Seems many of Chen's decisions, like not focusing on hardware, won't make fans happy.

I find him very focused on making BlackBerry profitable and it looks like it might be at the expense of a few fans who won't let go of the past.

His obligations are to the shareholders, then the existing enterprise clientele, not the fanboys who want several devices a year.

You can't please everyone. I'm sure the business owners on the forums (myself included) can agree with a majority of Chen's decisions. Sometimes to keep a company afloat financially, you need to make tough decisions, unless you are aa business owner, you won't understand that.
    07-27-15 04:47 PM
    Apple has religiously released one device per year and fanboys and girls still buy them even if they are all the same. We, as BlackBerry supporters, need to stop complaining and get over what's happening. If you don't like something then stop supporting them and get over it, just like you said.

Posted via CB10
    amjass12, MC_A_DOT, moegh and 16 others like this.
    07-27-15 04:55 PM
    I run a 99.9% mobile only business. I need to know what BlackBerry is offering me the prosumer. Chen has given myself and many others in my position no offerings and nothing on what's to come.

Chen needs to step up and let us know what's going on.

Chen is a master of saying nothing. Just as a fine politician he answers questions vaguely with no real depth. He is becoming very frustrating.

"We are working on something", is the extent of his most candid takes.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 04:56 PM
    I believe Prosumers are taken care of very well through classic, passport, z30 and BES.

Personally, I'd like to see less phones but higher quality and better specs.
    07-27-15 05:07 PM
    I believe Prosumers are taken care of very well through classic, passport, z30 and BES.

Personally, I'd like to see less phones but higher quality and better specs.
    I agree with fewer offerings. More resources can be spent on a premier offering. BlackBerry needs to aim for disruptive technology. Set the bar high!

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 05:12 PM
    Chen is going to have to start delivering to share holders as well. A depressed stock price and little to no clear road of offerings isn't going to be allowed for too much longer.

Chen needs to step up

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 05:21 PM
    I run a 99.9% mobile only business. I need to know what BlackBerry is offering me the prosumer. Chen has given myself and many others in my position no offerings and nothing on what's to come.

Chen needs to step up and let us know what's going on.

Chen is a master of saying nothing. Just as a fine politician he answers questions vaguely with no real depth. He is becoming very frustrating.

"We are working on something", is the extent of his most candid takes.
    What kind of info do you need? You know the next device will be a Slider, as that's what they've announced. Beyond that, you probably want to know how often full touch will be updated, Passport will be updated, etc. Apple keeps it simple, one form factor, released every year. People have said BlackBerry can't compete with just one form factor, they need at least two, full touch and pkb. Is it enough to know there will be new ones every year? One of each, though the form factor for full touch will vary between full touch and slider and for pkb, Classic and Passport? BlackBerry hasn't had a hit with any one of these, so yes, what gets produced is in question. They probably don't even know. Would you want them to speculate, announce, and then change course on you? Or would solid info, like only announcing when product is going on sale, better?
    07-27-15 05:26 PM
    I think BlackBerry will always make a couple phones. But you need to make your company money, not try to compete in a market you're already getting killed in.

So if that means making less phones and becoming a software/security company, then go for it.

You're always going to be able to buy a BlackBerry, maybe not every 6 months, but they'll still put out a few new phones once in a while that the corporate/government customers are using. Buy those or jump ship.

If you are a regular consumer and want to switch from BlackBerry to iphone or android, Chen doesn't care at this moment in time he'd probably tell you to switch.

If you are a business owner, with 50 employees on BlackBerry and considered switching, you'd have his attention and he'd do whatever he needs to to keep you on board. That's his customer base, not the fanboy who posts to his youtube comparing the passport to the Samsung Galaxy.

Again, all the ridiculous complaining on the forums is very likely from people who do not own businesses or are in positions of management.

BlackBerry needs a straight shooter who makes money or cuts cost, that's it. Not someone who is emotionally attached to the past where BlackBerry used to dominate. Any business person would agree.
    07-27-15 05:36 PM
    BlackBerry needs a straight shooter who makes money or cuts cost, that's it. Not someone who is emotionally attached to the past where BlackBerry used to dominate. Any business person would agree.
    Chen is not a straight shooter. Bla1ze on the Upstream podcast even said that he is putting out a confusing message. Stock is down, device sales are down, and they are doing accounting tricks to inflate software revenues.

Posted via Z30
    07-27-15 05:59 PM
    Lol do you expect the majority of people in this site to care if Blackberry's shareholders are happy? I've never understood the sentiment that if Blackberry succeeds as a company even at the expense of handsets that people are supposed to root for that. If Blackberry stops making phones and suddenly becomes a powerhouse software company I couldn't care less. I have no interest in them outside of phones and don't care if they are profitable or not outside of that if that means they aren't making phones anymore.

Why would any consumer of their devices who isn't a shareholder root for a company that isn't supplying anything they need or want? Am I supposed to just cheer Chen on because he's the CEO of Blackberry? Not me, if they quit making phones then I couldn't care less if they succeed at anything or not. They can split the company up into pieces if phones aren't a part of the deal.
    kirson, Sal1982, AquaL3o and 18 others like this.
    07-27-15 06:30 PM
    I have no interest in them outside of phones and don't care if they are profitable or not outside of that if that means they aren't making phones anymore.
    You may have noticed there a *lot* of Canadians on this site. BlackBerry has been a point of pride for some (many?) Canadians because it is a major tech success born and raised in Canada. So I can totally see how some would want that to continue, even if they have to become a software company to do it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    07-27-15 07:12 PM
    I agree. But I wonder if he's not emotionally attached to his own past. He seems to be trying to make BlackBerry into a software company, which is not something they've been all that good at in their past.

He's been good at software in his own past of course.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-27-15 07:15 PM
    One of BlackBerry s problems was offering too many models at one time. Just as GM had too many lines.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 08:16 PM
    Like I said before, I believe BlackBerry will never stop making phones. I just think they need to stop making so many models.
    luc4625 likes this.
    07-27-15 08:28 PM
    Like I said before, I believe BlackBerry will never stop making phones. I just think they need to stop making so many models.
    People change their phones every two years or so. I'm one of those that uses their phone until it breaks so it might be even more time. It all depends on the build quality, specs don't matter much if you have a phone that can make everything that meets your needs with ease. A model per year is totally fine because they can concentrate on keeping the company a live, if thats what they want.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 08:39 PM
    Apple has religiously released one device per year and fanboys and girls still buy them even if they are all the same. We, as BlackBerry supporters, need to stop complaining and get over what's happening. If you don't like something then stop supporting them and get over it, just like you said.

Posted via CB10
    after iphone 5 , apple release 2 variant device every year 5S and 5C, then 6 and 6+ , they sell tens of millions phone (and keep increasing) with average selling price almost 3 times if you compare it with BB

apple aslo offer wide range of device not just iphone to pleased their fans and to help funding their R&D division ...they have ipad, ipod touch, apple watch, mac etc

i dont think BB can manage to pay for BB10 development just with 1 or 2 device a year....with focus on high end product BB asp maybe will get better but not as good as iphone asp, plus BB will eliminate developing market so the sales number will be worst....

so realy you cant compare apple with BB
    Last edited by garnok; 07-27-15 at 09:27 PM.
    extisis and MarsupilamiX like this.
    07-27-15 09:12 PM
    You may have noticed there a *lot* of Canadians on this site. BlackBerry has been a point of pride for some (many?) Canadians because it is a major tech success born and raised in Canada. So I can totally see how some would want that to continue, even if they have to become a software company to do it.
    Jumping in, I do understand the sentiment, but this doesn't address the concern of the other (non-Canadian) BlackBerry fans all over the world. "Many" of us buy BB devices not because it's Canadian, but because we like the product. So, if there are no more products to buy, there will not be much more to hang on to. So, personally, I will root (and hope) for a solution that serves all BlackBerry customers, whether Canadian or not!
    Jay Wright2 likes this.
    07-27-15 09:19 PM
    Seems many of Chen's decisions, like not focusing on hardware, won't make fans happy.

I find him very focused on making BlackBerry profitable and it looks like it might be at the expense of a few fans who won't let go of the past.

His obligations are to the shareholders, then the existing enterprise clientele, not the fanboys who want several devices a year.

You can't please everyone. I'm sure the business owners on the forums (myself included) can agree with a majority of Chen's decisions. Sometimes to keep a company afloat financially, you need to make tough decisions, unless you are aa business owner, you won't understand that.
    Chen's obligation to shareholders are falling short as well. Stock is at US$7.28 and no dividends. For shareholders to be happy, he needs to raise the share price to over $16 per share which is Prem's average purchase price in BBRY shares. Even at $16 it's still a failure as it's 0% gain on paper. Nobody invests in the stock market to break even as the opportunity costs investing in other stocks/sectors or businesses are too high.
    07-27-15 10:08 PM
    at this moment I don't think blackberry can afford to make and release several phones a year ,maybe in a few years when they making money .............which at the end of the day that's what any company is out to do so lets wait and see what happens
    07-28-15 12:44 AM
    What kind of info do you need? You know the next device will be a Slider, as that's what they've announced.
    Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think missing_K-W meant, that he has to know, what's the future OS of the phone is gonna be. So that he knows if it's a good idea to dig into BB10 Apps or move on to another mobile OS. At least this is the question I ask myself....
    missing_K-W and kbz1960 like this.
    07-28-15 02:33 AM
    at this moment I don't think blackberry can afford to make and release several phones a year ,maybe in a few years when they making money .............which at the end of the day that's what any company is out to do so lets wait and see what happens
    Didn't I read somewhere that still half of the cash flow is due to device sales? So it does not look as if they were dropping phones anytime soon.

(Again, tell me if I'm wrong)
    07-28-15 02:34 AM
    I agree with fewer offerings. More resources can be spent on a premier offering. BlackBerry needs to aim for disruptive technology. Set the bar high!

Posted via CB10
    Was the passport not disruptive? Nothing else like it out there?

Swiped on my beautiful Passport!
    neoberry99 likes this.
    07-28-15 03:03 AM
    Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think missing_K-W meant, that he has to know, what's the future OS of the phone is gonna be. So that he knows if it's a good idea to dig into BB10 Apps or move on to another mobile OS. At least this is the question I ask myself....
    There's no way BlackBerry could answer that definitively since they're not in a great position. They can't say BB10 for the next five years because they just don't know. They can't say Android for the next five years because they just don't know. They're still in the midst of figuring out something that will sustain them. If they announce something and switch gears, people are just going to be mad.
    07-28-15 03:24 AM
    Didn't I read somewhere that still half of the cash flow is due to device sales? So it does not look as if they were dropping phones anytime soon.

(Again, tell me if I'm wrong)
    Right, they can't just exit hardware tomorrow. A controlled scale down is what Chen is probably after, which means he still has motivation to produce some hardware... unless hardware is a huge drain on profits. High revenue numbers look good, but profit ultimately counts in the long run.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-28-15 03:27 AM
    Was the passport not disruptive? Nothing else like it out there?
    It might have been if it had been advertised enough and gained adoption... but as it is, it's not disruptive because people aren't moving from the norm, the slab form factor.
    07-28-15 03:28 AM
159 123 ...