I just came across a new energy efficiency rating system that the top 5 cell phone manufactures have come up with to rate their chargers. Apparently 2/3 of the energy used by consumers for their cell phones actually occurs when the phone is charging in but the charger is left plug in to the wall. This no-load consumption is where most of the energy use comes from.

According to this new rating system, anything under 0.03W gets a 5 star rating (very efficient). So I was just wondering if anyone new what kind of no-load consumption Blackberry chargers draw. Might be a good idea for RIM to comply with the big manufacturers on this.
    12-07-08 01:49 PM
    I have absolutely no idea...
    12-07-08 01:51 PM

I'm sure the energy rating for a typical BB charger is going to be very small.
    12-07-08 02:19 PM
    Well now you've made me think. It couldn't be too bad.
    12-07-08 02:22 PM
    Well now you've made me think. It couldn't be too bad.
    Like i said before, i know the OEM cradle charger stops charging when the battery is full, so i'm assuming it would be minimal after that...
    12-07-08 02:26 PM
    Right, I know it stops charging when the battery is full, but what about when you leave the charger plugged into the wall without the phone attached? It draws some kind of power, just not sure how much.
    12-07-08 02:40 PM
    I just take the charger out of the wall. They do draw power. So pull it out and no worries.
    12-07-08 02:42 PM
    I just take the charger out of the wall. They do draw power. So pull it out and no worries.
    Hahaha, "open and shut case Johnson, i saw this once when i was a rookie" hehe...
    12-07-08 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD