Recently, I accidentally left my BlackBerry on a plane. When I had realised it wasn't in my pocket, I had already left the connecting bus that takes me from the aircraft, across the airport and to the terminal.

I was guided to baggage claims and they said that it would take 4 hours to collect it and bring it back! My next flight was in 4 hours so I naturally told them politely that I would be going back to the UK by then so I would need the phone before then.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, they brought my phone back to me after 2 hours. I noticed that my pictures app was opened and scrolled far down to pictures I had taken last year. There is no way pocket scrolling could have done that. Also, that app was not open when I left it.

I am sure the authorities there looked through my phone. Yes, it's an invasion of privacy, but these kinda things are not understood by all nations unfortunately. The question of why they would need to do so sprang to my mind.

I don't want to get into a debate of the humanitarian rights and wrongs of this incident, but the thought that came to my mind was: is it possible to see what people have done to your phone once you get it back from them? For example, what apps did they open and how long was each app open for? Did they send a message then delete the evidence? Which messages did they open and close? Did they copy any of the info? As 4 hours is excessive, as it only took a minute to get from the aircraft to the terminal. Furthermore, the guy who emerged with my phone came from the office next to the baggage claim desk, which is the opposite direction to the runway.

The phone was on flight mode and I didn't put a password on it. God knows what would have happened if I had put a password on it and they incorrectly guessed the password 10 times. They would have wiped my data. Then probably been suspicious of why I would have such a feature on my phone. Sheesh, come to think of it, I could have probably been chucked into a jail cell for suspicious activity lol.

Lucky for me, my phone only contained pictures of my family and friends enjoying days out together and messages related to the health industry (as I work in the health industry).

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    02-22-15 09:15 AM
    This is why Password protection exists. Not to try and be that guy but its really your fault for leaving your phone unprotected for anyone to look at. I have a hard time believing that anyone that found a phone unlocked wouldn't scroll through it A. Because they were curious, and B. To see if there was any information that could tell them who the owner was. As far as what they looked at I would see what apps were left open and you could always contact your provider to see what text messages were sent between that time frame. Other than that you are kind of screwed here and honestly you are lucky you got the phone back to begin with.
    02-22-15 09:20 AM
    Thanks for sharing. There is no way (that I know of) to have a log of what is done.

This though is a fine example of why you should have:
    • Local Backups;
    • Cloud sync services for PIM data and images;
    • Passwords enabled

EDIT: Also, looking at pictures is the fastest way to tell if that phone belongs to you or not. I dare anyone here not to have at least ONE picture of oneself (and I don't even mean selfies - pics with friedns, family, evan a CV image). Oh, and Facebook. lol
    02-22-15 09:23 AM
    I was literally the last one off the plane; even the flight attendants had gone and the cockpit was empty too. And the authorities knew which seat I was sat on so they knew exactly where to look. They also knew they were looking for a BlackBerry so there's no need to look through anything in my opinion. The BlackBerry Passport is very distinct so there would be no complication.

I'm not fussed about them looking through my phone so much. And I'm not too bothered about what they did even though they were in the wrong to look through my private property.

So there's no hurt involved or any repercussions and my mind is over the whole matter. But I was just wondering what capabilities these phones have. That's all.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 11:00 AM
    Don't think you can tell what they looked at but be happy you got it back.

Z30 STA100-5 running 10.3.1.2267
    02-22-15 11:13 AM
    They were in the wrong for going through the phone? I'm sorry but I've gone through plenty of phones to get information on how to get the phone back to the owner. Yes even the pictures app, that way I know exactly who's it is

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 12:57 PM
    I once left my wallet in a shopping cart (must have fallen out of my purse).
    The guy that found it NJ saw that my driver's license said FL. So he looked at my checks and saw they were from a local bank. He called the bank and they called me and gave me his cell number. I had no idea the wallet was lost for 2 hours!!
    I met him at the shopping center and got my wallet back - NOTHING MISSING!!
    He had to do a lot of detective work to find me and I really appreciated it. Wouldn't take a reward.
    Not all snooping is malicious, though sometimes it is.
    BTW, I have my hubby's phone # on my lock screen.

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>?
    02-22-15 01:22 PM
    Maybe just maybe, they found your phone and said something like, look through the pictures to see if they recognise you from the flight.

To be far, if I found your phone after 2 hours, I wouldn't just hand it over on your word. You would need to know your phone number one one, and one or two other things.

At the end of the day you lost your phone at an airport, due to the high level Security Status we're at, they have the right to look at what's on it and if you don't like it then 'stuff' that how it is.

You lost your phone and got it back, you should be happy, unless you have something to hide.

Posted via CB10
    TGR1 likes this.
    02-22-15 01:34 PM
    Working in airport / airline operations every day I have a hard time to believe your story.

First of all, there is absolutely no way you got off the aircraft with no crew member present. The crew will always supervise the deboarding process until every last passenger has deboarded the aircraft. They will thereafter perform a cabin check and cleaning will board the aircraft.

Lost items are usually found by passengers, crew members or cleaning and passed on to ground staff. They will then pass it on further to lost and found which is usually operated by a ground handling agency.

The chance that your phone has ever been touched by what you call "the authorities" is very very low, unless the item was found to be suspicious, which I highly doubt as numerous phones are forgotten on planes every day.

Whatever, or whoever scrolled through your pictures might not have had the right to do that, but it is kind of funny not to lock your phone in any way and to then claim your rights about privacy.

Besides that, for the above stated reasons I think you have either completely made up this story or it is highly exaggerated and filled with a paranoid fear of "authorities" going through your phone.

Posted via CB10
    Craigash likes this.
    02-22-15 01:40 PM
    I was literally the last one off the plane; even the flight attendants had gone and the cockpit was empty too. And the authorities knew which seat I was sat on so they knew exactly where to look. They also knew they were looking for a BlackBerry so there's no need to look through anything in my opinion. The BlackBerry Passport is very distinct so there would be no complication.

I'm not fussed about them looking through my phone so much. And I'm not too bothered about what they did even though they were in the wrong to look through my private property.

So there's no hurt involved or any repercussions and my mind is over the whole matter. But I was just wondering what capabilities these phones have. That's all.

Posted via CB10
    "I'm not fussed about them looking through my phone so much. And I'm not too bothered about what they did even though they were in the wrong to look through my private property".

If your not bothered why you moaning about, plus, they are not in the wrong for looking through your phone. It would be wrong if they didn't.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 01:41 PM
    EDIT: Also, looking at pictures is the fastest way to tell if that phone belongs to you or not. I dare anyone here not to have at least ONE picture of oneself (and I don't even mean selfies - pics with friedns, family, evan a CV image). Oh, and Facebook. lol
    I can prove this to be true as I don't do selfies much less any pictures taken of me. I avoid them at all costs no matter what the situation is. However, if you want pics of my animals you sure as heck can find a TON of them.
    02-22-15 01:56 PM
    I can prove this to be true as I don't do selfies much less any pictures taken of me. I avoid them at all costs no matter what the situation is. However, if you want pics of my animals you sure as heck can find a TON of them.
    If you can tell there's a picture of a brown Labrador eating a cupcake on a certain phone I can be pretty sure it's yours.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    02-22-15 02:07 PM
    Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 03:17 PM
    If you don't lock your phone with the password it means you don't care about your privacy anyway so why do you complain here?
    Hope that was a lesson learned for you!
    02-22-15 03:45 PM
    If they went out of their way to get your phone to you in your timeframe ( they have a fair amount to do turning a plane around beyond looking for your lost item), ******** about them looking through the phone to confirm it's yours seems a little much.

"Lucky for me, my phone only contained pictures of my family and friends enjoying days out together and messages related to the health industry (as I work in the health industry)."

Depending on the sensitivity of the messages, I as a user of health care am much more disturbed that you don't have your phone locked for this.
    diegonei likes this.
    02-22-15 05:31 PM
    If they went out of their way to get your phone to you in your timeframe ( they have a fair amount to do turning a plane around beyond looking for your lost item), ******** about them looking through the phone to confirm it's yours seems a little much.

"Lucky for me, my phone only contained pictures of my family and friends enjoying days out together and messages related to the health industry (as I work in the health industry)."

Depending on the sensitivity of the messages, I as a user of health care am much more disturbed that you don't have your phone locked for this.
    As I was on holiday, I left my work phone at home where it was safe. The only kind of messages I get apart from personal ones are articles within the health industry just so I can keep up with the latest news. There's nothing malicious.

Since it's a personal phone, that's why I'm not too bothered about it. And that's why I don't put a password on it.

I'm not complaining about them looking through my phone, but looking through 1000 pictures is a bit excessive.

If I really wanted to complain, I would have. But that's not the issue I'm asking about here. My question has been answered by a couple people already. So topic can be closed now.

Posted via CB10
    logger4942 likes this.
    02-22-15 06:47 PM
    Next you're gonna tell me there are no pics of you on Facebook either. Becasue that's what I'd look right after pictures if I found an abandoned phone.

In fact, from now on I guess I'll make social media apps the first priority, since it's unlikely anyone will have other people logged to their phones.

If you can tell there's a picture of a brown Labrador eating a cupcake on a certain phone I can be pretty sure it's yours.
    Also, this.

I'm not complaining about them looking through my phone, but looking through 1000 pictures is a bit excessive.
    OP, the Passport does take nice pictures. You were on a holiday. Vacation somewhere nice from the looks of it.

Maybe they were impressed at the scenery?

Also, we should all be HAPPY they knew how to handle a BlackBerry 10 device, which proves the tech media was wrong to say it's hard to operate a BB10. ^^
    beemaabeemababy likes this.
    02-22-15 07:29 PM
    You are lucky the phone was returned to you.
    02-22-15 07:37 PM

If I really wanted to complain, I would have. But that's not the issue I'm asking about here. My question has been answered by a couple people already. So topic can be closed now.

Posted via CB10
    Ok beemaabeemababy

Thread closed
    02-22-15 07:40 PM