I searched and really couldn't find anything so i'll ask here.

My gf is going to bulgaria for about 3 weeks and she is going to be bringing her blackberry with her. Has anyone had an experience using a blackberry in Europe?

Im really just trying to find the cheapest route possible for her to call me and sms me. Also, if we just used BBM instead of text, would that be cheaper?

I looked at VZWs plans on their website and they wanted 2.49 a min. Some of the global sim cards I looked at didnt look too pricey, but I figured I would check here before I ordered to see if anyone knew of a better plan.

Thanks.
    08-14-09 11:16 AM
    When I go to China I just get a local SIM card and anyone that wants to call just calls. If I need to talk to someone, I text them and they call.

I imagine that would work in Europe as well.
    08-14-09 12:32 PM
    Agreed with Radius. I travel frequently to Europe for work. I buy a local SIM card (any grocery store and machines in Heathrow, for example) for about $15. Gives me lots of minutes with which I can SMS. For calls back to the use, I use Skype. All Skype calls back to the US are no charge.
    08-14-09 01:14 PM
    I assume that if she were to use a sim card from bulgaria, that if she would sms me, it would deduct from the minutes?
    08-14-09 01:29 PM
    i think verizon has a international data plan.

BBMing overseas seems the way to go to be comunicated.
    08-15-09 12:17 AM
    I assume that if she were to use a sim card from bulgaria, that if she would sms me, it would deduct from the minutes?
    You are correct.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 09:15 AM
    Careful sending SMS overseas. There is an additional charge for intl SMS usually.
    08-15-09 09:18 AM
    I'm in agreement with the prior posters, just make sure your BB is unlocked and grab a local SIM card. That would be your cheapest option.
    08-15-09 09:22 AM
    Hi

in addition to other posts, get a local pay as you sim card with BB service and then you will also get your emails as well as txt/ voice.

The remarkale thing about BB's is that all your email settings (BIS) remain the same.

I do this when I take my BB from the UK to Nigeria (West Africa).
    Must be GSM provider though
    08-15-09 09:47 AM
    My friend who back to Thailand for the summer, bought a local SIM but her local phone provider had a BB service for her pay-as-you-go SIM (she had to a pay a very small fee each day to receive the normal BB services).

But then again, each country varies with it's services of course.

And never use roaming because I was charged �128 for about 3-weeks ish, using BBM lol.
    08-15-09 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD