Very true. I support Blackberry but am disgusted by John's lack of direction.
    04-27-15 09:57 PM
    He seems like he could care less as to the failure or success of Blackberry. Remember, everyone, that he is entitled to cash in his stock options in a short while. Please don't attack me as trolling. The best thing to do is save your comments, my comments and see what Blackberry is like a year or two from now.
    04-27-15 09:59 PM
    Blackberry Chairman & CEO, John Chen, discusses why consumers should switch to Blackberry and what to expect from the company.

It's all about putting a consistent message out there.
    How can they switch. They haven't updated there all touch line. Nothing to switch to
    Buy qwerty 's.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 10:09 PM
    Tickerguy told me that in BlackBerry s code there is a stub, lack of a better word for me, that actually prevents BlackBerry phones from using Google play. Made it sound like the reason we can't use it came from BlackBerry, not Google as we all speculate.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 11:40 PM
    Tickerguy told me that in BlackBerry s code there is a stub, lack of a better word for me, that actually prevents BlackBerry phones from using Google play. Made it sound like the reason we can't use it came from BlackBerry, not Google as we all speculate.

Posted via CB10
    its technically possible yes, but its illegal hence why the stub is there
    04-27-15 11:47 PM
    He seems like he could care less as to the failure or success of Blackberry. Remember, everyone, that he is entitled to cash in his stock options in a short while. Please don't attack me as trolling. The best thing to do is save your comments, my comments and see what Blackberry is like a year or two from now.
    I don't know gregg. I'm not seeing that.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-27-15 11:54 PM
    I wasn't that put off by it.

There was a time we collectively groaned at BBRY over-promising. I understand the angst, but we really can't criticize him/BBRY for being a bit more circumspect with regards to managing expectations, can we?
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 04-28-15 at 12:29 AM.
    Henry Jr, TGR1 and LuvULongTime like this.
    04-28-15 12:17 AM
    Maybe Chen and his team does have something up their sleeves that could be an app game changer.

Why would Chen want to jeopardize the hard work that him and his team is working on by revealing it to the public too early. That would give the competition an advantage to strike before BlackBerry could release anything. Who knows there's lots of crazier things happening in the tech industry every day that we never expect. At least Chen is thinking outside the box.

Wow, shocking revelation there that there is a new generation of apps coming. I'm sure everyone thinks that apps won't evolve and get better with time, as they have done since day one. Tell me how BB is going to get developers to make the apps for BB10? That's the question that Chen doesn't have an answer for.
    Henry Jr likes this.
    04-28-15 12:24 AM
    I'm starting to wonder if BlackBerry has the resources to do such a thing.

It might be cheaper for them to adopt Windows Phone 10 or Tizen instead.
    I'm not sure if this was said in jest or not but it's definitely possible - At least in some form, anyway...

Tizen hasn't really established roots over here but it's still gaining traction from what I've read. And the Samsung / BlackBerry deal has yet to show much except for the secure tablet from Samsung and the curved screen on the Slider... It's quite believable that if Samsung steps out of the Android sphere, they would create a 'whole new generation of apps' based entirely on their powerful marketshare. Samsung could have the benefits of BlackBerry securing their phones and Samsung could start a new breed of app that would be truly 'platform agnostic' leaving those few phone manufacturers that would probably remain 'app dogmatic' (iPhone, Nexus) to stay in their little bubbles, and leave them far behind once IoT really starts to take shape.

"The future is about integration, not monopolization."
    -Me (unless someone wants to refute it)

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    04-28-15 12:59 AM
    I didn't see the interview that way. He seems fine to me.
    Actually he used to speak with conviction and really "sell" the brand. Now he seems a bit bashful.
    04-28-15 01:28 AM
    Once again BlackBerry's response:

We'll tell you more information.... Soon™

BlackBerry should change their logan to:

BlackBerry: Coming Soon™
    MarsupilamiX and jmr1015 like this.
    04-28-15 03:52 AM
    How can they switch. They haven't updated there all touch line. Nothing to switch to
    Buy qwerty 's.

Posted via CB10
    I was being ironic. The quoted CNBC tag line and Chen's remark about building the "next cool phone" made it sound as if the focus has always been on consumers.
    04-28-15 05:05 AM
    Maybe Chen and his team does have something up their sleeves that could be an app game changer.

Why would Chen want to jeopardize the hard work that him and his team is working on by revealing it to the public too early. That would give the competition an advantage to strike before BlackBerry could release anything. Who knows there's lots of crazier things happening in the tech industry every day that we never expect. At least Chen is thinking outside the box.
    I'm not sure how saying they are working on "some things" and that "there will be a new generation of apps" is outside of the box thinking. It's more like not having an answer and stating the obvious.
    04-28-15 06:44 AM
    I'm not sure how saying they are working on "some things" and that "there will be a new generation of apps" is outside of the box thinking. It's more like not having an answer and stating the obvious.
    One would hope they're working on some things. Lol
    04-28-15 07:22 AM
    if 'next gen apps' doesn't mean 'a whole series of apps with the invocation framework used up to the tits' I can't see how there is any competitive advantage for BlackBerry here: whatever happens on BlackBerry will also happen on other platforms.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    04-28-15 07:36 AM
    When are they ever going to say any more than big things are coming? Big things have been coming for years and someone else always beats them to the punch and do it better.
    MarsupilamiX, Magnetox and gebco like this.
    04-28-15 07:49 AM
    Blackberry Chairman & CEO, John Chen, discusses why consumers should switch to Blackberry and what to expect from the company.

It's all about putting a consistent message out there.
    And I guess we can agree he managed to do that time and time again. I gotta say, everytime I see him speak about how things are coming around, I get a morale boost... That is usually shut down by the bugs and mildly ******** things I'm constantly reporting to the dev teams...

When are they ever going to say any more than big things are coming? Big things have been coming for years and someone else always beats them to the punch and do it better.
    Long story short, BlackBerry still has issues executing, specially when it comes to the OS and core apps. We get it, development takes time, and they are not as big as FB for example (which now has a cross-platform video chat feature on FB Messenger).

But if I were Chen, I'd have done a SWOT matrix and probably have reached the same decision. Consolidate what you're good at, improve on what you can make better and ONLY THEN, attack the issues. It's more bang for buck and more cost effective.

He said new phones (not the slider) by Q4 15/Q1-2 16. That could be the point where they move to improve on what you can make better (the OS for one).
    04-28-15 08:18 AM
    Buy qwerty 's.
    Even if you are not too hot for qwerty's you can't disregard the Passport, pal.

That's being very shortsighted.
    04-28-15 08:26 AM
    I certainly hope the new generation of apps thing means platform agnostic apps. Developers should be making apps that not only worked on any mobile phone but maybe also on smartwatches, TVs and other smart platforms with plug-ins.
    You shouldn't buy a phone looking at what apps you can get, but what phone you liked and fitted your needs and hands. If you needed a certain app you should be able to just download it, no need to worry if it fits your phone brand.
    Devs could even make more money as their products would hit a bigger user base.
    I mean look at HTML. What fun we would have if certain parts of the Internet only worked on PCs and other parts only on Macs.
    Apps should be about providing a functionality to the user nomatter where he wants that functionality to be executed.
    I work in IT and I work daily with services. They provide a functionality nomatter where you call them from or from what platform. They don't care. Apps should conceptually work the same way.
    Just hope that's where we're going and that good old BlackBerry would be leading the way

ოო fяσм му мιgнту ραѕѕρσят ოო
    TCB on Z10, BroncoVAL and gvs1341 like this.
    04-28-15 08:27 AM
    There are really not too many "fix the app gap" options.

1. Make a deal with Google and get access to Google Play on BB10.
    2. Make an Android phone and join the OHA.

That's it.

Posted via CB10
    You should realize that even if Blackeberry had all the apps, people would still not buy their phones. WP has most apps and still few are buying
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    04-28-15 08:54 AM
    You should realize that even if Blackeberry had all the apps, people would still not buy their phones. WP has most apps and still few are buying
    I think if BB10 had more apps, it would definitely be better received.

WP has a major app issue too. I wouldn't say it has close to "most" apps. It's biggest advantage is that it's still pursuing native development as of now. IMHO, of course.
    04-28-15 09:05 AM
    I certainly hope the new generation of apps thing means platform agnostic apps. Developers should be making apps that not only worked on any mobile phone but maybe also on smartwatches, TVs and other smart platforms with plug-ins.
    Please excuse my ignorance here, but could he possibly mean making the OS app agnostic therefore paving the way for developers to make such app's available? Possibly throwing a little bit of money into the pot to make it happen as well?
    04-28-15 09:12 AM
    I was being ironic. The quoted CNBC tag line and Chen's remark about building the "next cool phone" made it sound as if the focus has always been on consumers.
    Which is exactly the reason some of us correctly noted that he's all over the board, and with no consistent message.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 09:14 AM
    You shouldn't buy a phone looking at what apps you can get, but what phone you liked and fitted your needs and hands. If you needed a certain app you should be able to just download it, no need to worry if it fits your phone brand.
    Devs could even make more money as their products would hit a bigger user base.
    I mean look at HTML. What fun we would have if certain parts of the Internet only worked on PCs and other parts only on Macs.
    Apps should be about providing a functionality to the user nomatter where he wants that functionality to be executed.
    I work in IT and I work daily with services. They provide a functionality nomatter where you call them from or from what platform. They don't care. Apps should conceptually work the same way.
    Just hope that's where we're going and that good old BlackBerry would be leading the way

ოო fяσм му мιgнту ραѕѕρσят ოო
    I don't think platform agnostic apps will be the thing. You give the example of web pages on PCs and Macs, but devs have had the option to do this for mobile devices for years in HTML5, and no real progress has been made.

Even in the more mature desktop/laptop market there are very few universal languages for application that work well everywhere (Java for example). There are a lot of applications that are windows only in the PC market.

Also BB has no way to force developers of popular apps to write for them HTML5 apps.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    04-28-15 09:23 AM
    Developers should be making apps that not only worked on any mobile phone but maybe also on smartwatches, TVs
    That's it! They're working on a BlackBerry TV. Beat Apple to it, lol
    04-28-15 09:36 AM
99 1234