I'm planning an alpine crossing from North to South (Germany, Austria , South Tyrol) for the next summer, about 17...19 days.

One problem a hiker has is that there's no electric power, even in the alpine huts. Oftenly they have only a solar panel on the roof and this is not for public use. There are mostly no sockets at all, and when you find one it's dead. I guess this situation will not everyday be the case, but two, three, four days consecutively, this can happen.

After discussing a lot with myself about what I need and what I don't need I want to take two devices with me: my Z30 (mainly for taking pictures and for emergency calls) and my Suunto Ambit sports watch (for getting altitude and also for recording the GPS data of the route). My Z30 lasts 3.5 days in most limited use, my Ambit lasts about 3 days in this mode, then it's over.

What I need is an independent charging source. I tend to solar power. Has anyone experiences charging a BB with a mobile solar panel in high mountains? Does this work? How long does it take? What model? Or would a solid power bank be the better choice? Any ideas?
    01-17-16 07:49 AM
    a power bank or several of them is a no-brainer. Unless you don't want to use your phones.... i wouldn't rely on solar charging in any form if you want a phone for emergency calls. Grab several cheap power banks and charge them all before you go.
    01-17-16 08:04 AM
    Not sure how practical it is but here is an alternative.
    POWERPOT 5 - Portable Thermoelectric Generator - Power Practical
    01-17-16 11:33 AM
    We have a portable solar power bank. Problem is when you're hiking, you'd have to strap it to your backpack so it's exposed. And they take a long time to charge (edit: even here in sunny north Queensland).

Loading up with power banks might not be an option, these are heavy if you carry more than a few. See how you go. :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    01-17-16 03:26 PM
    Cool thing But we won't cook this time.
    01-18-16 12:12 AM
    We have a portable solar power bank. Problem is when you're hiking, you'd have to strap it to your backpack so it's exposed. And they take a long time to charge
    The needed time is a function of the surface expanse and the efficiency factor. And the surface is always limited, especially while moving.

Found this one, but 83 US-$
    01-18-16 12:20 AM
    Cool thing But we won't cook this time.
    Oh well.
    Sounds like an wonderful trip.
    Could you post some pics when you get back please.
    I for one would love to see them.
    01-18-16 05:47 AM
    Sounds like an wonderful trip.
    Planning this for months. This is not easy, especially making stages you can walk without getting into exhaustion. More than 20km will be difficult in the mountains. Multiple times we get above 3000m. I will also visit the place where the ice man �tzi was found in 1991.
    Could you post some pics when you get back please. I for one would love to see them.
    Will see. I found my Z30 always a great help because it's much smaller than a mirror reflex camera and not so heavy. And if you're hiking the focus is always more on documentation than on taking poster quality pictures. I took some nice pictures with the tiny lense of my Z30 in the mountains, like this one:
    Charging without mains supply - ideas?-dscn4229.jpg
    (the rest of the) Upper Grindelwald Glacier, Switzerland, last year
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-18-16 06:29 AM