Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By djenkins6
  • 1 Post By Xopher
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Can a tablet with keyboard (and a good word app) replace the PC?

My desktop computer keeps switching off, i dont kno what it is, i think its the power box that needs replacing maybe, but the specs are outdated, and its almost time for something new anyway.

only thing is i dont know whether to get a computer, or if tablets are the future, cos im seriously fed up of windows. Constant viruses and crashing, slowness.. is p*ssing me off now.... and it turns out games, videos, pictures and just about everything else is on par on the tablet computer now... unless ur a serious gamer which i am not.

i don't know if windows 8 has fixed the problems above.... but using the playbook, is far too good to compare to clunky dekstop now... no crashing, everything at my fingertips, everything integrated... only thing i lack,, and this is essential is a good office software. excel, word and powerpoint.

I have 3 years of dissertation writing to do.. fun... and this is one thing that has to be as good as the desktop computer... i was wondering if nyone uses such a software on their playbook or other tablet device, and if it is as good as microsoft office???... if so, i'll buy the keyboard attachment and im done... although a 10 inch tablet would be good.

If this isnt possible i might jst have to replace this dekstop computer for the sake of microsoft office...

any thoughts, nyone use office style software heavily on their tablet devices? is it as good, not as good?

Also, i cant buy a mac as i cant afford one loool

thanks!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

Tablets aren't there yet for intensive word processing and document formatting. Buy a $300 to $400 laptop for word processing. If you don't need mobility you could even get a $200 tower pc.
    amjass12 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,580 Global Posts

You sound like a potential Surface Pro customer.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

yh i feared this might be the answer ... yh it'll have to be a tower replacement.. as cheap as possible i guess.... it is a shame cos i dont use my computer for nything now really. the playbook has taken over to be perfectly honest... and with the hdmi cable.. there is almost nothing i use my computer for now... never mind!
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    You sound like a potential Surface Pro customer.
    lol i am very happy with my playbook and seriously cant for bb10!!.. but one cant deny that microsoft office rules! and i hate to have to buy a computer for the sake of that alone!
    CrackBerry Addict

I pretty sure you can eh, i have the playbook 4g/lte hooked up to the bb mini keyboard and it is amazing!! When it works properly lol that's the biggest difference between the laptop and pb combo eh IMO. The laptop will always work, ie keyboard and the pb keyboard doesn't always which is pretty annoying.
    Be Proud
    9700(black)-9700(white)-9790-9900(black)-9900(white)-Playbook 32/64GB/LTE-Z10(black)-Z10(white)-Q10(black)
    BlackBerry by choice
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    815 Global Posts

Default Can a tablet with keyboard (and a good word app) replace the PC?

Tablets are toys. Check out a local used computer and repair shop. They should be able to set you up with a win7, MS Office 2007 machine for under $500 USD.
    http://www.907outdoors.com

Current: AT&T Z10. Past: 9800, 9700, 8100, 7130
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Can a tablet with keyboard (and a good word app) replace the PC?

have you tought of getting a netbook or something similar (laptop). Now I say netbook because they are usually used for its cconnectivity and the ms office sometimes comes preinstalled I figures that's what they are mostly used for. netbooks are usually cheaper too since most are smaller than 15". my friend has one and I tell you my binder is biger that this thing and ligth as f. pretty portable too.

I remember seeing a 13" lenovo laptop hdmi out and everything for 299 at bestbuy. now 299 for the specs it had and lenovo brand is good I believe they'll become the next hp in a couple of years they have good quality products.
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    31,293 Global Posts

Default RE: Can a tablet with keyboard (and a good word app) replace the PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-ANC View Post
    Tablets are toys. Check out a local used computer and repair shop. They should be able to set you up with a win7, MS Office 2007 machine for under $500 USD.
    You could get a decent new desktop PC for $500.

Since you're a university student, you could buy MS Office 2010 Professional for $99 and then get the upgrade to 2013 when it's released.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,283 Global Posts

i would never even consider replacing a PC with a tablet.
    tablets are a cool nolvelty tool for quick e mails, little games and browsing but for serious typing needs or hardcore gaming no way. even doing research for papers will prove to be a challenge on a tablet as most are not geared for multi tasking like a PC is
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

What about a second hand Mac? Mac OS supports Microsoft Office.

Or you could get a Windows RT based tablet + keyboard (such as the Surface RT) as Windows RT will not have the same Virus / crashing issues you mention and comes with Office for free.

Having Windows 8 on my PC and really enjoying it, I really would like a Windows 8 tablet myself but I'm going to try and hold off and keep using my PlayBook until RIM announces where they are going with new tablets.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

thanks all so much for the replies.... pc it is... ill probably be replacing the tower!!!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    803 Global Posts

I have heard that the new high end Windows 8 tablets will run the the regular version of Windows 8 (full Office suite!) If RIM upgrades Docs-to-go on the upcoming BB10 release for your Playbook, you might be in business then too.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

Tablets aren't there yet. That being said, I pretty much do everything not work related on my tablets. QuickOffice on my Nexus 7 is a lot better than Documents to Go on the PlayBook, and having a swiping keyboard is a nice option.

I think the few things I use my laptop for include application development, image editing (nothing mobile comes close to Photoshop), and browsing some websites that never seem to look right on a mobile device (along with printing from the web browser).

Between my PlayBook and Nexus 7, the laptop doesn't get used except for work. I don't think it is a matter of tablets actually not being capable. It is that the applications made for the mobile environment don't compare to their desktop/laptop counterparts.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    amjass12 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    216 Global Posts

dont see tablets making pc's obselete anytime soon but certainly being used for the less intensive computer tasks such as internet browsing.

Get a laptop and use it as a desktop computer with a bigger monitor keyboard and mouse. Then you have the portability if you travel and the larger keyboard/mouse/screen of a desktop when your at home. If you play games though something that could handle them would cost more then a semi decent tower.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by berryaddictnoza View Post
    I have heard that the new high end Windows 8 tablets will run the the regular version of Windows 8 (full Office suite!) If RIM upgrades Docs-to-go on the upcoming BB10 release for your Playbook, you might be in business then too.
    Already see it. Acer and Asus products are already available right now. In my country, it costs you from USD 800 - 1000
    sent from anywhere
    @isatbb@isatbbplg
    #mybb10
    #BB10Believe
    Blog: bb10believe.blogspot.com

HONK! IF YOU WANT BLACKBERRY 10

9380, Black and White Z10, LG Nexus 4, Nokia Lumia 520