I am able to download images from HTML emails on my @telus.blackberry.net account just fine, but I cannot on my hosted BES account. I've had the hosted BES account for a little over a month and I've never been able to download the images in an HTML email. Sometimes nothing happens, and sometimes I get the red 'x' for a broken link. The data arrows usually start moving when I ask it to download images though. My settings are correct as far as I can see. Any ideas?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-11 08:59 PM
    Is it your own hosted BES account or hosted by your employer??? If its by your employer they may have set restrictions on what is sent through the server and you may not always be able to download images.
    01-03-11 09:47 PM
    Is it your own hosted BES account or hosted by your employer??? If its by your employer they may have set restrictions on what is sent through the server and you may not always be able to download images.
    Neither - it's hosted by a third party, GoDaddy. I've checked and there are no IT Policies.

01-03-11 09:50 PM
    So I've been doing some more research, and someone mentioned that HTML email needs to be enabled by the BES administrator. I called GoDaddy to ask them to enable it, but it didn't go so well. First he said he didn't think there was an option at his end, and that I probably needed to enable it on the device. I explained I already did that, it didn't work, and that feedback I received online said that the host needed to enable it on their server.

He put me on hold, came back and said they won't enable it because they have a bucket of settings that apply to all users, and that not everyone would want HTML email. I told him that was ridiculous as any user can disable it on their device if they don't want it. He just said if I wanted this option I had to run my own server!

They sent me an email soliciting feedback right after I hung up; this should be fun! So has anyone had any experience with GoDaddy and their BES Exchange services?
    01-03-11 11:38 PM
    They won't enable it because they would get a rash of support called from people complaining about trunkated email and the like. I'd just look into another service provider, and contact Live Chat before using them to make sure they will allow you to do what you need to do before signing up.

If that's possible.
    01-04-11 02:03 AM
    They won't enable it because they would get a rash of support called from people complaining about trunkated email and the like. I'd just look into another service provider, and contact Live Chat before using them to make sure they will allow you to do what you need to do before signing up.

If that's possible.
    Thanks for your reply. I don't get it though; if users don't want HTML email, they dont have to enable it on their devices. Maybe I'm being closed minded, but I would think most people would rather have the option available.

I could research other hosts at the end of my three months, but I don't think I'm going to find another provider that offers Exchange service with BES for $10/month. The only other one I looked into (can't remember the company off hand) wanted $10 for hosted Exchange, and another $10 for BES. GoDaddy gives it all for $10. And my personal domain was only $13/year IIRC.

01-04-11 05:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD