Okay. I guess I misunderstood. Well enjoy your new watch.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 11:21 PM
    Not sure if I will enjoy it or not, but I appreciate the backhanded compliment Figured it wouldn't be delivered until June and that would give me an opportunity to see real reviews. Apple hasn't charged me, so I have nothing to lose. Will continue to use my Q10 and iPhone 6 either way.
    04-12-15 11:23 PM
    Yes. The taxpayer argument.

I would say a taxpayer-funded entity should be more concerned with supporting what most of the taxpayers use, but hey...
    I agree. Plus, CBC providing support to a Canadian firm with an American CEO that's based in California and whose phones are produced abroad . . .
    04-13-15 02:15 AM
    Doesn't matter if CBC is taxpayer funded or not, it's called simple business economics my friends and being from the states, I haven't seen a Blackberry OS10 device in the wild for a long time.

Folks here have either an Android or an iPhone stuck to their ear and that's both at the consumer and the business end.

Here in the Detroit area, Ford and GM who used to be all Blackberry are now all Android and IOS devices and I haven't heard one person say there has been any security issues with their devices?

The developers are going to go where the revenue is at and right now and from what I have seen lately, I am sad to say, it's not Blackberry anymore.
    kbz1960, JeepBB, Eumaeus and 2 others like this.
    04-13-15 03:58 AM
    Apple watch is just going to be another fad. I don't think it will sell well after the initial first couple of years. Until the smartwatch battery last more then 30 days I don't think it's something we would get used to charging everyday when we come home.
    For sanity's sake, I'd really like to see your prediction come true. :-)
    (one of those Microsoft predictions, "oh, the internet is just a fad..."?)

I however feel that the Apple F.E.T.I.S.H. value is going to outweigh ANY perceived or real drawbacks, bar from the thing exploding and burning off your wrist... 8-o

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    04-13-15 04:24 AM
    For sanity's sake, I'd really like to see your prediction come true. :-)
    (one of those Microsoft predictions, "oh, the internet is just a fad..."?)

I however feel that the Apple F.E.T.I.S.H. value is going to outweigh ANY perceived or real drawbacks, bar from the thing exploding and burning off your wrist... 8-o

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    From a business standpoint I don't think it's a fad, now that the iPhone and IOS has matured the timing was perfect for a device like the iWatch.

Apple has the software and engineering resources to make it what the consumer asked for, resulting in a successful product and a few more billions in their already full bank account.
    04-13-15 05:29 AM

Apple has the software and engineering resources to make it what the consumer asked for, resulting in a successful product and a few more billions in their already full bank account.
    Lucky Irish!

TCB on Z10
    04-13-15 06:25 AM
    And yet smartwatches (regardless of brand) are selling better than the market expected. Not to mention that Lazaridis and Balsillie said the same thing about the iPhone when it was released... look where that got them.
    Did they actually say that, or is that an urban legend?
    04-13-15 07:08 AM
    I agree. Plus, CBC providing support to a Canadian firm with an American CEO that's based in California and whose phones are produced abroad . . .
    This gets tricky really quickly. I hear what you're saying, but reality is that most of BlackBerry's thousands of remaining employees are in Canada, performing all the various R&D and corporate functions on Canadian soil.

Not disagreeing with your point that it isn't clear cut. But even if manufacturing is done abroad, the phones that get manufactured abroad are designed in Canada.
    playboldbook likes this.
    04-13-15 07:10 AM
    I guess I'm a member of the anti smartwatch crowd. I got one, because I like technology, but the charging thing got old for me real fast. I plug it in and forget to put it back on. I abandoned the Fitbit Flex for the same reason. The Garmin Vivofit only needs 1 battery change a year.
    I'm in the "wait and see what happens to the category" crowd. I was wrong about tablets and am happy to be proven wrong again. But I don't see the need for me just yet.
    04-13-15 07:13 AM
    Apple watch is just going to be another fad. I don't think it will sell well after the initial first couple of years. Until the smartwatch battery last more then 30 days I don't think it's something we would get used to charging everyday when we come home.
    Mike and Jim thought the same thing about the iPhone. If the Apple watch becomes and invaluable piece of tech to those that buy it, it will be around for a long time. The original iPhone wasn't great and they own the market now.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 07:15 AM
    I'm in the "wait and see what happens to the category" crowd. I was wrong about tablets and am happy to be proven wrong again. But I don't see the need for me just yet.
    I was missing too many phone calls and meeting alerts because I just couldn't hear my phone (don't like loud alerts during meetings) or feel the vibrate, particularly when I am focused on something. My Pebble has saved my **** on at least two significant occasions in the past week.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-13-15 08:16 AM
    Yes. The taxpayer argument.

I would say a taxpayer-funded entity should be more concerned with supporting what most of the taxpayers use, but hey...
    That is a valid point. One I thought about before posting. But there is still enough market share in Canada to warrant support. And by not supporting BlackBerry don't they then contribute to the whole app debate and BlackBerry is dead perception?
    04-13-15 08:35 AM
    I was missing too many phone calls and meeting alerts because I just couldn't hear my phone (don't like loud alerts during meetings) or feel the vibrate, particularly when I am focused on something. My Pebble has saved my **** on at least two significant occasions in the past week.
    I know those feels (no pun intended)

I prefer my phone on silent because of the calls, constant messages, emails, and social network notifications I receive. Plus when I'm busy I prefer to use the watch instead of having to get the phone out.

Glad I got a G Smartwatch but would never pay apple prices.
    04-13-15 08:46 AM
    You must be an insider,even Tim Cook didn't say they sold out.
    04-13-15 08:59 AM
    You said it all apple cares about is your money.
    04-13-15 09:04 AM
    I know those feels (no pun intended)

I prefer my phone on silent because of the calls, constant messages, emails, and social network notifications I receive. Plus when I'm busy I prefer to use the watch instead of having to get the phone out.

Glad I got a G Smartwatch but would never pay apple prices.
    I did preorder and also got an appointment to make sure of it. Photos don't do the watch justice. Beautifully made piece of kit. I am looking forward to putting it through its paces against the Pebble.
    04-13-15 10:29 AM
    Bottom Line: **** Tracy would be proud.

Personally, in many ways I don't appreciate how the CBC spends our tax dollars. Not to imply that I could do a better job, just to say that I see a lot of waste, fluff, and, when it comes to their website, poor design.

On the other hand, TVO KIds is money well spent. They do a good job on their programming, delivery, content, and website, for kids and parents. CBC, not so much.

I am not at all shocked by the CBC's actions with the BlackBerry app. Their mobile site sucks, when compared to say Softpedia's mobile site, but in theory an app is not required to deliver their content. Back in the WAP Browser days sites would have different stylesheets for different devices and standardized content was fed to the end user through those stylesheets. After several years of "apps", folks seem to have realized that the stylesheet + web browser concept to deliver content actually made a lot sense and wasn't only done due to the limited resources of the devices at the time.
    playboldbook likes this.
    04-13-15 10:48 AM
    Use the website. Apps are most of the time inferior to the websites. Apps will bug, apps won't be supported forever, website are internet.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 11:19 AM
    Bottom Line: **** ts. After several years of "apps", folks seem to have realized that the stylesheet + web browser concept to deliver content actually made a lot sense and wasn't only done due to the limited resources of the devices at the time.
    Well a publicly funded corporation should not be catering to their favorite private companies. They should treat them all the same; i.e., dump the iOS app and let the iPhone, and Watch, users go use a website too. Fair is fair. If it makes sense for second class BlackBerry users, it should make equal sense for iOS and Android users too. It is like a gas station making Subaru owners go around back to pump gas but the Chevy guys go up front because there are more of them. CBC already spent the money to develop the native BB10 app so how much are they saving by canning it?

TCB on Z10
    playboldbook likes this.
    04-13-15 11:32 AM
    I definitely can see the use case here, though I'd probably just set the ringtone on my phone to low. Not sure having a watch on my wrist to catch calls would justify a $350 purchase for me.
    04-13-15 11:41 AM
    Use the website. Apps are most of the time inferior to the websites. Apps will bug, apps won't be supported forever, website are internet.

Posted via CB10
    LOL. Posting that -- with an app -- is especially ironic.
    TGR1, mnc76, early2bed and 8 others like this.
    04-13-15 11:46 AM
    Well a publicly funded corporation should not be catering to their favorite private companies. They should treat them all the same; i.e., dump the iOS app and let the iPhone, and Watch, users go use a website too. Fair is fair. If it makes sense for second class BlackBerry users, it should make equal sense for iOS and Android users too. It is like a gas station making Subaru owners go around back to pump gas but the Chevy guys go up front because there are more of them. CBC already spent the money to develop the native BB10 app so how much are they saving by canning it?

TCB on Z10
    It's a slippery slope you are proposing and "Fair" is subjective in business. By delivering a subpar performance to 98% of users CBC runs a risk of losing out to its competitors that do deliver superior performance. What then the point of taxpayers funding a money pit no one uses? (I won't go into whether that is already the case).

I think you can easily see the corollary to RIM/BBRY fortunes were CBC to take this route.
    04-13-15 11:51 AM

TCB on Z10
    The real world doesn't work this way. Corporations (for profit and non-profit) are expected to use limited resources in the best way possible.

So, unless prohibited by the law, CBC can argue it is being a good steward of limited funds by creating products that cater to most of the mobile folks it serves.

"Fair" doesn't apply.
    kbz1960 and mornhavon like this.
    04-13-15 11:57 AM
    Doesn't matter if CBC is taxpayer funded or not, it's called simple business economics my friends and being from the states, I haven't seen a Blackberry OS10 device in the wild for a long time.

Folks here have either an Android or an iPhone stuck to their ear and that's both at the consumer and the business end.

Here in the Detroit area, Ford and GM who used to be all Blackberry are now all Android and IOS devices and I haven't heard one person say there has been any security issues with their devices?

The developers are going to go where the revenue is at and right now and from what I have seen lately, I am sad to say, it's not Blackberry anymore.
    CBC = Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. So I'm not sure how your American experience applies.

The CBC reports on breaking stories as any other organization, but also -- as a publicly funded company -- has a mandate to report on and support Canadian issues and a Canadian audience. For example, they may do a documentary on the experience of native Canadians even though the native Canadian community is very small, and even though it may not be a documentary that will get millions of views.

The point is that analogies like yours that treat the CBC exactly as if they were a private, for-profit, American broadcaster, broadcasting in America for Americans... and completely dismiss the fact that they are actually a public, not-for-profit, Canadian broadcaster, broadcasting in Canada for Canadians... are an oversimplification. You can't just dismiss these major differences. Canada, for example, has different per-capita usage of BlackBerry than the US, but this is completely overlooked in your comment.

If your point still stands after taking these differences into account, then that's great. But you can't simply dismiss these important differences and base your argument entirely on your Detroit USA experience.

Posted from my awesome White Z30
    playboldbook likes this.
    04-13-15 12:00 PM
134 1234 ...