Mickbadal ...

Have you looked at Plaxo? I think users can selectively sync contacts. Includes calendar, as well.

I'm not pushing Plaxo (never used it) - I'm just wondering if this may be a possible fix.

Also, if there are shared corporate contacts, is it necessary to have "X", "Y" and "Z"? Can you not funnel the shared contacts to each, update them when necessary, and simply have Y and Z?
    01-26-09 11:04 PM
    Thanks for this reply. It appears that it has the features, but unfortunately it puts me back in the exchange server world, which if I read the pricing right on that site, for the 2 BB users (and a 3rd user we have using email), it would be $45/month or around $450-500/yr. I didn't want to put out that extra cost; hence my original email asking if these requirements can be pulled off without an exchange server.

I'm starting to accept the fact that I may have to go this route. But I'm so close...I think the calendar stuff is solved based on info provided in a previous post (Google shared & personal calendars). It's just the contacts I have to figure out. Gosh, I keep thinking there has to be a way to do shared & personal contacts...

Is there some way to have the BB split up the contacts (possibly using a category setting or some kind of different "buckets"), so that one bucket syncs back-and-forth with google, and the other with something else (like Yahoo or Outlook desktop)?
    To be perfectly honest with you I missed to no money part. Sorry about that. You do have quite an idea going here though. I know there are filters yu can set up on each device. Personal and business. So you might be able to go the route your thinking with the calenders and just have to tinker with the contacts. Sorry I cant e of more help
    01-26-09 11:30 PM
    Mickbadal ...

Have you looked at Plaxo? I think users can selectively sync contacts. Includes calendar, as well.

I'm not pushing Plaxo (never used it) - I'm just wondering if this may be a possible fix.
    Yeah I've looked at Plaxo a bit, didn't catch how it would satisfy my requirements at first, but I'll take another look at it, perhaps I missed something. Did you see somewhere in Plaxo where it will sync to Blackberry's, and allow selective sync of contacts?

Also, if there are shared corporate contacts, is it necessary to have "X", "Y" and "Z"? Can you not funnel the shared contacts to each, update them when necessary, and simply have Y and Z?
    Yeah, I've thought of that, and it just feels painful to have to manually update the shared business contacts every week. Wish I could think of a way to easily do this, without a nasty export/import from CSV files and such.
    Last edited by mickbadal; 01-26-09 at 11:42 PM.
    01-26-09 11:39 PM
    Did you see somewhere in Plaxo where it will sync to Blackberry's, and allow selective sync of contacts?
    Yes. Can't tell you exactly where, but I am almost positive it was on their website. May have been their "Plaxo Mobile Plus" page ... or something similar. Search on "Plaxo selective sync" and see if it comes up. If I see it again, I'll post it for you.

Still thinking about this ... if I find something I'll let you know.

Well ... I'm wrong. I don't know if their mobile tool / app is ready for BB. Looking for your link on selective sync, I found a message for "not ready for your device" message about BB 8800.

But ... see this forum link and the response ... for what it's worth at this point.

Selective synchronization with Outlook - Plaxo Forums

Sorry for the goose chase.
    Last edited by taddley; 01-27-09 at 12:19 AM.
    01-27-09 12:01 AM
    Thanks Taddley for checking Plaxo, and for everyone else for your feedback.

I'm about to run the risk of suffering the wrath of all the blackberry faithful out there....but I have decided to go with iPhones. Before you start swinging, hear me out. I stopped in at the apple store today, and amazingly in 3 minutes they solved what I have been unsuccessfully trying to solve for an entire week. They showed me how 2 iPhones + mobileme will satisfy all my requirements (any combination of shared/personal calendar & contacts groupings that we want on the iPhones, along with nice web interface to it all), all for a very low $10 a month for mobileme.

Considering their phone/voice/data service price was $20 lower per month than the comparible verizon plan, it made up the extra cost for mobileme! So essentially I met my requirement of doing all this for no extra monthly cost. (in fact the iphone plan edged out verizon - it gives unlimited minutes on both phones, whereas the verizon plan was only going to give unlimited minutes on one of the storms) Believe me, I liked the Storms. But I simply cannot find a way to justify going with them.

I'd like to say one thing: The fact that the apple folks quickly solved my requirements doesn't reflect on the folks on this forum who responded to my thread. You all are very insightful. I think it simply demonstrates that the BB world doesn't seem to have crossed the bridge of this "simple-entry point info sharing" idea as thoroughly as iPhone - unless you're willing to spend a lot more $ per month for enterprise server-type solutions, or go through the headaches of managing it yourself.

Thanks again, and please don't shoot me if you ever run across me and my iPhone on the street.
    Last edited by mickbadal; 01-27-09 at 07:09 PM.
    01-27-09 07:07 PM
    No problem, Mickbadal.

It's the marketplace ... and you chose a solution that you think will satisfy your needs.

However, I am interested in your ATT setup. You have two iPhones on MobileMe for the price of one? I thought Apple was in control of that pricing plan.

And also, did you ever consider the Bold?
    01-27-09 07:57 PM
    They quoted MobileMe as $69.99/yr for one user, or $119/yr for multiple users (the package we want), which equates to $10 per month.
    01-27-09 09:33 PM
    Thanks. Good Luck.
    01-27-09 11:08 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD