Hello!

I'm not sure how many carriers have gone through with this, but I know for certain that Rogers, in the early fall or summer, has changed their contract terms from 3 years to 2 years. Now, at first, that made me excited. I LOVE my Q10, but I am a phone junkie and love to upgrade early or fiddle with other devices. But I do have a question/problem: I bought this phone in May, therefore upgrading and renewing my contract then. The 2-year switch hadn't occurred yet. Does this mean I still have a 3-year contract, or is it just two now? A Rogers sales rep was in the same boat as me, and he didn't know the answer to this question, either.

Thanks in advance!

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 12:16 PM
    The terms of the contract you signed prior to the rule changes stand. Your contract is three years.
    12-09-13 12:31 PM
    that brings up another question, now that rogers offers the upgrade anytime as long as you pay off your device balance deal, does that mean your contract is done if you pay off your balance??

this is a question i have had for a while.
    12-09-13 12:34 PM
    that brings up another question, now that rogers offers the upgrade anytime as long as you pay off your device balance deal, does that mean your contract is done if you pay off your balance??

That is very disappointing! Although I don't like the concept of having one less year to pay off a device. Yes! If you pay off your device in its entirety, you activate a new contract. I upgraded early to my Q10 so I terminated my contract about a year early and started my new contract in May.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 03:32 PM
    The government has no right to retroactively void the terms of contracts that were signed prior to the new regulations. That's a whole can of worms.
    12-09-13 03:35 PM

OK. So the upgrade policy changed before the contract lengths.
    When I bought my z10 in Feb, they took the total value of the phone, subtracted what I paid for it, then divided the remainder by 36.
    That value is what I pay for every month remaining in my contract if I leave, or want to upgrade devices.
    So basically, the cost of your device minus what you've paid is your early upgrade fee AND your early cancellation fee.
    And contracts entered before they switched to two years stay as they were.
    Hope this helps.
    12-09-13 03:39 PM
    OK. So the upgrade policy changed before the contract lengths.
    When I bought my z10 in Feb, they took the total value of the phone, subtracted what I paid for it, then divided the remainder by 36.
    That value is what I pay for every month remaining in my contract if I leave, or want to upgrade devices.
    So basically, the cost of your device minus what you've paid is your early upgrade fee AND your early cancellation fee.
    And contracts entered before they switched to two years stay as they were.
    Hope this helps.
    So my phone contract is still three years, minus what I have already paid, divided by 36? Hmmm.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 05:20 PM
    So my phone contract is still three years, minus what I have already paid, divided by 36? Hmmm.

Posted via CB10
    Read your contract to get the details, it depends on when the contract was signed. Its like going to a car forum and asking someone what the terms of your lease are.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 05:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sure.
    12-09-13 07:01 PM
    I was merely asking if that was true, per the example the user had mentioned. Obviously you can't tell me for sure.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 08:07 PM
    I don't know what you signed. I can only tell you what they were around Feb, which I signed.
    Whatever you agreed to hasn't changed unless you've been otherwise notified.

I don't know why you spent so much time on here when you can just call rogers. It's a free call.
    12-09-13 08:51 PM
    Hey hey, easy! I was only expecting a quick answer from someone who already asked Rogers the same question. All I wanted to know was if the contract was still 3-years or not. And I had already asked a sales rep, who didn't have the answer either. I'd rather spend time on here than on hold with Rogers for thirty minutes.

Anyways, thanks for answering my threads!

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 10:04 PM
    The biggest difference with the two year contracts is that they upped the minimum monthly bill from $50 to $70.

Before the change you could have a three year contract and have a minimum bill of $50 plus tax. Now with two year contracts you have to have a minimum of $70 plus tax. The exception to this is the iPhone, they require $75 plus tax. I'm with Telus and I assume Rogers and Bell are the same.

In my situation, I paid $150 for my white Telus Z10 in early March , signed a three year and currently have 27 months remaining and a device subsidy balance of $375. So if I want to get out of my contract I have to pay $375.

Z10 10.2.1.1055
    12-09-13 10:14 PM
    The biggest difference with the two year contracts is that they upped the minimum monthly bill from $50 to $70.

Before the change you could have a three year contract and have a minimum bill of $50 plus tax. Now with two year contracts you have to have a minimum of $70 plus tax. The exception to this is the iPhone, they require $75 plus tax. I'm with Telus and I assume Rogers and Bell are the same.

In my situation, I paid $150 for my white Telus Z10 in early March , signed a three year and currently have 27 months remaining and a device subsidy balance of $375. So if I want to get out of my contract I have to pay $375.

Z10 10.2.1.1055
    It is slightly disappointing that our contracts stay up for three years now, but I was also thinking about how my monthly rates would have increased had my contract been changed (i.e. Had I upgraded in August). Besides, this extra time will aid me in deciding which phone to upgrade to in the future. Do you like your Z10? Sometimes I wish I opted for full-touch and ventured out, but I really like my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD