hey guys what do you think the chances of blackberry getting an instagram app for the current devices are?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    08-04-12 08:14 AM
    I would almost think if it hasn't happened for the current lineup then that ship has sailed.
    I would also like to think that there is some interest in developing it for BB10.
    We will have to wait and see
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 08-04-12 at 04:48 PM.
    08-04-12 08:24 AM
    Now that Facebook owns Instagram? I figure a bit higher now but who knows. . .
    08-04-12 08:30 AM
    No one is really developing apps for blackberry or porting and its very upsetting...chances are slim but like said above bb10 might bring a ton more apps *crossing fingers*
    08-04-12 04:13 PM
    Blackberry announced its own version of instagram for blackberry 10 phones, so i imagine instagram is not coming.
    08-04-12 06:15 PM
    From Instagram's FAQ:
    When are you going to make the app for Blackberry, Windows Phone 7, iPad, etc?

We are currently working on making the iPhone and Android experiences as solid as possible. Only then will we consider other platforms, but currently we have nothing to announce.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-04-12 06:30 PM
    I doubt they'll make one for current devices but when BB10 hits I'm sure they might make one.
    Tons of developers are saying its been very easy to code apps for the BB10 platform so hopefully that will inspire instagram developers to make one.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    08-04-12 06:50 PM
    Just curious, was that dated?
    08-04-12 06:54 PM
    I suspect instagram will be made into an HTML5 app as devices allow HTML5 to access the camera API's once it is made into an HTML5 app so it can work ON FaceBook website and inside FaceBook Apps plus as it's stand alone self we'll see it on BB10 and as an extension due to HTML5 it will be back on BB7,6.

but that transition I'm sure will take until after BB10 launches
    08-04-12 07:02 PM
    Just curious, was that dated?
    No. The only date is �2012 at the bottom of the page.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-04-12 07:23 PM
    No. The only date is �2012 at the bottom of the page.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    OK. I remember reading that but couldn't recall (yeah, surprising, I know ) how recent it was.
    08-04-12 07:45 PM
    I suspect instagram will be made into an HTML5 app as devices allow HTML5 to access the camera API's once it is made into an HTML5 app so it can work ON FaceBook website and inside FaceBook Apps plus as it's stand alone self we'll see it on BB10 and as an extension due to HTML5 it will be back on BB7,6.

but that transition I'm sure will take until after BB10 launches
    What makes you "suspect" this? How would you implement the filters in HTML/JS? And how slow would those be?

The camera isn't the issue. Those guys didn't port to Android until native code became available on Android, which enabled them to port the filters and have a similar experience to iPhone. (This is also why it won't work on the PB android player)

Instragram could work on WP8 and/or BB10 if either of those platforms become popular enough for that team to fund the effort.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 08-04-12 at 08:11 PM.
    08-04-12 08:08 PM
    Theres something called "Instaphoto"...

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-04-12 08:14 PM
    What makes you "suspect" this? How would you implement the filters in HTML/JS? And how slow would those be?

The camera isn't the issue. Those guys didn't port to Android until native code became available on Android, which enabled them to port the filters and have a similar experience to iPhone. (This is also why it won't work on the PB android player)
    I suspect this because of the facebook acquisition,
    When they were their own company they had the luxury of doing things their way, but Facebook is used by desktop users who upload pictures from digital cameras as well as users uploading form devices, creating filters/over lays using web technology would be a direction I'd be looking at to monetize my acquisition of Instagram, HTML 5 front ends and then native camera code is doable in BB10, I suspect it would be doable in other OS's moving forward if it isn't already.
    08-04-12 08:14 PM
    I suspect this because of the facebook acquisition,
    When they were their own company they had the luxury of doing things their way, but Facebook is used by desktop users who upload pictures from digital cameras as well as users uploading form devices, creating filters/over lays using web technology would be a direction I'd be looking at to monetize my acquisition of Instagram, HTML 5 front ends and then native camera code is doable in BB10, I suspect it would be doable in other OS's moving forward if it isn't already.
    So Facebook has magically made JavaScript fast and efficient enough to implement photo filters that work as well as the ones Instagram uses now? They couldn't even make it work well enough the first time around in objective-C! Both the android and iPhone apps use C++ for this. Even dalvik wasn't fast enough to make it a smooth experience.

Do you really think all things can be done in JavaScript? Is there an app in your mind that can't be done with this cool new magic bullet called HTML?
    08-04-12 08:19 PM
    BTW, I'm not suggesting that html5 isn't useful. There are thousands of apps, including two enterprise apps we're working on right now, that are perfectly acceptable in HTML5. And I get that it allows you to hire *much* cheaper developers who are much easier to find right now. That's very cool, and practically a necessity as the cost of good objective-c and C++ developers has gone through the roof if you can manage to catch them at all.

But I think sometimes people lose perspective in the hype and forget that there is a reason so much code in the world is still written in more efficient languages, especially on battery powered devices. Instagram is definitely a case in point.

This is the reason RIM is investing so much time into getting cascades right. Without a proper, complete native SDK, BB10 won't get the hot new apps of 2013 and beyond. Having a nice HTML5 browser isn't going to be enough, and RIM understands that.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 08-04-12 at 08:41 PM.
    08-04-12 08:34 PM
    So Facebook has magically made JavaScript fast and efficient enough to implement photo filters that work as well as the ones Instagram uses now? They couldn't even make it work well enough the first time around in objective-C! Both the android and iPhone apps use C++ for this. Even dalvik wasn't fast enough to make it a smooth experience.

Do you really think all things can be done in JavaScript? Is there an app in your mind that can't be done with this cool new magic bullet called HTML?
    I don't believe that C++ code will go away, but it can be called via HTML5 so your front end, your load page, and your interactions can be done with HTML5 which as you point out is cheaper and easier to develop in, then they just make the calls to the C++ components to do the actual filters.

They'll have to write the C++ code to do the filters specifically, but the rest of the app can be done via HTML, and also some server side filtering could be applied after an upload to make the device more universal it wont be as clean as the current app, but it will be available to more platforms and devices which is what facebook needs to monetize Instagram,
    08-04-12 09:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD