I manage cell phones for my company. My manager's wife recently moved her cell phone from Sprint to Alltel. Now my manager can't call her cell phone when he or she is outside of the local area code (520). He gets a "The number you've called is using the incorrect code" error message. She can call him from any location, and he can call her from any location using a landline, but not from his Sprint BB 8830 when he or she is out of town.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Any idea what is going on?
    Thank you very much!
    05-14-08 01:28 PM
    It's a carrier problem. Out of your control. Have them call their respective carriers and explain the problems to them. Probably, the number porting that took place from Sprint to Alltel got botched in the switch by Alltel. Happens sometimes.
    05-14-08 01:43 PM
    If it is a carrier problem, why is it only affecting a single phone? Why don't all calls into the Alltel phone get an error message?
    Is there a setting on the Blackberry that might be causing the problem? A speed dial setting, or a need to program in her area code in his contact list?
    05-14-08 02:27 PM
    Shouldn't be, but I'd check to make sure he's not dialing something wacky if he's dialing form the address book. Generally speaking it's not needed to dial a 1+, all cell phones can dial just 123-123-1234 for a number. I would test this by simply dialing the number manually. If that works, correct his contact entry... maybe that's fubared. BTW, make sure you include the area code on the address book entry, no it won't cause it to charge long distance, yes it fixes a problem if calling from a roaming carrier's cell tower. That might be the issues here to begin with. Check it.
    05-14-08 02:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD