This morning, I tweeted about BB10. We have a small gathering at my city to see and taste the BB10 OS by using BB10AD. Then suddenly, one of my friend at facebook give a challenge to BB10 OS, whether BB10 can be installed in Notebook or PC. I said that possibly it can, since BB10 built based on QNX Platform. Although I still doubt about it. Can anyone answer this?
    10-31-12 09:45 PM
    The simulator runs in VMware...
    10-31-12 09:58 PM
    The simulator runs in VMware...
    Means that BB10 OS is not installed at the base of PC/Notebook Platform, right?
    10-31-12 10:14 PM
    It means that BB10 *should* install and boot from a PC, since VMWare is just an emulation of a PC. You're not going to get anything more than what you get with the simulator (since the apps on a real device are for ARM machines, and the PC is x86). But yeah, burn the simulator ISO to disc, and boot from it. The simulator install will very happily format your HDD and overwrite the OS on the PC.
    10-31-12 10:23 PM
    It means that BB10 *should* install and boot from a PC, since VMWare is just an emulation of a PC. You're not going to get anything more than what you get with the simulator (since the apps on a real device are for ARM machines, and the PC is x86). But yeah, burn the simulator ISO to disc, and boot from it. The simulator install will very happily format your HDD and overwrite the OS on the PC.
    So, it means that there is no way to get BB10 or QNX installed on X86 architecture, Right?
    10-31-12 11:06 PM
    You can't install BB10 on a notebook or PC. You can't do that with any mobile OS.... So this "challenge" your friend has put out there is ridiculous...
    10-31-12 11:09 PM
    You can't install BB10 on a notebook or PC. You can't do that with any mobile OS.... So this "challenge" your friend has put out there is ridiculous...
    I don't know why he put this "challenge". Perhaps, because WP 8 is a multiplatform OS. He is in fall in love with it right now.
    10-31-12 11:21 PM
    I don't know why he put this "challenge". Perhaps, because WP 8 is a multiplatform OS. He is in fall in love with it right now.
    "multiplatform" in what sense?? Having a lot of trouble figuring out what you guys are thinking.....
    11-01-12 12:56 AM
    I challenge your friend to pat his head and rub his tummy while doing a handstand
    11-01-12 09:13 AM
    OP,
    You friend is confusing Windows 8 with WP8.
    Tell him that Windows Phone 8 can't be loaded on x86 architecture.
    11-01-12 09:15 AM
    "multiplatform" in what sense?? Having a lot of trouble figuring out what you guys are thinking.....
    I think his friend is confused. He assumes that because the face of the platforms is similar, that they are the same, and doesn't realize that the Windows pc and Windows mobile platforms use 2 different OS's.
    richardat likes this.
    11-01-12 09:40 AM
    He's not right but there is a bit of what his friend wants available with Windows 8. Windows RT, and WP8 all share the same kernel which allows for quite a bit of integration between devices, and there are numerous PC laptops with detachable tablets either already out or only a few weeks away that are running full Windows 8. His friend can't fault BB10 for that though because right now, MS is the only one who's managed to put a full desktop OS onto a tablet. I expect that to change, and Apple will create a touchscreen friendly MacOS. I think RIM and Android for a good long while will be forced to be content with only running mobile OS's because they're simply much too far away from releasing a full OS that the general public would even consider over Windows or MacOS
    aragone79 likes this.
    11-03-12 02:34 PM