I don't know where you are located, but here in the States the only,ONLY ad was the lame Super Bowl ad. That was it, and I don't even remember if that was for the Z10 or the new OS. Forget YouTube commercials, social media etc. That's a very limited demographic.
    You're forgetting the Keep Moving commercial. That one was played a ton, especially during the NCAA tourney. However that one suffered the same thing that the Bold's glowing bike commercial did - not enough phone exposure. They showed more people tumbling around and less of the newly designed phone.

Also, when the Z10 was released there were large kiosks at Best Buy and T-Mobile. I'm not sure about the other carriers since I don't shop there. Here's the one at Best Buy:

I also remember seeing BB10 commercials when using streaming media. I think it was when I was watching TV show episodes on either the CBS or NBC website. Unlike YouTube commercials, you can't skip those.
    TgeekB, kbz1960 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    08-30-15 11:22 AM
    You are partially correct but I disagree with your point about Android. Most customers just want just an all touch device and not a slider or a PKB. They really need the Classic, too wide Passport, Slider and a good all touch device running on a BlackBerry skinned Android. If these devices get positive reviews and carrier support the customer's will come. At least more customers than they have now.
    True, if you look at some of the newer articles, the authors are praising Android for BB but questioning the physical keyboard. They are also assuming Chen is going for consumers.
    Check this article
    BlackBerry Venice photo specs leak | BGR
    08-30-15 11:53 AM
    True, if you look at some of the newer articles, the authors are praising Android for BB but questioning the physical keyboard. They are also assuming Chen is going for consumers.
    Check this article
    BlackBerry Venice photo specs leak | BGR
    Well duh, it's BGR.
    08-30-15 12:11 PM
    I know, it's the general tone of most of the non BlackBerry articles, assuming BlackBerry is focused on pleasing the general public
    08-30-15 12:17 PM
    It varies country by country but one common denominator is that a PKB phone only appeals to a small niche and a phone that lacks one the two major app stores even a smaller niche. BlackBerry highlighted their relationship with Amazon but this was tantamount to false advertising. No amount of advertising will make the Classic a popular phone.

BlackBerry badly needs an all touch phone that is BlackBerry skinned Android capable .

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 12:31 PM
    Summary on QNX is UNIX... My understanding anyway.

QNX is POSIX which is a Unix-like OS from the 80's. However, internally BlackBerry arguably errantly refers to QNX as Unix, depending on who you ask...

Keep in mind they have revamped and reworked a lot of QNX since taking ownership. POSIX was open source at one point. And developers working on POSIX, early QNX and current QNX also contribute to other Unix open source platforms.

What this means is these days however, QNX inevitably carries some UNIX code and only BlackBerry knows where the line between the two still exists. So the terminology could be debated to quite some degree without the ability to any longer prove the statements one way or another.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven

POSIX
    - Portable Operating System Interface

POSIX (pronounced /ˈpɒzɪks/) or "Portable Operating System Interface [for Unix]"[1] is the name of a family of related standards specified by the IEEE to define the application programming interface (API), along with shell and utilities interfaces for software compatible with variants of the Unix operating system, although the standard can apply to any operating system.
    In other words a posix compliant OS implements a defined interface between the application layer and the OS layer by which applications and users can access the services provided by the OS. This interface is based on the original UNIX OS/Application layer interface. POSIX certification ensures that applications writen to the POSIX standard will compile and run as expected on the certified OS. POSIX certification does not mean the certified OS is in anyway even similar to UNIX. If that were true SCO would have prevailed in many of their lawsuits. POSIX certified, or complient OSs may appear to a cursory examination to be very much like UNIX, on deeper examination they are really quite different. QNX is probably the most different.

Interestingly enough while QNX Neutrino is POSIX certified Linux in general, and Android specifically have not be certified, though they are considered "mostly POSIX complient".
    08-30-15 03:23 PM
    POSIX certification does not mean the certified OS is in anyway even similar to UNIX. If that were true SCO would have prevailed in many of their lawsuits.
    Point of clarification, many of SCO's lawsuits were tossed out because they didn't own the USL (UNIX System License). Novell only licensed it to them - not sold as SCO had insisted.
    08-30-15 07:05 PM
    As stated in the beginning of the interview he is nursing a foot injury. For whatever reason he felt more comfortable in shorts. At least he didn't cancel.

Posted via CB10
    At least he wasn't shirtcocking.
    08-31-15 03:17 AM
    You're forgetting the Keep Moving commercial. That one was played a ton, especially during the NCAA tourney. However that one suffered the same thing that the Bold's glowing bike commercial did - not enough phone exposure. They showed more people tumbling around and less of the newly designed phone.

Also, when the Z10 was released there were large kiosks at Best Buy and T-Mobile. I'm not sure about the other carriers since I don't shop there. Here's the one at Best Buy:

http://i.imgur.com/lzdEnLk.jpg

I also remember seeing BB10 commercials when using streaming media. I think it was when I was watching TV show episodes on either the CBS or NBC website. Unlike YouTube commercials, you can't skip those.
    I vaguely remember the Keep Moving now that you mention it. I can't say I've seen it a ton. Maybe they only ran it on select channels. Agreed, the commercial didnt show much of the device at all!!! So, let's for the sake of it say, the commercial was a good one. Then the issue was saturation. I see iPhone commercials everyday on every channel, everyone knows what an iPhone is. From 9 year olds to 90 year olds but Apple still saturates the airwaves with commercials. Their marketing is top notch, I will give that to them!! They will beat you down when the new version comes out to let you know it's here, even though it's the same old device from 3 years ago. With BB, people still think about the Curve from 1996 and the slow internet, spinning wheel, etc because BB doesn't inform anyone of any new devices, in a meaningful way of course. They need to jam it down peoples throats.
    08-31-15 10:50 AM
    I vaguely remember the Keep Moving now that you mention it. I can't say I've seen it a ton. Maybe they only ran it on select channels. Agreed, the commercial didnt show much of the device at all!!! So, let's for the sake of it say, the commercial was a good one. Then the issue was saturation. I see iPhone commercials everyday on every channel, everyone knows what an iPhone is. From 9 year olds to 90 year olds but Apple still saturates the airwaves with commercials. Their marketing is top notch, I will give that to them!! They will beat you down when the new version comes out to let you know it's here, even though it's the same old device from 3 years ago. With BB, people still think about the Curve from 1996 and the slow internet, spinning wheel, etc because BB doesn't inform anyone of any new devices, in a meaningful way of course. They need to jam it down peoples throats.
    No BlackBerry didn't market on the level that Apple does.... but they can't afford to do that either.

Do they need more marketing..... YES!
    Do they need to waste money on marketing a product that doesn't come close to offering what consumers want from a mobile devices.... NO!

Depending on what they do with the BlackBerry Experience (if it doesn't impact performance too much), I hope that BlackBerry will once again do some marketing and carrier incentives. But if Chen plays it safe or if the Slider is still just a Enterprise play..... don't expect it to happen.
    08-31-15 11:09 AM
60 123