Okay, something on my mind, In recent weeks it seems the media have been making a big deal on who is using a blackberry...great for blackberry, but I think they are overdoing it.

I believe it was FoxNews, but they were showing Obama getting out of a car on a phone. The media kept saying he was on his blackberry, but to me it looked like a regular phone.

Anyone else see this or have an opinion on this topic?
    09-28-08 11:47 AM
    Maybe "blackberry" has become the catch phrase for any kind of a smartphone - like "Kleenex" for tissue.
    09-28-08 12:06 PM
    xerox for copying hehe
    09-28-08 12:16 PM
    No BlackBerry is not the catch phrase... However a lot of people call the Moto Q a BB, I don't know why. When I had my Q9h I had somebody call it a BB. But the Tilt is the Tilt, iPhone is the iPhone, and so on and so on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-08 12:20 PM
    Just like a lot of corporations issue BB's to their employees, if you notice a lot of the news media people use berry's, so this might explain their "slanted" view.
    09-28-08 12:35 PM
    My question is why this is even being reported as news in the first place? Is it really a big deal what kind of phone celebrities are using?
    09-28-08 04:16 PM
    its a big deal cause he could be the next president...**** there was a whole blog post on Sara Palin having a BB
    09-28-08 04:24 PM
    Blackberry is a status symbol...it's like that period when EVERYONE had a sidekick. Basically the media is saying "this is the device to have".

No idea of the surge recently...except that maybe everyone's starting to realise the BB really is an awesome little device. There's been a lot about the politicians in Canada using the BBs too...although in Canada it's kind of seen as a "supporting the local economy" thing since RIM is out of Waterloo...
    09-28-08 04:31 PM
    Blackberry is a status symbol...it's like that period when EVERYONE had a sidekick. Basically the media is saying "this is the device to have".

No idea of the surge recently...except that maybe everyone's starting to realise the BB really is an awesome little device. There's been a lot about the politicians in Canada using the BBs too...although in Canada it's kind of seen as a "supporting the local economy" thing since RIM is out of Waterloo...
    Oh crud, now I have to get rid of my Berry because it's a status symbol that everyone wants to have now? UGHHHH! Oh wait, only two people I know have Berries so I'm ok.

Glad I wasn't part of that Sidekick period, cause around here they were being "found" on buses, mall food courts and in restaurants all the time, and some must have invented transporter tech, cause they seem to magically vanish out of purses, pack packs and parked cars (well the newer ones do anyway).
    09-28-08 04:40 PM
    You know what they say "Any publicity, is good publicity!"
    09-28-08 05:07 PM
    Seeing that many celebrities using BlackBerrys was more of a turn off for me getting one. In fact, the only reason I'm using a BlackBerry is because T-Mobile threw in a promotional plan for smartphones and BlackBerrys that I really wanted and it was either a T-Mobile Shadow, a BB Pearl or a BB Curve the only choices available locally.

Whatever, now that I have a BlackBerry, I have it because I have it, period. Afterall, except for the celebrity hype, I never mind seeing people with the same phone I have. To me, the more people using a phone, the bigger the support community, more choices when it comes to accessories and more software applications available.
    09-28-08 05:39 PM

I have to agree, having a Blackberry is a status symbol. I read GeekSugar regularly and they ALWAYS highlight Blackberry usage on TV shows and the like. Blackberry = Louis Vuitton of phones?
    09-29-08 08:22 PM
    People are just nosy or care what celebrities eat, wear, say... Because their are celebrities. Or sometimes, companies just sponsor them with nice products, not neccessarily what the celebrities like.
    09-29-08 08:32 PM
    its a big deal cause he could be the next president...
    Who cares? And the cell he uses is a big deal?
    09-29-08 09:45 PM
    There is a "blackberry celebrity sightings" website that has pics of celebs with Blackberries.... but if you look at a lot of them, it's hard to tell what kind of phone it is. There's no proof it's a Blackberry. I agree, they are getting carried away with it. I look at some of the BB Celeb pics and say, "c'mon you can't even tell if that's a BB."
    09-30-08 04:33 AM
    Since the dawn of the movie industry, every loser in the country (U.S.) has been obsessed with <i>everything</i> their favorite celebrity does. From fashion to food to religion...

It has only gotten worse, of course. There are entire corporations who make their living like this because stupid people buy into it.
    09-30-08 04:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD