Hi there guys/girls,

I'm very very confused on how BIS is linked to the device PINs, and now with BB ID. I am currently living and travelling around Singapore, Australia, Indonesia for work.

I have BIS all enabled via pre-paid options in all three different carrier/country sim cards. I've read hundreds of threads where people have to get the carrier to release PINs before you change SIM cards as only 1 BIS per account, i've also read somewhere that BIS servers are upgraded now and there is no need to release PINs anymore from carriers. I've never had to release pins in the past when i had my BB 8900, however I recently got the 9790 and not sure if things have changed as I haven't used a BB in a little more than 2 years.

Could anyone shed any light and give confirmations on what i need to do before changing sims? In the past when i changed SIM it connected to BIS fine but i had to set up the emails everytime I changed sim cards.

One thing to note, the Singapore/Indonesian Sim cards I usually only activate the BIS once i land there.

Thanks in advance!
    02-01-12 03:53 AM
    I regulary travel between the UK and Nigeria, I use a contract BB in the UK and prepay BB service in Nigeria. 2 years ago I would simply 'roam' my BB account in Nigeria, the first time I did I was hit with a massive bill, subsequently I had a bolt-on from my UK provider that enabled me cap all BB roaming charges to �20 (bout $33) a month.

But for the past year this option has been removed and to answer your question; when I arrive Nigeria and simply insert my prepay Nigerian sim and my BB data plan works immediately (provided I have paid), I have to revalidate my emails BUT BBM works fine, seemlessly, my contacts on BBM have no idea whether am in Nigeria, UK or for that matter Indonesia. When I return to UK, I re-insert my UK sim and my BBM works immediately, all I have to d is revalidate my emails again.

So as long as your BB data ( I am referring the BIS here) is uptodate there is no issue with the PIN.

hope this helps.
    02-01-12 11:48 AM
    On the BlackBerry 7 phones, when you change sim cards, you need to log back into your BlackberryID. Make sure you have your BBID login info, or the phone will security wipe when you put in another card and not have the login info for BlackBerryID.

The rest probably still works as described by Ozoro.
    02-01-12 11:57 AM
    robsteve is right, and I think this thing happens only with OS7 devices..
    02-01-12 12:04 PM
    On the BlackBerry 7 phones, when you change sim cards, you need to log back into your BlackberryID. Make sure you have your BBID login info, or the phone will security wipe when you put in another card and not have the login info for BlackBerryID.

The rest probably still works as described by Ozoro.
    I have this pain every time I go to Belize (9-10 times per year) I have to switch to my Digicell sim. No problem putting in my BB ID and PW, but I have no GSM connection once I remove my Telus sim. So I have to turn on WiFI before I remove my Telus sim then switch sims and find a hotspot to complete the switch. Problem is finding a WiFi hotspot, I usually don't and have to wait until I get to my house and use my home Satellite internet. I can find no way around this, in Belize. Never had this issue with my Storm 2.
    02-01-12 01:18 PM
    I see. So the threads that say we have to release our PIN from the carrier before we change SIM cards? That day is long gone now i can assume? As that was the issue i was concerned with, ie. Arrive in another country, BB PIN is locked to x carrier and have to call that carrier internationally to release PIN from their server.

So is is safe to make the assumption that where ever i go, i can swap sim cards freely considering i log in to my BB ID and revalidate my email accounts, without having to call any carrier to release PINs from their end?
    02-01-12 06:54 PM
    I see. So the threads that say we have to release our PIN from the carrier before we change SIM cards? That day is long gone now i can assume? As that was the issue i was concerned with, ie. Arrive in another country, BB PIN is locked to x carrier and have to call that carrier internationally to release PIN from their server.

So is is safe to make the assumption that where ever i go, i can swap sim cards freely considering i log in to my BB ID and revalidate my email accounts, without having to call any carrier to release PINs from their end?
    its not impossible if you buy a carrier BB, it could be locked to the network
    02-02-12 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD