Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48
  1. tcjohnsson's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Cannot enable bluetooth

    One of the things that the Curve did better than my Treo 650 is connect to my Samsung WEP200. But on several occasions, my Curve just loses the connection with the bluetooth headset. I'm not talking about during a call but when I go to pick up the phone when it rings, it all of a sudden doesn't connect to the headset.

    So I go into the bluetooth settings and I come to find out that the bluetooth feature was "disabled". Huh? I sure as heck didn't do that. So I click on "enable bluetooth" in options but NOTHING HAPPENS. I go back into options and try again. Nothing. Choosing it doesn't enable anything, just like Peter Griffin's breakfast machine - it doesn't make breakfast at all. It just states at the top of the screen: Bluetooth: Disabled. Friggen great. I tried turning the phone on and off - NOTHING. I tried to turn my Samsung headset on and off - NOTHING. So the only way to get the bluetooth to start up again is to do a battery pull. Anyone else having the same problem? This sucks.
  2. avt123's Avatar
    O.G.

    Posts
    12,111 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,294 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    I don't know why that's happening. My Bluetooth works fine with my Curve.
  3. jenaywins's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,006 Posts
    PIN
    HEAD
    #3  

    Default

    Gosh how I love a good family guy reference. just be glad your curve doesn't shoot you, like the breakfast machine.

    Anyhow, did you try a battery pull? It may just be a deective phone. My bluetooth also works just fine. Although I had an issue sending a file via bluetooth the other day. Hmm...

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  4. lvumlow's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    164 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
    One of the things that the Curve did better than my Treo 650 is connect to my Samsung WEP200. But on several occasions, my Curve just loses the connection with the bluetooth headset. I'm not talking about during a call but when I go to pick up the phone when it rings, it all of a sudden doesn't connect to the headset.

    So I go into the bluetooth settings and I come to find out that the bluetooth feature was "disabled". Huh? I sure as heck didn't do that. So I click on "enable bluetooth" in options but NOTHING HAPPENS. I go back into options and try again. Nothing. Choosing it doesn't enable anything, just like Peter Griffin's breakfast machine - it doesn't make breakfast at all. It just states at the top of the screen: Bluetooth: Disabled. Friggen great. I tried turning the phone on and off - NOTHING. I tried to turn my Samsung headset on and off - NOTHING. So the only way to get the bluetooth to start up again is to do a battery pull. Anyone else having the same problem? This sucks.

    I am having the exact same issues with an 8700g.

    - pulled the battery
    - installed the latest firmware from T-Mobile (4.2.1.107)
    - re-provisioned the device

    Still having the same thing, I click on enable Bluetooth and nothing happens - no error, just nothing happens?

    Puzzled and would appreciate any thoughts?
  5. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,136 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,146 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Be sure you don't have the bluetooth connection LED disabled. Disabling it will cause your bluetooth to drop connections. That said, I had a similar problem with my 8830 and a Plantronics 665A headset. I finally took the headset back. I haven't gotten a replacement yet. Other people report the 665A works fine for them. There's something going on with headsets that I don't understand yet.
  6. tcjohnsson's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    Be sure you don't have the bluetooth connection LED disabled. Disabling it will cause your bluetooth to drop connections. That said, I had a similar problem with my 8830 and a Plantronics 665A headset. I finally took the headset back. I haven't gotten a replacement yet. Other people report the 665A works fine for them. There's something going on with headsets that I don't understand yet.
    It's doing it all the time now. UGGH!

    This is not about dropping connections with the bluetooth while on the phone. The phone at some point while not in use just decides to disable bluetooth. When you go back in to enable it nothing happens. THe screen shows that bluetooth is disabled and when you click on the menu to enable it absolutely nothing happens. The menu disappears when you press it and something should happen, you would think - but nothing. I almost wish the phone would shoot me in the arm like Peter's breakfast machine.
  7. lvumlow's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    164 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    I have tried to research the problem the best I can and the only thing I can say for sure is that there appears to be many people with the same problem. I have found many forum threads on this exact problem and none of them have an answer.

    At this point I tired wiping the device with JL Commander hoping to purge a rogue policy or something like that but no luck. I am probably going to chalk this up to a bad Bluetooth radio in the phone?
  8. tcjohnsson's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lvumlow View Post
    I have tried to research the problem the best I can and the only thing I can say for sure is that there appears to be many people with the same problem. I have found many forum threads on this exact problem and none of them have an answer.

    At this point I tired wiping the device with JL Commander hoping to purge a rogue policy or something like that but no luck. I am probably going to chalk this up to a bad Bluetooth radio in the phone?

    It's definitely not the bluetooth headset itself because I've tried the BT8040 and the Samsung WEP200... and the phone disables both of them.

    Do you think swapping the phone for a new one will make a difference?
  9. gs warrior 88's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,420 Posts
    PIN
    Just ask.
    #9  

    Default

    I have the exact same bluetooth headset as yours and sorry to say mine works perfectly fine.
  10. tcjohnsson's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gs warrior 88 View Post
    I have the exact same bluetooth headset as yours and sorry to say mine works perfectly fine.

    Which one?
  11. omegadoc's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    14 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    My 3 week old 8330 randomly disables bluetooth, unrelated to battery charge, indicator light or any other situation. Sometimes I can re-enable it, and other times I have to do a reboot. I do not believe it has anything to do with which headset is used, because it disables even if the earpiece is off and not paired. Someone must know why this is happening...please help! Thank you.
  12. tcjohnsson's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by omegadoc View Post
    My 3 week old 8330 randomly disables bluetooth, unrelated to battery charge, indicator light or any other situation. Sometimes I can re-enable it, and other times I have to do a reboot. I do not believe it has anything to do with which headset is used, because it disables even if the earpiece is off and not paired. Someone must know why this is happening...please help! Thank you.
    This is crazy! I can't believe this forum isn't flooded with complaints about this. My phone shuts off my bluetooth almost daily now - I have to pull the battery almost every day! I wonder if most people don't use bluetooth with this phone? If others are having the same problem I'm having it can't be a "defective" phone, can it? Software issue? Anyone? Please help us!! This is driving me insane!!
  13. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,136 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,146 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    There is something wrong with Bluetooth in some phones. But the data are too scattered to enable any conclusions. There seems to be a group of users that have no problems with bluetooth headsets, and another group of users that do. But even that may be an oversimplification.

    A lot of complaints have been posted in the Bluetooth forum. There have been many.

    The problem is not limited to 8330's. My 8830 has the same problem. Nor does it appear to be related to a specific brand or model of headset. I returned a Plantronics 665A that had the same problem. Another 8830 user reported his 665A worked perfectly.

    I've only tried one headset with my 8830. I'm going to try another soon. If you find one that works, please post it.
  14. tcjohnsson's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

    Default

    I'm using the Jabra BT8040 and the Samsung WEP200 and the phone just randomly "kills" the connection for both of them. It wouldn't be so bad if you could at least activate it... but you can't. The bluetooth simply just won't activate - the phone won't even let you do it. Totally, totally bizarre. My first Blackberry experience is slowly degrading every day.
  15. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,136 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,146 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    If you search the forums for BT8040, I think you'll find people who use it without a problem. My 8830 is my second blackberry. My earlier generation 7250 worked flawlessly with bluetooth headsets. If you are still within your 30 day return period, I suggest you get another phone. The problem appears to be random. A new phone might work perfectly for you.
  16. omegadoc's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    14 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Since I last posted, I tried setting the bluetooth indicator to flash, and I haven't dropped it as yet for one whole day!! I'll keep you all posted.
  17. omegadoc's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    14 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
    This is crazy! I can't believe this forum isn't flooded with complaints about this. My phone shuts off my bluetooth almost daily now - I have to pull the battery almost every day! I wonder if most people don't use bluetooth with this phone? If others are having the same problem I'm having it can't be a "defective" phone, can it? Software issue? Anyone? Please help us!! This is driving me insane!!
    By the way, you can reboot by pressing alt + right-up-arrow + del at the same time...saves you from pulling the battery...still doesn't solve the random bluetooth droppings (what a visual, eh?)...
  18. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,136 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,146 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by omegadoc View Post
    Since I last posted, I tried setting the bluetooth indicator to flash, and I haven't dropped it as yet for one whole day!! I'll keep you all posted.
    That is a known condition. Setting the LED on will not cure all problems, but setting it OFF is guaranteed to cause problems.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  19. tcjohnsson's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    That is a known condition. Setting the LED on will not cure all problems, but setting it OFF is guaranteed to cause problems.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks for the tip... I'll try it. But I can't help but wonder why on earth would setting an LED to blink fix anything?
  20. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,136 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,146 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
    Thanks for the tip... I'll try it. But I can't help but wonder why on earth would setting an LED to blink fix anything?
    I don't know, but I could make an intelligent guess that the code that causes the light to blink also satisfies some internal timer or counter, either deliberately or inadvertently, convincing the blackberry that the link is live and preventing it from dropping it.

    The LED ON doesn't fix all problems, but OFF guarantees problems.
  21. omegadoc's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    14 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Thanks, Jeff. One and one half days without a drop with the blue light a-blinkin'.
  22. Erik-Olsen's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
    This is crazy! I can't believe this forum isn't flooded with complaints about this. My phone shuts off my bluetooth almost daily now - I have to pull the battery almost every day! I wonder if most people don't use bluetooth with this phone? If others are having the same problem I'm having it can't be a "defective" phone, can it? Software issue? Anyone? Please help us!! This is driving me insane!!
    I am having the exact same issue and it is really irritating me, My Motorola H680 pops back in to the paired devices screen after I pull the battery and replace it.

    Don't know why.

    Erik
  23. tcjohnsson's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

    Default

    Just an update to those trying the "enable LED" fix...

    It did work for me and my phone did not drop the bluetooth connection (and killed my ability to reconnect without a battery pull), HOWEVER, the bright blue blinking light drove me to the point of insanity. The red blinking light would alternate with the blue one so I had to stare at my phone for a few seconds just to see if I had a message come in. And I work a lot in dark setting (e.g. at night). So what the heck is the point of having a dimming screen when the blinking blue LED doesn't dim. Ever stare at that dimmed screen with the blue flash in a dark room? It will drive ANYONE insane.

    So to make a long story short... I managed to go three full days with my phone not killing the bluetooth connection. But after three days I lost it because of that annoying blinking LED. I'll reset my phone once a day over staring at that blue light all the time.

    There is so much to love about my BB but unfortunately there is also so much to hate about it.
  24. BerryMedic20's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    143 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
    Just an update to those trying the "enable LED" fix...

    It did work for me and my phone did not drop the bluetooth connection (and killed my ability to reconnect without a battery pull), HOWEVER, the bright blue blinking light drove me to the point of insanity. The red blinking light would alternate with the blue one so I had to stare at my phone for a few seconds just to see if I had a message come in. And I work a lot in dark setting (e.g. at night). So what the heck is the point of having a dimming screen when the blinking blue LED doesn't dim. Ever stare at that dimmed screen with the blue flash in a dark room? It will drive ANYONE insane.

    So to make a long story short... I managed to go three full days with my phone not killing the bluetooth connection. But after three days I lost it because of that annoying blinking LED. I'll reset my phone once a day over staring at that blue light all the time.

    There is so much to love about my BB but unfortunately there is also so much to hate about it.
    I'm having the exact same problem... Noticed it first with my tomtom, and now with my brand new jawbone. It's definitely a phone-related problem.

    I'm wondering if getting a replacement phone from Verizon would help? I agree, the blinking blue light is entirely too annoying, but it sucks going to answer a call with your headset and realizing bluetooth no longer works!
  25. jeffh's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    15,136 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,146 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BerryMedic20 View Post
    I'm having the exact same problem... Noticed it first with my tomtom, and now with my brand new jawbone. It's definitely a phone-related problem.

    I'm wondering if getting a replacement phone from Verizon would help? I agree, the blinking blue light is entirely too annoying, but it sucks going to answer a call with your headset and realizing bluetooth no longer works!
    It is definitely a phone-related problem, and you might well talk your local store into giving you a replacement, but the problem has been reported too many times on too many different phones for you to have any reasonable expectation that a new phone will not have the same problem.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions