Phil Nickinson over at AC has pretty much nailed it in his article

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-you-can-make-blackberry-ceos-crazy-***-smartphone-dream-reality"]How you can make the BlackBerry CEO's bat****-crazy smartphone dream a reality

My translation of Chen? "I can win on strength of merit so I'll do what all other losing teams do and ask for legal intervention to make up for my failings"
    I think I'm going to give this a try. I'm going to code my own smartphone OS and make some of my apps available on Apple and Google app stores and then demand that the law force Google and Apple to put all of their proprietary apps on my OS. Heck, let's open this right up for everyone! We'll revolutionize capitalism by legislating through government regulation that no companies are allowed to own their own creations! It'll be just like a Disney movie where nobody ever gets to win a school football game so all the kids can be winners

I disagree with Phil on one point though. I don't think Chen is crazy. I think he's sleazy because those are sleaze tactics. Not that it will amount to anything, he definitely is a loon if he thinks he stands a chance of being taken seriously. Thor may have been boring and out of touch but at least he wasn't a buffoon.
    01-28-15 09:25 AM
    01-28-15 12:00 PM
    How about a clickable linky?
    01-28-15 12:02 PM
    Again, IMHO and all due respect and tada tada, I believe many would have a different approach if you take this exact post and ommit all BlackBerry (words) occurences. When one talks about "neutrality" this can't be expected to be for the sole benefit of his brand.
    But there's numerous threads about it already ... so, just jump in to discuss further
    MikeX74 likes this.
    01-28-15 12:05 PM
    This thread should be interesting, again.... Although I do agree with Phil, Chen's statements regarding forcing dev to provide for BB was complete nonsense.
    kbz1960 and anon(5818411) like this.
    01-28-15 12:11 PM
    Huh?????
    01-28-15 12:12 PM
    01-28-15 12:15 PM
    This thread should be interesting, again.... Although I do agree with Phil, Chen's statements regarding forcing dev to provide for BB was complete nonsense.
    I suggest watching The BerryFlow Upstream where Bla1ze and the BerryFlow team explain what this is really all about.
    01-28-15 12:15 PM
    I suggest watching The BerryFlow Upstream where Bla1ze and the BerryFlow team explain what this is really all about.
    Part of BlackBerry's problem... actually most of it... is the only people left that care are us CB geeks.

It doesn't rally matter what us geeks think in the end.

Chen has made us all look like buffoons to the non CB geek world... regardless of what he might have meant.

Posted via CB10
    Batibreaker and anon(8080272) like this.
    01-28-15 12:22 PM
    I think he means more like, netflix and amazon prime have device checks

Bb10 is fully html5 compatible, if not the most compatible; however, it is not on the approved list.

This is not neutrality, what if Youtube didn't work on LINUX mint but only on ubuntu?
    -Puck- and playboldbook like this.
    01-28-15 12:24 PM
    You shouldn't need a bunch of bloggers to interpret what the CEO meant.
    01-28-15 12:25 PM
    I should watch first ... but .... this ?
    The Surprising Winner of the HTML5 Versus Native Apps War | Inside BlackBerry
    hobbyboy#CB likes this.
    01-28-15 12:25 PM
    Some people seem to have forgotten that microsoft was forced to offer other browsers on their own OS because apparently it was a 'monopoly ' to include only your own browser on your own OS.

On the same basis this can be applied to smartphones
    playboldbook and SmileDahling like this.
    01-28-15 12:27 PM
    I think he means more like, netflix and amazon prime have device checks

Bb10 is fully html5 compatible, if not the most compatible; however, it is not on the approved list.

This is not neutrality, what if Youtube didn't work on LINUX mint but only on ubuntu?
    approved list for what exactly?
    01-28-15 12:27 PM
    You shouldn't need a bunch of bloggers to interpret what the CEO meant.
    Exactly... and that is why he is not CEO material.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 12:31 PM
    We live in a country that allows us to express ourselves freely. Chen is entitled to his opinions, and you don't have to agree with it. That's the beauty of our system.

Posted via CB10
    JBhar, thymaster and wincyUt like this.
    01-28-15 12:34 PM
    Again, IMHO and all due respect and tada tada, I believe many would have a different approach if you take this exact post and ommit all BlackBerry (words) occurences. When one talks about "neutrality" this can't be expected to be for the sole benefit of his brand.
    But there's numerous threads about it already ... so, just jump in to discuss further
    Exactly!!! Why is it a bad idea to have any apps on any phone. He is basically saying that he doesn't want a monopoly, if it's carriers or OS based apps. I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

Honestly, if jobs would have said this it would happen the next day.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 12:37 PM
    Some people seem to have forgotten that microsoft was forced to offer other browsers on their own OS because apparently it was a 'monopoly ' to include only your own browser on your own OS.

On the same basis this can be applied to smartphones
    Yup!

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 12:37 PM
    Being a BlackBerry users- I can relate with Chen's message but I do not agree that Devs should be forced into doing something that they do not want to do. If they don't want to build apps for BB... that's fine, its their choice! What Chen should be focusing on, is building better apps with the Devs he got. For example- their FaceBook apps (BB-Native) needs so much work, there are tons of bugs- from newsfeed, profile, sharing, pics and the list goes on. I am not knocking Chen but there is still some house cleaning that needs to get done, before he start cleaning outside... My $0.02
    MikeX74 likes this.
    01-28-15 12:38 PM
    Part of BlackBerry's problem... actually most of it... is the only people left that care are us CB geeks.

It doesn't rally matter what us geeks think in the end.

Chen has made us all look like buffoons to the non CB geek world... regardless of what he might have meant.

Posted via CB10
    I really don't think anyone else cares either. Maybe a few tech bloggers, but certainly not any potential customers.

I just think he threw it out there at an opportune moment to see what kind of conversations it could generate. I don't think it was part of a big strategy or anything.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2072
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    01-28-15 12:47 PM
    I'm so tired of hearing about the Facebook app for BlackBerry. It's great imho. No ads, no separate messenger I can chat in the app. I can post share and tag people. That's all that anyone really needs for a FB app. Sorry you can't log into your Facebook app and play farmville of some other game...

Posted via CB10
    extisis, Zirak, thymaster and 7 others like this.
    01-28-15 12:47 PM
    If CNN was using the public airwaves to broadcast programs that could be received only by CNN-brand TVs, would it be OK for the CEO of other TV manufacturers to complain to Government? What is different about apps? If we are willing to pay for them, they should make apps available to all devices over the public cellular networks.

TCB on Z10
    01-28-15 01:02 PM
    I am not sure if you are referring to my comment about FB (FunktasticLucky), but if you are... My problem is not playing games on FB, my problem is accessing my post from the BB-FB app. I cannot see any of my post under my profile- my newsfeeds sometime would not load and missing a ton of post compared to the browser version. Also, an opinion is like a fart in a crowd- not because you have one means you need to let it out
    01-28-15 01:06 PM
    We live in a country that allows us to express ourselves freely. Chen is entitled to his opinions, and you don't have to agree with it. That's the beauty of our system.

Posted via CB10
    Nobody is questioning whether or not he has the right.

Of course he has the right.

But he is a highly paid CEO expected to have vision and strategic goals and be able to effectively communicate them.

Instead he's made himself and BlackBerry look like buffoons.

Geesh... isn't that obvious?

Posted via CB10
    kirson likes this.
    01-28-15 01:37 PM
    Instead he's made himself and BlackBerry look like buffoons.
    You may think this but clearly there are others like me that doesn't share your opinion at all.
    mk2234, JBhar, Skyforever and 5 others like this.
    01-28-15 01:42 PM
241 123 ...