I am new to cell phones (don't have one currently, but need to get one.)

I need to be able to browse the internet, stream videos and access e-mail, besides being able to make calls from the device...

I have been looking at the Droid X, or a Blackberry Storm 2, as they seem like the best options from what limited information I have.

Any information or advice is welcome.

I am a little concerned with the Android security, and for that reason alone have been leaning towards the Blackberry, but I want the large screen offered by the Droid X......

DeltaAlphaNovember
    12-12-10 09:32 PM
    The first thing you need to look at is what carrier provides the best service in your area. Then you should pick from the phones that they offer.
    12-12-10 09:35 PM
    I will be using Verizon, as that is the only carrier that will get me good coverage in my area...

DeltaAlphaNovember
    12-12-10 09:45 PM
    What security concerns do you specifically have with Android? I think they're fine if you're careful with what you do on your device. I have been through the galaxy tab and a phone running froyo... still have them but I only use my S2 even after all these.
    12-12-10 10:24 PM
    Also have a look at the bold 9650 if you want more of a classic blackberry device. It is rmoured the storm is getting an upgrade but I'm not sure about that.
    12-13-10 08:39 AM
    it will get an update soon
    12-13-10 08:46 AM
    The best way to choose is to use the phones yourself and choose the one that works best for you. Each to his own kinda thing. IMO however, if you're going to be using it a lot for web browsing, I would go with the droid X. The BB browser is subpar. It'll get you by but doesn't measure up to the droid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-10 01:44 PM
    Since you said you're new to smartphones and want a good web browsing experience, I would recommend the Droid 2 just because android has a better browser. I have a Bold 9650 with 6.0 and the webkit is nice but still pretty slow even with wifi. My reason for sticking to BB is because of he communication factor and I don't do a whole lot of browsing.
    12-13-10 01:57 PM
    I am a little concerned with the Android security, and for that reason alone have been leaning towards the Blackberry, but I want the large screen offered by the Droid X......

DeltaAlphaNovember
    1) Androids are Linux Based phones. They use a Linux style kernel, and the same time file systems. When was the last time you heard about Linux being under a virus attack, or needing anti-virus programming. Most of the time the "viruses" that people are talking about are Mal-Ware that is user installed, and the user set the permissions to allow which allows the program to leach information off of the phone. RIM makes Java based phones which is hard to code viruses for, just like Linux, but they are fall subject to the same type of mal-ware that Android are. They are installed and permitted just like Androids.

2) Blackberries and Androids are both very good phones. Blackberry will exceed at E-Mail and, mainly due to battery life questions. The Androids do E-Mail well, but they are heavy battery drainers.

3) Android will be alot better at streaming media. Blackberry, in it's current form, doesn't play flash video, and Skyfire (a 3rd party browser) has no intentions on making a JAR/JAD browser that will be compatible with RIM devices.
    12-13-10 01:59 PM
    I am new to cell phones (don't have one currently, but need to get one.)

I need to be able to browse the internet, stream videos and access e-mail, besides being able to make calls from the device...

I have been looking at the Droid X, or a Blackberry Storm 2, as they seem like the best options from what limited information I have.

Any information or advice is welcome.

DeltaAlphaNovember
    As others have stated, I don't think security is a big issue with Android. I don't know much about the Droid X, but I haven't heard anything bad about it. I do know a few people with a Storm 2 that love it. But if you can hold out for another few months, word on the street is that the Storm 3 is not far away, and it will be coming to Verizon. I think it's going to turn a few heads when it hits the shelves. Of course there's also that rumor that the iPhone is coming to Verizon next year, too ...

Seems like you've already done some homework, as you've narrowed it down to two options. What I'd suggest, if you haven't already, is to spend a little time at a Verizon store and play with both. Compare browsers and email, but also compare navigating around and trying out as many built-in features as you can. See how each UI feels to you. Then go home, think about it, and go back and do it again a few days later. Also, if you're going to be using the phone for work, check with your resident propeller-heads and see if they have a preference as to models they will and will not allow to play in their sandbox.
    DeltaAlphaNovember likes this.
    12-13-10 03:13 PM
    I was not aware that Android is Linux based....Knowing that makes me feel much safer using that system...

Thanks for the info.
    12-13-10 05:13 PM
    I was not aware that Android is Linux based....Knowing that makes me feel much safer using that system...

Thanks for the info.
    no problem. I am not trying to persuade you to the Android side, i am just trying to give you the information that most people hide, and that is understandable on a blackberry forum. I've owned SEVERAL Blackberries in my years. They are nice phone and they do exactly what they are designed to do, and they do it very well. If you are needing a business phone i would still recommend Blackberry. but if you are going to be doing mostly media type stuff an android might be a better fit. And if you need any thing that is related to FLASH (not the camera flash, but flashed based script), Blackberry will not support it.
    12-14-10 08:08 AM
    Android 2.2 "Froyo" OS has built in Adobe Flash 10.1 support. It won't handle the intensive stuff that can tax a computer's processor even, but handles a whole lot more than iOS or BB devices can.

I've experienced similar battery life between my (former) Tour and my Droid 2 for similar usage. The similar usage is important though, because I have found that I'm using my Droid 2 far more than my BB, and for many more things. For that reason, I do tend to burn through a full charge on my Android in less time than with the BB, but I've done a lot more with it in that time also.

Go to a corporate owned store for the carrier you want to go with (corporate owned stores are more likely to have every different device they sell activated so you can really experience them on the web and so forth) and play with their devices for a good long while. Type longer things like simulated emails out (nothing personal obviously and I sure wouldn't log into anything on the store phones, but type enough for long enough to get familiar with the input system and see if it will work for you).

See how they are when browsing the web, streaming content, etc... Basically do all the things you plan to do with the device once you have it to see how it might work for you and if it is what you expect.
    12-14-10 10:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD