aliph jawbone or blueant z9 ??

I've been searching through the posts...talking to friends (ontheir headsets) reading reviews and company literature on both...

still cant pull the trigger. all I need is a little nudge in the right direction...

anyone used both? anyone love or hate one or the other? i really think i am ready to give bluetooth another shot (the horrible motorola h500 fiasco notwithstanding....) and the wired headsets are such a pain... I literally clotheslined myself recently (feet above head and landed on my back...the woman who saw it thought I was dead and then laughed until snot bubbles came out her nose...)

do i need further reason to want to lose the wired headset??? I think not.

so help a fellow crackberry brother see the light (and more importantly hear it clearly...)

suggestions?

-db
    02-09-08 07:07 PM
    I had much trouble deciding between the two as well. I finally chose the Jawbone, pretty much because I wasn't sure how much I'd like the type of earpiece the Blueant comes with, and that part didn't seem to be changeable. I knew I could have plenty of choices with the fit of the Jawbone and planned on getting some Jabra eargels (as suggested by many people) from the start. I found a perfect fit for myself and was also pleasantly surprised at the quality and loudness of incoming voices since that seems to be the least emphasized part of Jawbone reviews.

The only thing I am unhappy about would go for any bluetooth device. Turning on bluetooth connections eats up battery power like crazy, but it's a pain to do so after a call comes in - mostly due to my use of a password on my BB.
    02-09-08 10:22 PM
    I've had both, and several others as well. The BlueAnt is very well thought out and hands down better in several respects.
    Very small and lightweight - Jawbone is a chubber.
    Doesn't use a special charger.
    Comfort is relative I realize but the Z9 is a 9.98 for me.
    Simple to fit, doesn't need a bunch of earpieces.
    Easy to find and press buttons - Jawbone's hidden button scheme is poor.
    Software upgradable.
    Sounds good to me.
    Speaks to you "voice isolation max" etc... I don't generally like gizmos that talk but this is a useful application for it.
    Etc, etc...
    02-09-08 11:53 PM
    I will agree that in this day and age of USB chargers, the Jawbone's ODD charger is, well, odd. It does use a usb cable but that plugs into their proprietary plug for the headphone, itself. I had trouble with the Blueant and returned it to bestbuy. Got the Jawbone from Verizon with 25% discount.
    02-10-08 12:36 AM
    the only other headset i would even consider is the jabra jx10...

but I don't think it is nearly the quality of the other two...

-db
    02-10-08 05:48 AM
    Headsets are definately a one-size-does-not-fit-all item. I would guess I've returned more of them than I've kept. In the end, the z9 turned out to be the "wear it all day comfortably" one and the Plantronics Voyager 510 second for me in fit but it's back to the "not usb" charger etc... Good luck on your quest!
    02-10-08 09:19 AM
    well...

I boutght it!

the blueant z9!

I paired it with my 8130. no sweat...two test calls...clear as a regular phone call. no echos..no tunnel sound..no background noise..

I just didn't like the way the jawbone looks.. ( a little too modern art for me...)
    No offense to all you jawbone users out there...

the blue ant is smaller...and I really like it... the controls are super intuitive and easy to use...

can't say enough about it...yet...

I will use it for a week and see how it works "in the field"...

-db
    Last edited by daddybear; 02-10-08 at 02:55 PM.
    02-10-08 02:28 PM
    Does the blueant have the earbud and the clip that goes over the ear?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-08 09:08 PM
    I have the JX10 II. I bought it for the size, but I've seen the blueant... and I'm thinking about upgrading. I do like that the JX doesn't require the ear hook though, it stays in the ear just fine without, provided you aren't running or anything. And it slips into the pocket nicely when not in use.
    03-15-08 05:51 AM
    yeah it has an ear loop..

and i think it fits comfortably..

-db
    03-15-08 06:23 AM
    Well after going through about ten different headsets in the last two months I finally have two that I have settled on. The Jabra BT5020 and the BlueAnt Z9. Both are very comfortable to be worn all day and both have good incoming call quality. I have been told that the Jabra sometimes breaks up on the listeners end.
    Neither one has the blinking blue light on all the time which is a plus for me. Although the BlueAnt has to be manually set to not blink each time it is turned on. I would recommend either one. Oh, they feel very secure also while wearing them, there is no feeling as though they will fall off if you move your head.
    03-17-08 07:33 PM
    I think I might pull the trigger and get the blueant z9. Anyone know who has the best price. I will be using it with my pearl 8130 on Verizon. Have been doing tons of research. Came across a very pricey one...Gennom or something. Anyone know anything about that one?

03-18-08 10:22 PM
    I don't know much about the z9, but the aliph jawbone is great. Just don't (accidently) drop it in water. The blow dryer method doesn't work on all devices.
    03-18-08 11:04 PM
    I pulled the trigger and ordered a blueant Z9. Hope it works well.

03-20-08 06:45 PM
    Does the blueant have the earbud and the clip that goes over the ear?

The clip on the Z9 is a clear plastic hook and you can remove it like the Jawbone's metal clip. I'm also trying to decide between the two. They both have their Pros and Cons. Since everyone's ear is different... if at all possible YOU should try them on to see how they fit to your ear. So far...

Jawbone:
    Pros - After bending the clips it fits nice throughout the day. Blinking light is suttle. Easier to use than Z9. Sounds quality is good.
    Cons - A bit of a pain putting it on for my snug fit. Bigger than the Z9. Less talk and stand bye.

Blueant Z9:
    Pros - Light and small. More talk and stand bye time. Charge from your usb port. It has a clip wear you can clip on to your shirt or small enough to put away in your pocket. Nice and loud.
    Cons - For me after wearing it for a while it hurts my ear so I may have to see about getting some ear gels.
    Last edited by chynnamann; 03-21-08 at 09:17 PM.
    03-21-08 10:16 AM
    first off, where do i get these ear gels everyone is talking about, and second, i have no problem charging my jawbone with the usb port on my computer
    03-21-08 06:07 PM
    The ear gels are made by Jabra. I ordered mine from Hello Direct, but I think you can get them at any store that sells Jabra headsets. There are two types - gels and minigels.

That said, I ordered the BlueAnt z9 today and am returning my jawbone to the store tomorrow, after a week of trying everything, including minigels, to get the jawbone to fit my ear. None of the included earbuds fit me. The longer minigel fit great, but the over the ear piece on the jawbone kept pushing it out of my ear. I didn't want to bend the earpiece as I've read reviews that they snap easily and then I wouldn't be able to get my $119 back. So back to the store I go.
    03-21-08 10:46 PM
    I got mine today from a Verizon store. They were actually packaged by Verizon but clearly says Jabra minigels... $2.99 plus tax. I think I've seen them on the internet for $9.99 average?
    03-23-08 02:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD