This is the short version - if I give the long version I will just get even madder.

Back in October, got word that AT&T was going to buy my carrier - Cellular One. In November, I went in and bought a Curve - outright. $500. BEFORE I bought the Curve, I asked the salesgirl if it would be compatible with AT&T once the transition occurred. Of course it will she says. SOOOO.. flash forward a few months. I went into the store to drop off my bill payment. Different sales clerk asks me if I want to go on and switch over to AT&T and I told her sure. Didn't matter to me. So she tells me I need to go pick out a new Blackberry. I tell her that I don't need a new Blackberry. She proceeds to tell me that my Blackberry won't be compatible with AT&T. I told her that was nonsense, that when I bought it they told me it would be. Otherwise, I would not have spent $500 on something that wouldn't work for me in a few months. Needless to say, I didn't switch over to AT&T that day. But the day is soon approaching that I will have to because they are going to eventually close the entire merger and everyone who is on Cellular One will either have to switch over or go somewhere else. I e-mailed Cellular One tech support explaining my problem. They e-mailed me back and said that it would be compatible, it just needed to be unlocked. They said that I needed to call them once I got ready to switch over and they would give me the unlocking instructions. Great! So I was back in the AT&T shop and I told the clerk my good news. She sniped at me - "Well, you won't be able to get on the internet. It is going to be impossible. They are wrong!!" I was so mad! I just smiled, did my business and left.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO.................... Who is right?? Please tell me that I will be able to use it. This is just unreal.
    02-28-08 07:03 PM
    okay here's what I know...

I was with Cell One as well. In October (knowing about the merger) I went ahead and paid full retail for the BB Pearl. I also asked about the ability to use the phone~My rep said as long as the Pearl is unlocked (which cellone's phone are generally)~I wouldn't have a problem.

Okay~so, same as you~January comes and I go in to change over to At&t...Rep told me I HAD to buy a new phone even though my two month old pearl worked just fine. I did buy a curve and got my husband a cheapo samsung. He tried it out for about 1/2 hour and then put the at&t sim into his old cell one Razr.

would it be possible for you to pick up a free phone online through at&t (do the switchover) and then after you get the phone, go online again and add the blackberry service?

also~to answer your question about getting online~I'm pretty sure you can, but you might have to change some network settings.
    Last edited by Baroness110902; 02-28-08 at 07:33 PM. Reason: finish my thought
    02-28-08 07:29 PM
    I work for CellOne/Att. You do NOT need to get a new BB! The CellOne phones are unlocked! Tell the reps that you know you do NOT need to get a phone because the CellOne BB is unlocked. If they will not help you then call into Customer Service as well will be glad to help you!
    Last edited by Click; 02-28-08 at 07:45 PM.
    02-28-08 07:42 PM
    I also work for CellOne/ATT - our market of blackberries WERE in fact locked. However, we are able to email one of our contacts with RIM and receive an unlock code to get your blackberry working! Let me know if your situation has NOT been resolved and I will see what I can do to help get it resolved. ( I had to do it to my blackberry, as well as all of my employees had to do it to their blackberries as well)
    02-28-08 07:50 PM
    OH and in regards to if the internet will work - YES, it will work perfectly. :-) hope this helped!! Like I said - i will assist you in every way possible. Just let me know!
    02-28-08 08:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD