He is collaborating with Boeing for the Boeing black smartphone.
    That will use bb10 security technology. I hope more such collaborations follow.
    Try to see the glass as half full.
    Like the other poster so positively drew the parallel of amputation.
    That article is from December 2014.
    Did anything come of it?
    You used the word "is", could be that "was" is more appropriate.
    08-26-16 12:18 PM
    Quite likely you are right.
    I wud rather wait for another year.

Maybe it will never reach the consumers, it will remain in the US defense circles.
    We can at least hope that with Android N, bb can give us 1/4th the security of the Boeing black.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by blackmass; 08-26-16 at 01:55 PM.
    08-26-16 01:44 PM
    Killing Blackberry? If by Killing Blackberry you mean restructuring so that the company is actually moving up and finally making money instead of after years of hemorhaging money under other management, then sure.
    Selling the tractor and the goats and the land is not actually a recipe for saving a farm.

Chen had the best hardware and clientele and really only needed to invest a million dollars in java devs to write a handful of necessary apps. That was all that was required to turn BlackBerry around.

Instead of fixing bugs and writing the apps his user base were begging for, he gave the best BB apps away to Android users for free, encouraged devs to STOP writing for BlackBerry, refused to support his user base, cancelled the OS, hacked his own world-renowned security (there was a reason every US president and celebrity had a BlackBerry) and now cancels handsets. What is left to call a success?

Chen is not stupid, he is an assassin. As FDR once said: "In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way."

Once you see Chen for a success, you see that his goal is to destroy BlackBerry. I have no idea as to his end-game plan.
    08-27-16 06:04 AM
    Selling the tractor and the goats and the land is not actually a recipe for saving a farm.

Chen had the best hardware and clientele and really only needed to invest a million dollars in java devs to write a handful of necessary apps. That was all that was required to turn BlackBerry around.

Instead of fixing bugs and writing the apps his user base were begging for, he gave the best BB apps away to Android users for free, encouraged devs to STOP writing for BlackBerry, refused to support his user base, cancelled the OS, hacked his own world-renowned security (there was a reason every US president and celebrity had a BlackBerry) and now cancels handsets. What is left to call a success?

Chen is not stupid, he is an assassin. As FDR once said: "In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way."

Once you see Chen for a success, you see that his goal is to destroy BlackBerry. I have no idea as to his end-game plan.
    You can't just code the missing apps. They belong to 3rd parties, and it would be illegal to do so. The big name apps chose very early on (pre-Chen) that they did not want to support more than two ecosystems.

By the summer of 2013, it was already over. The BlackBerry Board decided to put the for sale sign up. When no one was interested, Prem came along and helped set the company in motion away from hardware and towards software.

Chen was hired specifically to accomplish that goal. He needed to drag BB10 along long enough to ramp up the software portfolio. Now he has BES with Good Dynamics, WatchDox, AtHoc, SecureSmart, and the BlackBerry Suite for Android - plus IoT and QNX auto.

He has done exactly what he was hired to do.

BlackBerry Android is a last ditch effort to stay in the device game, as it gives them the ability to offer a complete end to end solution at a tiny fraction of the cost of a proprietary OS.

Let's look at the farm analogy. You have a dairy farm, but simply can't make a go of it because you are a small outfit neighbouring two giant farms with far greater economies of scale. However you realise you have an excellent, patented, milking machine. So, instead of going bankrupt, you get rid of the cows, and develop and sell the milking technology.
    Last edited by conite; 08-27-16 at 07:52 AM.
    08-27-16 07:40 AM
    You can't just code the missing apps. They belong to 3rd parties, and it would be illegal to do so. The big name apps chose very early on (pre-Chen) that they did not want to support more than two ecosystems. .
    Any chance - blackberry does a project islandwood like Microsoft to port iOs apps to bb10?

08-27-16 11:20 AM
    You can't just code the missing apps. They belong to 3rd parties, and it would be illegal to do so. The big name apps chose very early on (pre-Chen) that they did not want to support more than two ecosystems.
    In my experience (which includes porting many video game apps to other platforms) companies such as Netflix would want their product available on another platform. They won't INVEST in it... but BlackBerry could spend a very small amount to sign an agreement and then write the code.

Ditto Kindle... etc.

By the same token, BlackBerry COULD have chosen to repair bugs as well - but they chose against that as well.

Apologetics won't likely cut it. If BB had wanted to, they could have made it work.

After Balsillie and Lazaridis left - nobody cared about the user base or the product. They brought in "The Mercenaries" starting with Heins who's spectacular failure led to bringing in an even worse destroyer-of-users: Chen.

I think that many of the die-hards here believe that the product WAS awesome and could have continued to stay that way if only BlackBerry had remained true to their user base.

BlackBerry could STILL be turned around... if anyone at the "C-Level" of RIM cared about the product and their install base.
    stlabrat likes this.
    08-27-16 11:30 AM
    BlackBerry could STILL be turned around... if anyone at the "C-Level" of RIM cared about the product and their install base.
    I think BlackBerry is being turned around.
    If you mean BB10 could succeed, please explain how.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    08-27-16 11:34 AM
    In my experience (which includes porting many video game apps to other platforms) companies such as Netflix would want their product available on another platform. They won't INVEST in it... but BlackBerry could spend a very small amount to sign an agreement and then write the code.
    Nope. The Netflix Android app worked perfectly on BB10. All they had to do was take 5 minutes to port it to BlackBerry World (as is), and they didn't bother. BlackBerry offered free support and cash too - no luck. Ditto many other big name apps.
    CerveloJohn and stlabrat like this.
    08-27-16 11:38 AM
    Any chance - blackberry does a project islandwood like Microsoft to port iOs apps to bb10?

Why bother? There are only a handful of BB10 users left. The development cost per user would be insane.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    08-27-16 11:40 AM

Ditto Kindle... etc.
    Actually, BB made an offer to do just that for companies like Netflix, and they declined.

Which isn't surprising, since companies like Netflix, Amazon/Kindle, etc.. need to ensure that they are the only ones to code/develop the apps because outsourcing an app to a 3rd party is generally not a good idea when you have to monitor DRM compliance agreements (and in some cases those compliance agreements specifically state that they can only support apps built in-house). Not to mention that those apps would either lag behind future service developments, or those service changes would have to sit and wait for the other parties to catch up (ie.. change in DRM, new or deprecated features, changes to the private API's, etc..).

Perfect example is the FB app developed by BBRY. It would constantly break whenever FB makes changes. FB finally revoked API privileges because they didn't feel like expending their own resources or making compromises to keep the BB10 app working.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    08-27-16 12:16 PM
    I want Elon Musk to buy BlackBerry and then everything will be awesome and beautiful..

Posted via my beautiful awesome BlackBerry Dtek50
    08-28-16 05:25 AM
    Healthy is the last thing that would come to mind to describe BlackBerry 's state since the launch of android Priv. Maybe healthily dead...
    You must have missed out and not seen their state prior to release of the priv.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    08-29-16 05:30 AM
    I think BlackBerry is being turned around.
    If you mean BB10 could succeed, please explain how.
    Oh they just need to market it.... people will throw their iphones and googles into the dumpster and flock to this world-saving OS and finally be free of the burden of apps. People tell me all the time how they wish there were no apps and they could just use their phones for email, text, and phone calls.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    DrBoomBotz and MikeX74 like this.
    08-29-16 05:38 AM

Chen was not hired to save the farm. Chen was hired to move off the farm and into the city so they could be a software shop not an OS based phone company. Chen had to keep as much of the farm going to keep some revenue flowing to make the move possible. The big problem was the farm had no value, so they could not just sell it and use the proceeds to pay for the move. Thus Chen had to be creative to make the move work. As Conite has said, they had to drag the phone business along because of the existing investment had tied up BB's cash. Chen has been working on two main changes:1 - Change BlackBerry into a profitable software company that can generate lots of profits. 2- Transform the hardware business by lowering the costs, key are to not develop your own os - way to costly for a company the size of Blackberry and to not tie up tons of the cash (inventory and manufacturing).

Chen and the BOD have publicly stated this is Blackberry's strategy and future. I don't know why people keep not understanding their direction, or as you put it 'endgame'. Chen and Prem have always been vocal about moving BlackBerry to a software company. All of their acquisitions have been to build up BlackBerry's software revenue.

Also as Conite stated, when Chen took over at the end of 2013 the OS war was long over. BlackBerry lost by default, Spring of 2013 was about 4 years too late. The war was really over before Thor became CEO, his problem was being too much of an BB insider to realize the BB10 was too late. He then way overestimated demand - tying up tons of BB's cash (much of it written off) in inventory. Worse was releasing a buggy product. If BB10 1.0 had been a quality product they might have stabilized with around 3-5% of the market, but the issues caused high returns and lost the confidence of many BBOS customers (corporate and individuals). BlackBerry took well over a year to release solid BB10 with the 2.1 release. The reality is the Co-CEOs lost the war. Read "Losing the Signal" if you want to see why they lost the war. They completely misjudged the market, by the time they realized their mistake it was too late. It did not help that when they did realize their mistake they then distracted the BB10 team to launch a tablet that not only lost money, but cost the company valuable time in developing BB10.
    08-29-16 07:02 PM
    Imho Chen is doing a fantastic job. I see the shift in culture with BlackBerry and I believe it's in the right direction. It takes organic growth to change opinions and move forward.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-16 08:29 AM
215 ... 789