, which consumes a huge amount of the internet bandwidth.
    playboldbook likes this.
    01-28-15 03:49 PM
    I think he means more like, netflix and amazon prime have device checks

Bb10 is fully html5 compatible, if not the most compatible; however, it is not on the approved list.

This is not neutrality, what if Youtube didn't work on LINUX mint but only on ubuntu?
    It seems even the Google app store has device checks now, blocking BlackBerry devices. I was on the Play Store, logged in via my Mac and when I tried to get an app, it said it was not available for my device, BlackBerry Passport.

Attachment 330353
    RexdaleNap likes this.
    01-28-15 03:56 PM
    This was Mr Chen's point, especially when it comes to Netflix, which consumes a huge amount of the internet bandwidth.
    And what is wrong with Netflix using bandwidth... don't they and their users pay for it??

Even the others poster with the CNN example was off the mark... there are no public airwaves or public cellular networks, government has sold them all off for billions. And those buyers can do what they want with them (within the requirements of the laws).

Yes it would be nice if every developer would make an app to work with all platforms.... it would also be nice if Disney would accept my tickets from the local amusement park as admission..
    kbz1960 and serbanescu like this.
    01-28-15 04:05 PM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Exactly... and that is why he is not CEO material.

Posted via CB10
    You would not be qualified to park his car, then....

Posted via CB10
    momark, buwee and clickitykeys like this.
    01-28-15 04:19 PM
    A lot of people are talking about Netflix,just watch and see BB get that App and Chen delivers again ,the stock is heading back to where it was b4 the samy BS, and now he probably will time the announcement to keep it above $10 US when it drops to $9,50,next ER is going to be Hard for shareholders,what else could he posibly gain from his Rant?
    01-28-15 04:21 PM
    Open App standard instead of walled garden protectionism...?

That's in the end, I reckon, what he tried to get across, but he was misunderstood (intentionally or intellectually). Sure, those profiting from the status quo will do or say anything to make his statement look as the height of foolishness, buffoonery, arrogance or whatever else one could say...

�   Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?   �
    01-28-15 04:21 PM
    If CNN was using the public airwaves to broadcast programs that could be received only by CNN-brand TVs, would it be OK for the CEO of other TV manufacturers to complain to Government? What is different about apps? If we are willing to pay for them, they should make apps available to all devices over the public cellular networks.

TCB on Z10
    Ok fine, most users are on Android anyway, and it's open source. Why not just create all apps for android from now on. Would that satisfy you?

!
    01-28-15 04:36 PM
    I think Chen was right about Netflix. Chen was right about the monopoly of IOS/Android.
    01-28-15 04:37 PM
    . there are no public airwaves or public cellular networks, government has sold them all off for billions. And those buyers can do what they want with them (within the requirements of the laws).

Yes it would be nice if every developer would make an app to work with all platforms.... it would also be nice if Disney would accept my tickets from the local amusement park as admission..
    I am not sure if it is the same in the USA, but the airwaves may be licensed, not sold off. Wouldn't the auctions be for the radio spectrum license, not the spectrum itself? Years ago I had a business with a private radio frequency. We didn't own the frequency, just had the private use of it until we no longer wanted it and didn't renew the license. I suspect the Internet is the same, nobody owns it, just have the license to use it in each country.

And what is wrong with Netflix using bandwidth... don't they and their users pay for it??
    In regards to Netflix, BlackBerry offered to make or provide the resources for Netflix to make the app and Netflix refused. The same company that is using 70% of the bandwidth at certain times of the day. I don't think the users of Netflix pay proportional to the amount of the Internet bandwidth they are consuming. Don't forget that your $8.99 for Netflix goes to Netflix, not the ISP.
    RexdaleNap likes this.
    01-28-15 04:42 PM
    I think Chen was right about Netflix. Chen was right about the monopoly of IOS/Android.
    That's not a monopoly.
    01-28-15 04:52 PM
    That's not a monopoly.
    Duopoly?
    01-28-15 04:54 PM
    That's not a monopoly.
    That's true, but if all apps were platform-neutral, the dominance of iOS and Android would be gone overnight.

I actually think we would see some cool devices and some neat innovations if competition came down to strictly form factor and OS design.

Not that I'm necessarily in favour of busting monopolies in general. These companies worked hard to get where they are.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2072
    kbz1960 and theotherjoeboy like this.
    01-28-15 04:57 PM
    That's not a monopoly.
    Never let a little fact get in the way of fiery righteousness.
    kbz1960 and hpjrt like this.
    01-28-15 05:04 PM
    You would not be qualified to park his car, then....

Posted via CB10
    Exactly my thoughts - I like how all these armchair CEO's that think they know everything, but the reality is Chen's janitor's probably make more money than the armchair CEO's posting here. In other words if these armchair CEO's think they're so smart why aren't they running a company and no, I'm not talking about a Mom and Pop operation or a pool cleaning business. LOL
    01-28-15 05:09 PM
    I think the guy wants to build momentum going into Barcelona and will probably announce 3 big apps including Netflix there.Big Deal!!
    01-28-15 05:11 PM
    That's true, but if all apps were platform-neutral, the dominance of iOS and Android would be gone overnight.
    Highly debatable. Apple has quality customer service, strong retail support, superior management. Google has a free OS that can be forked like crazy by whichever OEM wants (although not technically Android it is close enough for the user in a platform-neutral world) to run in inexpensive, high-spec models. Apps are critical IMO but don't account by themselves for the sheer dominance of those two platforms.

I actually think we would see some cool devices and some neat innovations if competition came down to strictly form factor and OS design.
    I would say Xiaomi is a pretty useful model to look at and let's just say there isn't a lot of originality in UI and form factor there.

Having platform-neutral apps across the board hardly frees up resources for the OEM to get innovative in design. The bulk of app developers are 3rd-party.
    Ealaionta, techvisor and MikeX74 like this.
    01-28-15 05:21 PM
241 1234 ...