02-12-15 07:44 AM
    I posted a comment or two when this thread was first posted. Since then, I've read and posted comments on other threads. This morning, I re-read some of the comments and I've noticed the term "slave-labor" used quite a lot. Being the descendant of actual slaves, I take issue with the idea of people being paid for their labor being categorized as slaves. ACTUAL slaves didn't get paid for their labor. They were captives--captives treated as less than human. They were beaten and killed. They were sold on an open market. Female slaves were raped and sometimes forced to carry the children of their masters. Husbands were separated from their wives. Parents were separated from their children. The very notion that someone being paid ANYTHING AT ALL is comparable to someone whose labor was performed in captivity is simply ludicrous. I get it. Apple can do more, and they should. I also understand why this was posted in the first place. This was another "let's hate Apple" post. It's CrackBerry, so it's to be expected, but let's cut the hyperbole and learn what "slave labor" actually meant.
    02-12-15 09:39 AM
    02-12-15 10:21 AM
    I posted a comment or two when this thread was first posted. Since then, I've read and posted comments on other threads. This morning, I re-read some of the comments and I've noticed the term "slave-labor" used quite a lot. Being the descendant of actual slaves, I take issue with the idea of people being paid for their labor being categorized as slaves. ACTUAL slaves didn't get paid for their labor. They were captives--captives treated as less than human. They were beaten and killed. They were sold on an open market. Female slaves were raped and sometimes forced to carry the children of their masters. Husbands were separated from their wives. Parents were separated from their children. The very notion that someone being paid ANYTHING AT ALL is comparable to someone whose labor was performed in captivity is simply ludicrous. I get it. Apple can do more, and they should. I also understand why this was posted in the first place. This was another "let's hate Apple" post. It's CrackBerry, so it's to be expected, but let's cut the hyperbole and learn what "slave labor" actually meant.
    If you're done standing on that soap box, can you pass it over? Today is laundry day.
    02-12-15 10:53 AM
    Thanks for injecting some actual information into this discussion.

Here's Blackberry's page on supply-chain ethics.

My takeaway is that every tech company faces exactly the same challenges:

1. Secure components (and the raw materials needed to produce them)
    2. In quantity, on time, and of good quality
    3. As cheaply as possible
    4. Without seeming to be too evil.

And it is a classic "Pick any three" paradox.

I'm sure that, by the numbers, Apple is responsible for vastly more violations, because they sell thousands of times more stuff than anyone else. I'm also sure that this is a problem other firms would love to have.

Only a fool thinks that any big tech firm is morally pure. But it is equally foolish to assume that the C-level execs at any company are insensible to human suffering or environmental impacts. And if we think we can save the world by our decisions for ProductA versus ProductB at the mall, we are the biggest fools of all.
    MikeX74 and TGR1 like this.
    02-12-15 11:42 AM
    ok then, 1st article to say Apple's broken promise, closed by article to say Apple's response to their supply chain compliance

the end and world peace hehehehehe
    02-12-15 01:13 PM
    What you interpret as "slave" doesn't have such narrow meaning. But we get your point.

Similar is when people misuse "rape" to talk about losing in video games or ripped off, not an actual sex related rape. Though I think my example is much more extreme than slaves vs slave labour.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-15 03:28 PM
    What you interpret as "slave" doesn't have such narrow meaning. But we get your point.

Similar is when people misuse "rape" to talk about losing in video games or ripped off, not an actual sex related rape. Though I think my example is much more extreme than slaves vs slave labour.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for at least trying to understand what I'm saying.
    02-12-15 03:47 PM
    Honestly their wages aren't the greatest, but why is everyone crying about their work hours? Have any of you hipsters actually worked? I'm up at 4:30am and get home around 7:30 - 8:00pm, but I'm making $200k, hahaha oil patch bitches !

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 01:36 AM
    Honestly their wages aren't the greatest, but why is everyone crying about their work hours? Have any of you hipsters actually worked? I'm up at 4:30am and get home around 7:30 - 8:00pm, but I'm making $200k, hahaha oil patch bitches !

Posted via CB10
    You work the rigs? If so then I don't begrudge you a single dime of it, that's hard real work
    02-22-15 07:24 AM
210 ... 789