Why BlackBerry 10 will be a stunning success

Just a warning - it's a very long article.
    01-25-13 12:08 PM
    "The sad part is that while Heins took all of the right steps to get BlackBerry 10 to market, it’s still likely too little, too late. "

That's where I stopped reading
    cjcampbell, jesse_h, Jince and 2 others like this.
    01-25-13 12:13 PM
    "The sad part is that while Heins took all of the right steps to get BlackBerry 10 to market, it�s still likely too little, too late. "

That's where I stopped reading
    And to think, that statement was held off until the 3rd paragraph....waste of writing to have your conclusion at the beginning, or at least I believe it is.
    01-25-13 12:18 PM
    Good for you, way to contribute nothing to the topic.

I read over half of the article, and I found it was insightful and it poked some truths at RIM...and many here that BOLD UNTIL HYBRID COMES convey. Which is, RIM and its customers have stood complacent for too long. Most defend RIMs blunders, and accept them. Instead of saying, I wish my phone had more memory/slimmer/higher resolution, RIM lovers would say; I'm glad my phone can't do too much because I like things simple/I would lose a slim phone/and I just want to read emails not use a TOY!

That type of cognitive dissonance (imagine seeing an amazing 3D tv, balking at the price tag, then saying 3D TV is worthless...same concept) has kept RIM and its customers in a shroud of lies. Your phone should be able to do a lot of things, but still take care of the basics that you love, no one should force you into doing them.

There was a lot I didn't really care to grasp in the article, but I think the biggest player, is the mindset of former customers. I just talked to this boy last night who has a Bold but wants an iphone. And I told him there will be All NEW BBs...he shurgged it off, saying this one was new. Then I actually told him about flow and hub, and he seemed really interested and I told him the browser has been rated better than the iphone by neutral sites, and he was really interested.

THAT, is what RIM needs to address in their commercials. Not just say, hey, we have another new phone with minor upgrades you won't notice, but a ball busting phone that will kick the competitions arse! Right now, my friends with metro PCS phones can laugh at me. My GPS goes out when theirs doesn't, my GPS is slower than theirs,....there really is no strong category for RIM as they are.
    01-25-13 12:28 PM
    I am amazed on how Canadian Media trashed a Canadian Company that is making a great effort to recover.

Go Blackberry 10!!!!
    KAPR,
    01-25-13 12:29 PM
    i'm really tired of "too little, too late".
    01-25-13 12:31 PM
    And I read a few paragraphs of the article, and it stating "too little, too late" is a bit pre-mature considering like all of us, the person that wrote the article does not appear to have full knowledge of what is to be unveiled on January 30. Can't compare old RIM to new RIM.I think that pokes a truth at what CRACKCOOKIE conveys.
    01-25-13 12:36 PM
    " The company’s first tablet, the PlayBook, also flopped when it debuted in 2011. It lacked the key features for which RIM is known: built-in e-mail and calendar capabilities. RIM wants to avoid these mistakes with BlackBerry 10. Development was different from the very start. The operating system is based on completely different software, which RIM acquired in 2010 when it bought QNX Software Systems."

Both Playbook and BB10 use QNX... I'm tired of articles like this. We will let BB10 speak for itself next wednesday.
    01-25-13 12:42 PM
    The biggest problem is that the article assumes that RIM is going to have trouble getting above 12M devices in its first year. This is ridiculous as they got 7M devices last QUARTER and that's on an 18 month old device. There is a huge amount of pent up demand and if just 1 in 4 existing customers buys a BB10, that's 20M devices without luring a single new customer and we've all seen how well this thing is getting attention from Apple and Samsung. They are concerned.
    01-25-13 12:43 PM
    I think it's very critical that people will say "too little too late" for RIM while giving complete credit to unknown execution from Facebook, FireFox and Ubuntu.

In doing so, they downplay the importance of carrier relationships, and the proven track record of QNX. Also what disturbs me, is how completely agreeable they are with Apple and Android forever, I think already today we are starting to see how the market's expectations are not inline with Apple and the reality Android growth model is not stable for all OEMs and the market is inundated with low quality products that are not supported after shipping, it's a very wasteful approach...
    01-25-13 12:58 PM
    Oh if I believed everything I read BlackBerry10 would not be launching next week because Rim would be dead broken up sold cast down to **** etc.

BlackBerry10 is launching in a few days
    01-25-13 01:25 PM
    I read the whole thing, and it was terrible. The author (calling him a journalist would be too generous) took quotes and speculation from other sources in order to spin it into a negative article. Perhaps he thought by sprinkling a few positive sentiments through his article that he thought people would not see through his obvious bias.

RIM now promises around 70,000 apps will be available for BlackBerry 10 at launch. That still puts RIM behind Microsoft’s upstart Windows platform, which had approximately 150,000
    The official number Microsoft gave was actually 120,000. (you can google for the video where they announced it). But then again he's just trying to play the quantity over quality card to suit his article.

RIM doesn’t have the marketing resources of Microsoft and Nokia. At the end of September, Microsoft had more than US$66 billion available to spend. RIM has only $2.9 billion.
    Did he really try to make an equal comparison the cash on hand from a multifaceted company who deals with things from video game consoles to desktop and server operating systems to a smartphone company?

Funny how he just used the numbers and quotes from the analysts to his benefit and left a lot out, and going on to say "Analysts are pessimistic". Below is some quotes from other articles with the same analysts...

Heres a quote from Astle a Byron from a few days ago:
    Analysts at Byron Capital Markets also issued an optimistic report on RIM today, saying BB10 “looks solid” and almost all the reviews from app developers are positive ones.

“Do you really want to be zero weight on Research In Motion Ltd. (RIM) going into the BB10 launch?” they said.

“On Jan. 30, RIM launches its first major product cycle in years into one of the fastest growing consumer markets,” they added.

“There are several emerging data points that suggest this may be a more successful product cycle than many expected.”
    Source: RIM shares surge: Could we see $20 before crucial BB10 launch? - The Globe and Mail

An article using Tse From Cormack recently said:
    Richard Tse, an analyst with Cormark Securities Inc., added that RIM’s new operating system seems differentiated enough from Apple’s and Google’s software to stand a chance, and get support from wireless operators around the world.

He also said the negative news about dwindling revenues from RIM’s carrier service fee, at least in the short term, appear to be less severe than many first thought.
    Source: 'Small things' power big gains for RIM - The Globe and Mail

And from the last analyst he cited had this to say:
    There certainty are folks that believe in the new product cycle," he said. "The whole Wall Street community's been trying to handicap how strong that product cycle will be for RIM
    Source: RIM shares recover from sharp decline - The Times of India

Based on that seems like those same analysts are optimistic to me.

I could poke more holes in this article, but I've already wasted enough time. He wanted to write a negative article so he found a way to do it.

One last thing I'll say, I bet he's never even seen a BB10 device...
    01-25-13 01:33 PM
    Ya, I read the magazine article a while back, I didn't think that it had any value so I didn't mention it.
    They also had a spread that talked about some of the landmark features that was relatively negative as well.
    01-25-13 01:42 PM
    Actually one more thing to add Just found an article he wrote back in August called "The end of RIM" (Im not linking to it to give him any more page views or attention, but you can pretty much guess what it's about), seems he's had some hate on RIM for a while and it's too late for him to backtrack...He's also called RIM cry babies on twitter, for RIM pointing out inaccuracies in a NYT article.

What does make me happy about this kind of stuff is that not too far into the future people like him will be eating their words
    01-25-13 01:51 PM
    Actually one more thing to add Just found an article he wrote back in August called "The end of RIM" (Im not linking to it to give him any more page views or attention, but you can pretty much guess what it's about), seems he's had some hate on RIM for a while and it's too late for him to backtrack...He's also called RIM cry babies on twitter, for RIM pointing out inaccuracies in a NYT article.

What does make me happy about this kind of stuff is that not too far into the future people like him will be eating their words
    Will be buying your bb10 apps
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    01-25-13 01:54 PM
    All the Naysayers should be called out one by one...lol. Especially the ones that constantly write sh*$ even after facts suggests things have changed at RIM.

01-25-13 02:01 PM
    I appreciate the thoughts of both Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes and crackcookie. Yes, I too get tired of those who predetermined the death of RIM and who have doubted the ability of Thorsten Heins and the new leadership to respond to some huge challenges. But the reason the predictors have been so negative is that the previous leadership at RIM seemed satisfied with a product that was rapidly losing the consumer and business market share.

My financial advisor is still negative and has encouraged me to sell sell sell my RIM stock. I have told him that I believe that it will improve, and it has, so far. As excited as I am that the analysts and the press are beginning to become more positive, there is still a long way to go. Thorsten and team recognize this. BB10 is just the beginning of a dramatic move to mobile computing. If BB10 is a big success, then RIM has a chance to recover its place in not only the smartphone market, but it can lead into the exciting future of mobile computing.

I want RIM to succeed, not only because of my investment portfolio needs it, but because this company historically has been a leader and innovator. Waterloo needs it, Canada needs it, and the world needs it. Though RIM is not dead, it has been on life support. But health is returning. Just think, in future years, we may be recalling what an incredible opportunity it was to witness the resurgence of RIM.
    01-25-13 02:11 PM
    I read the whole thing, and it was terrible. The author (calling him a journalist would be too generous) took quotes and speculation from other sources in order to spin it into a negative article. Perhaps he thought by sprinkling a few positive sentiments through his article that he thought people would not see through his obvious bias.

The official number Microsoft gave was actually 120,000. (you can google for the video where they announced it). But then again he's just trying to play the quantity over quality card to suit his article.

Did he really try to make an equal comparison the cash on hand from a multifaceted company who deals with things from video game consoles to desktop and server operating systems to a smartphone company?

Funny how he just used the numbers and quotes from the analysts to his benefit and left a lot out, and going on to say "Analysts are pessimistic". Below is some quotes from other articles with the same analysts...

Heres a quote from Astle a Byron from a few days ago: Source: RIM shares surge: Could we see $20 before crucial BB10 launch? - The Globe and Mail

An article using Tse From Cormack recently said: Source: 'Small things' power big gains for RIM - The Globe and Mail

And from the last analyst he cited had this to say: Source: RIM shares recover from sharp decline - The Times of India

Based on that seems like those same analysts are optimistic to me.

I could poke more holes in this article, but I've already wasted enough time. He wanted to write a negative article so he found a way to do it.

One last thing I'll say, I bet he's never even seen a BB10 device...
    I signed up on Canadian Business to just leave a comment. This is the first time I've done that. I would like to leave a link to you post there.
    01-25-13 02:18 PM
    Well, what, I agree with the article...
    01-25-13 02:27 PM
    Good for you, way to contribute nothing to the topic.

I read over half of the article, and I found it was insightful and it poked some truths at RIM...and many here that BOLD UNTIL HYBRID COMES convey. Which is, RIM and its customers have stood complacent for too long. Most defend RIMs blunders, and accept them. Instead of saying, I wish my phone had more memory/slimmer/higher resolution, RIM lovers would say; I'm glad my phone can't do too much because I like things simple/I would lose a slim phone/and I just want to read emails not use a TOY!

That type of cognitive dissonance (imagine seeing an amazing 3D tv, balking at the price tag, then saying 3D TV is worthless...same concept) has kept RIM and its customers in a shroud of lies. Your phone should be able to do a lot of things, but still take care of the basics that you love, no one should force you into doing them.

There was a lot I didn't really care to grasp in the article, but I think the biggest player, is the mindset of former customers. I just talked to this boy last night who has a Bold but wants an iphone. And I told him there will be All NEW BBs...he shurgged it off, saying this one was new. Then I actually told him about flow and hub, and he seemed really interested and I told him the browser has been rated better than the iphone by neutral sites, and he was really interested.

THAT, is what RIM needs to address in their commercials. Not just say, hey, we have another new phone with minor upgrades you won't notice, but a ball busting phone that will kick the competitions arse! Right now, my friends with metro PCS phones can laugh at me. My GPS goes out when theirs doesn't, my GPS is slower than theirs,....there really is no strong category for RIM as they are.
    Honestly i don't want a phone that's too small, despite having small hands. extremely thin devices feel awkward.
    01-25-13 02:29 PM
    My view of RIM has to be clear-eyed; I'm learning to develop for the platform, but I also hold stock. I've found the development of BB10 a compelling story, but my bottom-line is that I can't afford to romanticize here. I believe in this product because I've had the luxury of getting to LIVE with it already, not just perform a quick assessment or watch other people's demos.

It is too early to write RIM off. BB10 has not hit the market, and I'm seeing a lot of unexpected enthusiasm for it. Yes, there actually are people who are looking forward to this, and unlike Microsoft's marketing effort for WP8, much of which seemed to be driven by marketing $$$, the anticipation for BB10 seems to be driven by actual good will.

Anybody who says "too little, too late" is engaging in speculation, pure and simple. They can't say RIM is toast any more than I can say they're making a comeback.
    01-25-13 02:31 PM
    I signed up on Canadian Business to just leave a comment. This is the first time I've done that. I would like to leave a link to you post there.
    Yeah go ahead post the link. It would be nice to seem him come here and defend his clear bias. There's nothing he can say to defend the fact the tide is changing in favour of RIM. The articles posted in the news & rumors section of CrackBerry is proof of that, news outlets that would utterly rip of RIM are now changing their tune, heck even BGR is saying good things now. I guess I'm just bothered by closed minded people and this article just struck a nerve with me. In the past I've been critical of RIM (search some forum posts of mines few a few months ago, or my blog posts on CB). But this is different RIM, they've changed and they deserve to be treated better. With the launch less than 5 days away there's no need to spurt hate - just wait 5 days and wait and see, then draw your own conclusion.

/rant

01-25-13 02:44 PM
    I think it's very critical that people will say "too little too late" for RIM while giving complete credit to unknown execution from Facebook, FireFox and Ubuntu.

In doing so, they downplay the importance of carrier relationships, and the proven track record of QNX. Also what disturbs me, is how completely agreeable they are with Apple and Android forever, I think already today we are starting to see how the market's expectations are not inline with Apple and the reality Android growth model is not stable for all OEMs and the market is inundated with low quality products that are not supported after shipping, it's a very wasteful approach...
    you mean the way Facebooks stock was supposed to take off once they became publicly traded? it seems that people don't actually know their mouth from their ******* things like this should be ignored as they make people that have high hopes question and depress judgement :P
    01-25-13 03:14 PM
    We really should not care was this person has to say the media has been saying too little to late from 2011 they even said RIM would not make it to 2013 so in my eyes the media have no credibility.
    crackcookie likes this.
    01-25-13 04:19 PM