the vender.xml file is? What is the file used for and do you NEED it on your berry?
    05-04-08 08:41 AM
    It identifies your device as being branded to a certain carrier.
    If you don't delete it, you cannot load software for another carrier's device to your device.

Are you trying to upgrade your OS? Check the link below.

How do I upgrade the OS on my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ
    05-04-08 09:25 AM
    It is a carrier specific file that you need to delete if you are loading another carriers os on your berry. Take a look at the link in my sig about memory it explains it some
    05-04-08 09:26 AM
    I am actually trying to get my mobile banking to work again. It worked until I upgraded to 4.5, so I downgraded and it still will not work. I was wondering if deleting the vender.xml file to downgrade had anything to do with the problem.
    05-04-08 09:54 AM
    Every 'berry is factory branded with a carrier code.

If you attempt to load an OS with a mismatched carrier code, it will refuse to proceed. Deleting the Vendor.XML file removes that conflict, and load proceeds.
    05-04-08 10:04 AM
    Stoner-so, the vender.xml file is only to make sure you download the OS that your carrier wants you to have?
    05-04-08 10:37 AM
    Yes, but more to the point, it is intended to restrict loading of other vendor supplied OS version.

Deleting the file is a work around.
    05-04-08 10:39 AM
    It's your friend! Deleting it helps with a lot of things.

PS: I'm glad you asked about it, before you started to delete, etc, etc...
    05-04-08 10:42 AM
    Gotcha. Do you think since my mobile banking is attached to the provider that I use that I would need the vendor file for it to work?
    05-04-08 10:44 AM
    I doubt it, since AT&T doesn't have a bank, per se'...
    05-04-08 11:20 AM
    ... mobile banking is attached to the provider ... would need the vendor file for it to work?
    The only context that uses the file, is Application Loader. If AL finds a Vendor.XML file, in the correct location, it compares that to the internal branded code.

If it matches, AL will proceed to install device software. If it finds one in conflict, it terminates the install. The hack takes advantage of that feature to let you over ride the restrictions.

Once the OS build has been installed on your device, the vendor.xml stuff is history.
    05-04-08 11:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD