It seems to me that the flagship devices here in the states go to the GSM carriers. For example. The top of the line blackberry (9700) is on GSM. As well as the 9000, which had a unique type of form factor, which would have been nice to see on Verizon. and they even have a unique curve! Now the slider? I'm sort of mad about this. the storm to me is honestly a joke. the tour is buggy beyond belief. the 8300 is on every carrier, as well as the pearl. Verizon is "the network" but we sure gett the worst of phones. im seriously thinking of switching to AT&T for a better blackberry experience.
    03-03-10 07:43 PM
    Cleaned up the language. Please watch that going forward

...and I agree with your basic premise but I think it may have more to
    do with the type of network and how prolific they are worldwide. GSM
    covers more of the world so it only makes sense to design more GSM devices.
    03-03-10 07:56 PM
    Cleaned up the language. Please watch that going forward

...and I agree with your basic premise but I think it may have more to
    do with the type of network and how prolific they are worldwide. GSM
    covers more of the world so it only makes sense to design more GSM devices.
    sorry about that. and isee what your saying, but they cant make more "world" devices like the tour. or just release them all that way?
    its frustrating and im changing to AT&T because of this as soon as i can.
    03-03-10 08:10 PM
    Sometimes phones are offered to carriers and they turn them down. So just because the first carrier to release it was X doesn't mean that could have always been the case.

That said, most of the world is GSM, part of the reason GSM always has more readily available hardware (unless you are huge, like VZ and get some exclusives).

That said CDMA carriers are behind on BB, which has been the case for a long, long time...
    03-03-10 08:13 PM
    I dont matter! Telus is both GSM and CDMA!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-10 08:22 PM
    I dont matter! Telus is both GSM and CDMA!

It still matters in terms of supported 3g frequencies though =P.

NA gets jacked in this department usually in terms of unlocked phones.
    03-03-10 08:25 PM
    It seems to me that the flagship devices here in the states go to the GSM carriers. For example. The top of the line blackberry (9700) is on GSM. As well as the 9000, which had a unique type of form factor, which would have been nice to see on Verizon. and they even have a unique curve! Now the slider? I'm sort of mad about this. the storm to me is honestly a joke. the tour is buggy beyond belief. the 8300 is on every carrier, as well as the pearl. Verizon is "the network" but we sure gett the worst of phones. anyone agree?. im seriously thinking of switching to AT&T for a better blackberry experience.
    anyone agree with my thoughts?
    storm a joke? I assume you mean S1...S2 is the best phone by far I've ever owned. All in all, I agree with what you are saying though.
    03-03-10 08:34 PM
    I don't agree. Verizon blackberry vs at&t blackberry is such a different experience. At least for me. When I had a verizon storm 2 the 3g wasn't half as good as with at&t. My friends with verizon have such a hard time downloading things, but with at&t my downloads are done in seconds. I think people get caught up in how verizon gets service everywhere, which it does, but I get service everywhere with at&t and it's just an overall much better experience. So, I would understand why GSM carries get better phones. I'm not being biast or anything, but from my experience this would be my only thought.
    03-03-10 09:49 PM
    oh wow. when cdma owners were complaining they deserved a bold 9000 of their own, rim give it to them- the tour 9630. that shapes up to a very nice device. but now here we go again, you are saying the tour is buggy blah blah blah. and then rim's first touchscreen blackberry ever was introduced on a cdma network-verizon. you know how much frenzy was there for it. i was in nyc when they held the storm contests in a machine. lots and lots of crowd. so you say that the storm is a joke. need to check your hindsight. gsm gets most of the devices because its a worldwide standard. its the primary network. cdma has nice devices too. i just don't see what's the complaining about.
    03-03-10 10:13 PM
    Look its easier for a phone maker to create a GSM device and sell not only in the US but Europe as well. Nokia stopped making CDMA devices and it wouldn't surprise me if others followed suit. The other thing I like about GSM phones is that you can buy unlocked phones. Back before I had a kid, I would occasionally buy a phone only available in Europe.
    03-03-10 10:24 PM
    I don't agree with op's storm comment. I have a storm2 that is totally awesome! The only problems I've had with it have been from user error. I was ready to switch carriers myself until I checked out the storm2. But right now they couldn't pay me enough to give up this phone.
    03-04-10 06:57 AM
    I think the network you're on is more important that the device you have. If you're using at&t and you travel, data coverage is very spotty. Most carriers end up with a few exclusive offerings, but it's not like one carrier only has flip phones and the other have all the smartphones. If you like the phones somebody else offers and you happen to be in a great coverage area, switch.
    03-04-10 07:25 AM
    For most of the phone lineups, there was a GSM version first (more prolific world wide) followed by the CDMA version sometime afterward. The Curve, Pearl and 88xx series were like this.

I believe AT&T had an exclusivity agreement with the Bold 9000, so no other US carriers got the 9000 (T-Mo didn't get the 9000). I don't think they had an exclusivity agreement on the 9700, though, since it is available on T-Mo.

Verizon has their exclusivity agreement on the Storm. It is still only available on VZW and not even on other US CDMA carriers. None of the US GSM carriers have the 9520, although I guess you could get one from another carrier. I think this is also why the slider is going to come out GSM first - CDMA already has a touch-screen device.

I also think AT&T's exclusivity deal is why we saw the Tour in the first place. The 9000 replaced the 88xx on AT&T. This meant something else would have to replace the 8830 without being the "Bold". Give it some of the same features, change it up a bit, and give it a new name (to keep from violating the AT&T exclusivity agreement). Now that the Bold is no longer exclusive to AT&T, they can merge the lines again.
    03-04-10 07:34 AM
    Verizon IS getting a Bold this year. Either the 9730, or 9750.
    03-04-10 07:38 AM
    I would certainly like to see more devices available in CDMA for verizon network
    03-04-10 09:45 AM
    The whole word is GSM.
    For me though it doesn't matter as my provider has both 3G GSM and 3G CDMA. :P
    03-04-10 09:53 AM
    Its mostly a business decision to release the top sellers on GSM for obvious reasons. Just hold up and wait for the FCC to pass the "any phone any carrier" law and the launch of LTE networks we'll all be running on the same technology (hopefully). Then we get to see which carrie is truly better

03-04-10 02:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD