In an interview with John Chen, he is asked two questions about Android - watch below. 33:10 and 53:30.

The following video was already posted by aha, in this thread. I am reposting to talk about the confirmation of Android, and not the full interview. Mods, you can delete this if you feel it's a duplicate.

LazyEvul likes this.
    08-28-15 07:06 PM
    And? We all know what is coming.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 07:21 PM
    Maybe better to quote the videos at the time frame or cut the clips..? Just so folks don't have to deal with the video to discuss. But it might be a bit overkill

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    08-29-15 01:31 AM
    Terrible interview. The guy wearing shorts should not of. Chen was all over the road. He is proud of the Classic and Passport failures??? . I am truly worried now.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    08-29-15 03:49 AM
    It's interesting. But he really really went out of his way, using every method possible, to avoid actually saying "We're building an Android device". He confirmed that there's work being done with the Android runtime, and that they're working on a method to obtain Google Play. But he really put emphasis on the point that it's a very complex process. Which seems to me that they're banging their heads against the wall trying to come up with a way to meet Google's (and the OHA) requirements to obtain it, without committing to building a standalone Android device.
    08-29-15 05:27 AM
    Terrible interview. The guy wearing shorts should not of. Chen was all over the road. He is proud of the Classic and Passport failures??? . I am truly worried now.
    To be fair, he merely said that he's proud of those devices themselves, not how they sold. And why not? They are nice devices in and of themselves.
    08-29-15 05:29 AM
    As stated in the beginning of the interview he is nursing a foot injury. For whatever reason he felt more comfortable in shorts. At least he didn't cancel.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 05:32 AM
    As stated in the beginning of the interview he is nursing a foot injury. For whatever reason he felt more comfortable in shorts. At least he didn't cancel.

Posted via CB10
    Let him be human. Thanks! :-D

(think of those TV presenters in shorts, you just don't see it!)

�   Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...   �
    08-29-15 05:34 AM
    For those who don't have the time to watch, basically he said:

QNX is from Linux, Android is from Linux too. BB10 is based on QNX, so it's very easy for BlackBerry to provide an Android runtime app in BB10.

He is proud of Passport and Classic but they are not runaway successes. BlackBerry conducted customer interview to find what's missing in BlackBerry handsets and app is the number 1 weakness. Even with 2 apps store offerings BlackBerry is still not competitive in app front.

He wants everyone know he acknowledges that and is working hard to solve that. The only reason Google Services and Play store are not yet available, is because this is more complicated than everyone think it is. But he is working hard on it. He will explain why it's so hard in due time.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    08-29-15 12:30 PM
    It's interesting. But he really really went out of his way, using every method possible, to avoid actually saying "We're building an Android device". He confirmed that there's work being done with the Android runtime, and that they're working on a method to obtain Google Play. But he really put emphasis on the point that it's a very complex process. Which seems to me that they're banging their heads against the wall trying to come up with a way to meet Google's (and the OHA) requirements to obtain it, without committing to building a standalone Android device.
    At this point, it's pretty clear they are building an android device but he cannot come and say that until the licensing is final - partially because that could cause legal problems if he says "we are going to have an android phone" and it doesn't actually appear because they cannot agree with google.

The complex process is likely "we want to release an android phone but google told to GTFO until we remove that runtime so now we are against the clock because we've got this android slider on the blocks".

I'm guessing the compromise is going to be its unsupported and undeveloped on existing devices going forward and new devices don't have it at all.
    Last edited by cgk; 08-29-15 at 02:02 PM.
    08-29-15 12:34 PM
    For those who don't have the time to watch, basically he said...

Thank you

I'm on the road with very limited network

08-29-15 12:51 PM
    I find his assertion that QNX is based on Linux quite doubtful, unless they have a time machine.

I'm taking his "We have the most secure Linux" statement to not be QNX.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-29-15 03:20 PM
    I find his assertion that QNX is based on Linux quite doubtful, unless they have a time machine.

I'm taking his "We have the most secure Linux" statement to not be QNX.

Posted via CB10
    Do you mind elaborate? I was almost sure QNX is UNIX based system, not necessarily Linux..May you please share your deeper thoughts about that?

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 03:25 PM
    Skip to 33:10 and 53:30 if you want the Android talk.
    ptpete likes this.
    08-29-15 03:25 PM
    Do you mind elaborate? I was almost sure QNX is UNIX based system, not necessarily Linux..May you please share your deeper thoughts about that?

Posted via CB10
    actually he did say in the video that qnx was from linux, but i think he wanted to say unix as it doesnt make sense otherwise
    smart548 likes this.
    08-29-15 03:32 PM
    Summary on QNX is UNIX... My understanding anyway.

QNX is POSIX which is a Unix-like OS from the 80's. However, internally BlackBerry arguably errantly refers to QNX as Unix, depending on who you ask...

Keep in mind they have revamped and reworked a lot of QNX since taking ownership. POSIX was open source at one point. And developers working on POSIX, early QNX and current QNX also contribute to other Unix open source platforms.

What this means is these days however, QNX inevitably carries some UNIX code and only BlackBerry knows where the line between the two still exists. So the terminology could be debated to quite some degree without the ability to any longer prove the statements one way or another.

08-29-15 03:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    They're both Unix-likes, except the first QNX release is around eight years before the first Linux release.

On top of that, the fundamental kernel architecture is different between the two (monolithic vs microkernel).
    08-29-15 04:22 PM
    For those who don't have the time to watch, basically he said:

QNX is from Linux, Android is from Linux too. BB10 is based on QNX, so it's very easy for BlackBerry to provide an Android runtime app in BB10.

He is proud of Passport and Classic but they are not runaway successes. BlackBerry conducted customer interview to find what's missing in BlackBerry handsets and app is the number 1 weakness. Even with 2 apps store offerings BlackBerry is still not competitive in app front.

He wants everyone know he acknowledges that and is working hard to solve that. The only reason Google Services and Play store are not yet available, is because this is more complicated than everyone think it is. But he is working hard on it. He will explain why it's so hard in due time.

I don't understand how he would think they could be a runaway success without advertising AND not selling to the general public. Enterprise clientele will only provide so much especially in a time of BYOD. I know this is like beating a dead horse with BB, but how hard is it to understand marketing?? ( I know it can get in depth, but you all know what I mean)
    crackberry_geek and Bumppa like this.
    08-29-15 08:24 PM
    His first answer is really about their relationship with Android which is what was initially asked so he explains where the Android runtime came from. Then he seems to be trying to say that running an Android environment is nothing new for them. In other words, when the Android slider is announced he's going to act as if it's no big deal and nothing has changed.

In the answer to the second question, he says that the current phones were not runway successes because they don't have the apps and that the runtime is not competitive with Google Play and the iOS App Store. He's wanted it to be fixed already and it's not due to technical hurdles.

He also doesn't sound like he's going to be making an announcement next week because he said "in due time" which seems longer. Perhaps he is talking not just about the Android slider but negotiations to get Google Play for the other handesets.
    FunktasticLucky likes this.
    08-29-15 09:21 PM
    They say that QNX was adopted as the operating system for Unisys ICON (introduced in 1984), while Linux started brewing in 1991.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...A/SwRavCzVE7gJ.

OLD-COMPUTERS.COM : The Museum

Chen Confirms They Are Working on Android/Google Play [Interview]-iconiiia.jpg
    Chen Confirms They Are Working on Android/Google Play [Interview]-iconiiib.jpg
    08-29-15 09:42 PM
    the fundamental kernel architecture is different between the two (monolithic vs microkernel).
    A historical debate took place in early 1992 . . .

Appendix A - The Tanenbaum-Torvalds Debate

Code:
    Subject: Re: LINUX is obsolete
    Date: 5 Feb 92 23:33:23 GMT
    Organization: Fac. Wiskunde & Informatica, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Lawrence 
    C. Foard) writes:
    >Actually my main problem with OS theorists is that they have never tested
    >there ideas! 
    I'm mortally insulted.  I AM NOT A THEORIST.  Ask anybody who was at our
    department meeting yesterday (in joke).

Actually, these ideas have been very well tested in practice.  OSF is betting
    its whole business on a microkernel (Mach 3.0).  USL is betting its business
    on another one (Chorus).  Both of these run lots of software, and both have
    been extensively compared to monolithic systems.  Amoeba has been fully
    implemented and tested for a number of applications.  QNX is a microkernel
    based system, and someone just told me the installed base is 200,000 systems.
    Microkernels are not a pipe dream.  They represent proven technology.

The Mach guys wrote a paper called "UNIX as an application program."
    It was by Golub et al., in the Summer 1990 USENIX conference.  The Chorus
    people also have a technical report on microkernel performance, and I 
    coauthored another paper on the subject, which I mentioned yesterday
    (Dec. 1991 Computing Systems).  Check them out.

Andy Tanenbaum ([email protected])
    Jerry A likes this.
    08-29-15 09:56 PM
    I don't understand how he would think they could be a runaway success without advertising AND not selling to the general public. Enterprise clientele will only provide so much especially in a time of BYOD. I know this is like beating a dead horse with BB, but how hard is it to understand marketing?? ( I know it can get in depth, but you all know what I mean)
    It is clear that in North America and Europe that there are still plenty of legacy users still out there. They seem to be in the market for a cheap blackBerry that runs on a cheap plan. I was talking to two legacy owners today who really had no clue about the smartphone market. There might have been more direct marketing applied to this group. Unfortunately they seem to be mainly interested in a sub $200 Classic or Q10. Contrary to what posters tell us here, I think that there many current owners of legacy models that have very few apps and mainly use their device for e-mails and phone calls and a little bit of internet usage. They might be interested in a new Q10 (put it back in production) at zero down and maybe $ 7 to 8.00 a month on a two year plan for the phone. I do not think that legacy owners want to pay for a Classic and certainly not a Passport.
    08-29-15 09:58 PM
    Advertising is not the the main problem. We like to say it is on CB, but it really isn't.

Not saying it couldn't help, but when Chen says app availability is the top issue, he's on point.
    08-29-15 10:12 PM
    I am still trying to figure out what wearing shorts has to do with a sore foot

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    08-29-15 10:26 PM
    @KermEd POSIX isn't an OS, it's a set of standards (and optional certification) for UNIX-like compliance.

And yes, QNX is fully POSIX certified.
    08-29-15 10:43 PM
60 123