Hi..

My laptop is connected to cable internet, and by creating an ad-hoc connection, you actually can share wi-fi access to wireless devices WITHOUT a router. in short, my laptop also serves as the router.

Now, my iPhone has no problems detecting the wifi signal from my laptop and I'm able to connect to the internet on the iPhone. However, my BB Bold 9780 can't detect the wifi signal at all.

appreciate any help you guys can provide.
    02-26-11 12:42 PM
    LOL! I love the way you did the "!!" in your post!

It does not work that way.
    02-26-11 02:48 PM

Any Solution PLZ ?
    02-27-11 10:04 AM
    If I understand your post correctly, you want to tether your 9780 to your PC for internet access. If that is what you're wanting to do, check the link below. If I have not correctly understood, please clarify and I'll try to help you as much as I can.

BlackBerry 101: Configure Your BlackBerry as an IP Modem Using Desktop Manager | CrackBerry.com
    02-27-11 10:13 AM
    That's not what he meant. His laptop is somehow a WiFi hotspot, his iPhone picks up the signal while the BB does not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-11 11:02 AM
    That's not what he meant. His laptop is somehow a WiFi hotspot, his iPhone picks up the signal while the BB does not.

Aside from from pointing out that I have misunderstood his post, and the fact that his laptop is "somehow" a wifi hotspot, you fail to offer any solution to assist in resolving his issue.
    02-27-11 11:21 AM
    I'm no expert on this, far from it. But- since your WiFi then is considered "ad-hoc" do BBs pick up ad-hoc WiFi signals? Is your iPhone JailBroken?

02-27-11 11:42 AM
    If I have not correctly understood, please clarify and I'll try to help you as much as I can.
    Aside from from pointing out that I have misunderstood his post, and the fact that his laptop is "somehow" a wifi hotspot, you fail to offer any solution to assist in resolving his issue.
    I just did what you said, to see if you can help him, because I can't come up with a solution obvioulsy, no need to point it out.

Considering the fact that OP's first post was 100% clear.
    02-27-11 12:46 PM
    I just did what you said, to see if you can help him, because I can't come up with a solution obvioulsy, no need to point it out.

Considering the fact that OP's first post was 100% clear.
    It may have been 100% clear to you, but I am not familiar with using a laptop as a wifi hotspot. I tried to help to the best of my ability. Your post did nothing to assist the OP. Not too mention that my responses were to the OP, not you. If I have a solution or even potential solution I try to help. Obviously you post for a different reason. So if you have no advice for the OP to assist, then perhaps you should go about the business of playing video games in your parents basement.
    02-27-11 01:08 PM
    I'm no expert on this, far from it. But- since your WiFi then is considered "ad-hoc" do BBs pick up ad-hoc WiFi signals? Is your iPhone JailBroken?

Mr Man there has hit the nail on the head ! However help is at hand, but only if you're running Windows 7.

Windows 7 can emmulate a "proper" wifi network, there is lengthy discussion on the subject of manually setting up Windows 7 to create this WiFi network using built in virtual drivers et all - but to cut a long story short if you are running Windows 7 - download Connectify Me, brilliant free bit of software that will create the pseudo-real WiFi network you need, and your 9780 will happily connect to it.

If it helps you feel any better most mobiles can't connect to ad-hoc networks
    Pete6 likes this.
    02-28-11 12:46 AM
    PROTIP for any users on a UMA network - download the software anyway, and whenever you go abroad, start the hotspot, force the phone to UMA only and call away at your home based rates + only pay to connect your laptop to the hotel/railway/airport/whatever hotspot - and as a byproduct have painless BlackBerry connectivity to your pseudo WiFi network, as some WiFi login pages just give up on the BB.

Addendum: Some UMA enabled mobile networks monitor UMA connections to see if the IP address is located in the home country, a VPN on your laptop to your home country can get round this quite nicely
    02-28-11 12:50 AM

That's What I mean
    02-28-11 11:17 AM
    Mr Man there has hit the nail on the head ! However help is at hand, but only if you're running Windows 7.

Windows 7 can emmulate a "proper" wifi network, there is lengthy discussion on the subject of manually setting up Windows 7 to create this WiFi network using built in virtual drivers et all - but to cut a long story short if you are running Windows 7 - download Connectify Me, brilliant free bit of software that will create the pseudo-real WiFi network you need, and your 9780 will happily connect to it.

If it helps you feel any better most mobiles can't connect to ad-hoc networks
    Connectify Me worked great on my Windows 7 (x64) PC and my 9700. Thanks for the tip, Mr. Mouse.
    02-28-11 11:37 AM
    No problem at all Pete6 v. happy to help ! Haven't seen you in ages ! Very handy software as it allows you to connect to a WiFi network and create a WiFi network at the same time for your other local peripherals to connect to - piece of software I don't leave home without anymore - so many uses for it ! And as a total bonus its freeware ! Love it.
    02-28-11 12:49 PM
    i did the same using connectfy me and even virtual router.. i have got my bold 9780 connected to the wifi.. the icon is white but my browser doesnt work?
    any ideas?
    03-23-11 03:51 AM
    Im guessing from your name you're Indian, if you're not apologies, however on other threads here it has been commented that some Indian carriers block BIS access over WiFi.

You might want to investigate this with your carrier !
    03-23-11 09:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD