Has anyone tried the Otter box hard case for the curve? I'm an electrician and my phones tend to go through a lot of abuse, was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Otter box cases?

Also, my curve's screen does not turn on when I receive an email or text...I have to press a key to get the screen to turn on. I'm new to BB is this normal?
    12-10-08 04:17 PM
    the screen would only turn on if you were getting a call....If you were getting an email or text or bb message, the led light on the top would blinka nd the phone would iether vibrate or riing....You would have to hit a button to get into the messages...I have one of my side keys as the message button to make it easier
    12-10-08 04:46 PM
    I'm speaking third party, A guy at a previous job has an otterbox and he really enjoyed it. He however didn't like when I threw it, but not a scratch on the berry!
    12-10-08 10:04 PM
    An otterbox is the perfect choice for you. They protect your phone very well. There a little pricy but totally worth it. Also the cs is second to none.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-08 10:19 PM
    Has anyone tried the Otter box hard case for the curve? I'm an electrician and my phones tend to go through a lot of abuse, was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Otter box cases?

Also, my curve's screen does not turn on when I receive an email or text...I have to press a key to get the screen to turn on. I'm new to BB is this normal?
    I haven't used the Otter Box but I understand it's the case to have if your phone gets a lot of abuse.

And yes, it's normal for your screen not to turn on when receiving email.

Welcome to BB!
    12-11-08 03:57 PM
    I also work as an electrical contractor and the Ottorbox is the best solution I have found to date.
    I was used to either taking the phone off and burying it in my pouch and/or losing it in 2 feet of insulation on every attic run.

I have dropped it,thrown it and frozen it all with no harm to the phone.

Another nice feature is that the belt clip has a lot of grip and I have to try to remove it which I like.

I tried several other cases before mine and I have used RipOff brand cases till now.

Now every contractor I know has an OtterBox if they make one for their phone.

Ed
    12-11-08 04:19 PM
    I got the Otterbox for my 8310 about 2 weeks ago, and I love it. It has already paid for itself with 2 drops that would killed my phone without the case. I recommend following the instructions for putting the clear membrane over the screen closely. Also the pics are not as clear if you use the membrane (though you could cut that area out). I am a field service guy and put my phones through a good deal of abuse. BTW the one for the 8310 doesn't make you phone waterproof just lightly splash resistant.
    12-11-08 10:04 PM
    I got the Otterbox for my 8310 about 2 weeks ago, and I love it. It has already paid for itself with 2 drops that would killed my phone without the case. I recommend following the instructions for putting the clear membrane over the screen closely. Also the pics are not as clear if you use the membrane (though you could cut that area out). I am a field service guy and put my phones through a good deal of abuse. BTW the one for the 8310 doesn't make you phone waterproof just lightly splash resistant.
    I just hacked out(carefully) the screen area of the supplied membrane on mine.
    I saw the original Writeright screenprotectors at Walmart of all places and they are $5.00 for 5 of them.

I measured and cut them to fit the screen of the BB and then installed the rest of the membrane over the phone.

It works great and the screen is back to its original splendor as though there is no cover at all.

The other bonus is that the BB screen is small enough that I will easily get two protectors from every sheet.
    Now I can just cut a new one and replace it i it gets ugly but in the meantime I can see the screen too.

I don't think it really hurts the splashproofing much either,it fits fairly tight around the screen.
    12-12-08 07:29 AM

I'm an electrician also! I work with the Indiana Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Union!!

12-12-08 07:34 AM
    I have been looking at the otterbox but not quite sold on it.how hard is it to take off. I have hard plastic cases that you have to break to get off. I don't wanna pay that much for something a have to break to remove so I can swap batteries.

12-12-08 07:47 AM
    I have been looking at the otterbox but not quite sold on it.how hard is it to take off. I have hard plastic cases that you have to break to get off. I don't wanna pay that much for something a have to break to remove so I can swap batteries.
    While I would never use an OtterBox again, I can tell you you
    don't need to break it to take it off. I also have a hard plastic case
    (Speck) and I don't have to break that one either.

Maybe consider buying a better, read: non Ebay or generic case
    in the future.
    12-12-08 07:52 AM
    I have not seen any OEM hard plactic cases. The cases I get fit fine but you have to pry them off and the little snaps break. Unless I can find a metal case I don't see how price effects little plastic snaps.

12-12-08 08:01 AM
    I have not seen any OEM hard plactic cases. The cases I get fit fine but you have to pry them off and the little snaps break. Unless I can find a metal case I don't see how price effects little plastic snaps.
    Again, I have used clear plastic cases from Seidio (Pearl), Speck (Curve), and
    Mobi Products (Pearl) and have not broken any of them to remove them.
    12-12-08 08:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD