Is there any way to use wifi on BB Curve without getting a plan for data ? If not are there any software changes I can make so I can surfe the web through wifi??
    Last edited by banej; 05-16-08 at 04:48 PM.
    05-16-08 02:33 PM
    Your able to use your own personal wifi, say at home or work. You don't need a data plan for that. But to use hot spots and such you would have to pay.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-08 05:05 PM
    I'd just like to be sure on this, as I'm planning to buy a Curve from T-mo soon.

RIM's website makes it seem like you need a BlackBerry plan to use any of the data services, including the Internet, over a Wi-Fi connection, and I see some similar statements around the Web.

So, do you, or anyone else, have personal experience using the Wi-Fi connectivity of any of the WiFi-enabled BlackBerries without having a data plan?

I know that taking only technical factors into account, you should be able to use the Wi-Fi, since it's unrelated to T-Mobile's network, but this wouldn't be the first time carriers put artificial restrictions in place.
    05-27-08 04:40 PM
    I'm trying to find the answer of the same question all day without success. My cell phone provider is Rogers, but their data plans are very expensive, and what I need is a PDA cell phone combo with wireless capabilities.

Here is a thread I started at blackberry forums, with several replies but no definitive answer of the simple question:

Can I use the BB 8820 wi-fi capabilities to completely bypass Rogers (or any other cell phone carrier) when connecting to Internet via a wi-fi network?

blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/132003-8800-8820-without-data-plan-rogers-network.html

Thanks
    05-27-08 08:02 PM
    You dont need a data plan at all to use the Blackberrys..You can use the WIFI to get Push email from a BES as well as browse the web via the Wifi Browser..

You need to go into the options/advanced options/browser and change your default browser to Wi-Fi browser.

very few programs will run over wifi however.. most require a data plan.. but browsing the web, and push email work fine over wifi.

EDIT: I have a AT&T 8820 connected to my wireless router; with a sim chip installed but turned off, and it's able to get email/browse the web perfectly fine.
    05-27-08 08:28 PM
    You dont need a data plan at all to use the Blackberrys..You can use the WIFI to get Push email from a BES as well as browse the web via the Wifi Browser..

You need to go into the options/advanced options/browser and change your default browser to Wi-Fi browser.

very few programs will run over wifi however.. most require a data plan.. but browsing the web, and push email work fine over wifi.

EDIT: I have a AT&T 8820 connected to my wireless router; with a sim chip installed but turned off, and it's able to get email/browse the web perfectly fine.
    Thanks! That's a great news, I'm going to get one now .
    05-27-08 10:44 PM
    Well, that's fairly good news, but it seems to be mostly a moot point for me.

T-Mobile won't even give you the discount rates on a BlackBerry (or any smartphone) unless you activate a data plan along with the phone, so it looks like I'm going to be getting at least an email plan.
    05-28-08 02:08 PM
    I don't know about T-Mobile, but Rogers data plan and cell phone fees here in Canada is really high.

I've just talked to RIM sales and they confirmed that I don't need a data plan to be able to connect to internet with wi-fi .
    05-28-08 02:33 PM
    You know what...I've had it with this Wi-Fi whoo-haaa-heee from RIM and the Cell Phone carriers! What is the point of buying a Wi-Fi enabled phone if you need a data plan? We should all petition to have the data plan made NULL and VOID for phones with Wi-Fi. The way I see it, if I am not using your connection, I shouldnt have to pay you (getting email via Wi-Fi is not the same as getting email via EDGE); if I am paying for something, I should be able to use it (DSL connection and the mobile device).

Whose with me?

On another note, we can just stop buying these smart phones and maybe they will see that they need to stop restricting people to the data plan.

I am sure that there is a way to bypass the data plan...it would have to do with the Routing Table on the phone (tell the phone how to connect). I am going to play around with my 8320 and once I find out, I will tell all of you CrackBerry users.
    11-12-08 07:24 AM
    You know what...I've had it with this Wi-Fi whoo-haaa-heee from RIM and the Cell Phone carriers! What is the point of buying a Wi-Fi enabled phone if you need a data plan? We should all petition to have the data plan made NULL and VOID for phones with Wi-Fi. The way I see it, if I am not using your connection, I shouldnt have to pay you (getting email via Wi-Fi is not the same as getting email via EDGE); if I am paying for something, I should be able to use it (DSL connection and the mobile device).

Whose with me?

On another note, we can just stop buying these smart phones and maybe they will see that they need to stop restricting people to the data plan.

I am sure that there is a way to bypass the data plan...it would have to do with the Routing Table on the phone (tell the phone how to connect). I am going to play around with my 8320 and once I find out, I will tell all of you CrackBerry users.
    Exactly! i totally agree and ive been wondering the same thing, there has to be a way to bypass that, cause i got Wi-Fi at home and in college so there's no reason for me to pay for data if it'll take me to the same place i go with Wi-Fi, i think this restriction is pointless *eyeroll*
    11-13-08 09:20 AM
    Hi everyone. I have just got an 8820 locked on Orange UK from ebay. I got it on the understanding I could use the Wi-Fi and GPRS without dataplans as I am on pay as you go. I only want a phone with PDA and Wi-Fi connections for use within my home Wi-Fi and my Business Wi-Fi I hope this is possible or the BB is going back on ebay asap.

Dave
    11-17-08 06:18 AM
    I have an 8820 that I use with my home wifi, and I have no data plan, only problem is that I cannot use the default browser (I have changed it to wifi and still nothing) It's ok though because I like the opera browser better anyways.
    11-26-08 04:46 PM

Whose with me?

I had a rizr pay as you go plan with tmobile, I bought an unlocked bb 9000 on ebay, and using the guie with the service book, I got tmobile working fine on the bb. I have a wireless router at home and can browse both on the blackberry and opera browsers, watch video on youtube etc, via wifi no problem. I live in a remote area so its great for me. I just need to find a good wifi voip and Im all set! (raketu is garbage). But the point is, I have the pay an go, which doesnt expire until another year (I have the platinum one after spending so much etc, rollover minutes and lasts a year). So If I just use my bberry at home through wifi , Im spending nothing at all. Works great
    Also I recommend EQO, it lets you call from your blackberry at very low rates internatinally or nationally via a local number, and also as an added bonus, installs all the top instant messengers to your phone which of course is free (and works really fast)
    12-04-08 08:53 PM
    [Actually you can get the BB pearl flip and the 8800 with discounts but not have a data plan required...

Well, that's fairly good news, but it seems to be mostly a moot point for me.

T-Mobile won't even give you the discount rates on a BlackBerry (or any smartphone) unless you activate a data plan along with the phone, so it looks like I'm going to be getting at least an email plan.[/QUOTE]
    07-08-09 06:32 PM
    Not only do you not need a data plan for wifi to work, you don't even need a sim card installed. How awesome is that? I'm on my 8820 right now and I had just put my sim back in my 8310! Pretty sweet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 10:39 PM
    when i go to options/advanced options/browser and try to change my default browser it only gives me the option of t-zones and hotspot browser. It does not give me the option to use wifi. can anyone help
    09-07-09 02:28 PM
    when i go to options/advanced options/browser and try to change my default browser it only gives me the option of t-zones and hotspot browser. It does not give me the option to use wifi. can anyone help
    Hotspot browser IS the WiFi browser
    09-07-09 02:56 PM
    Thanks for the information.......
    09-07-09 03:15 PM
    When I go to Options-Advanced Options-Browser and try to change my Default Browser it doesn't give me any options at all.

"Internet Browser" is currently highlighted the only other option is "MediaNet". Dead end? Thank you for any advice you can offer.
    11-01-09 02:28 AM
    In the first instance, the 8800 does not support WiFi. If that is your phone, you're not going to get very far with WiFi settings

However, there is a Service Book file on your BlackBerry with the name:
    generic_Wifi_GPRS_Email_servicebook.ipd

That file instructs the default RIM Browser to use a BIS/BES data plans. However, you can replace the file with one that instructs the default RIM Browser to connect without BIS/BES. You may need to edit the default RIM Browser settings to make it use a new Service Book. This approach works for WiFi, Gprs, Edge and 3g (depending on your phone).

I cannot supply you with the replacement Service Book at the time as I'm very sleepy. However, you can Google it. Alternatively, pester me for more information.

The issue of Service Books does not apply to Opera Mini or BOLT browsers because they have their own built-in connectivity settings, which are easier to modify. In fact, using BOLT might be the easiest solution to evading BIS data. I do not know of a clean way to change the default browser and even if I did, the current versions of Opera Mini do not allow you to save files!

Of course, there are users who do not want to avoid BIS because that data is already paid for while other forms of data might not be.
    Last edited by flop; 11-10-09 at 01:11 AM.
    11-10-09 12:50 AM
    Hi everyone. I have just got an 8820 locked on Orange UK from ebay. I got it on the understanding I could use the Wi-Fi and GPRS without dataplans as I am on pay as you go. I only want a phone with PDA and Wi-Fi connections for use within my home Wi-Fi and my Business Wi-Fi I hope this is possible or the BB is going back on ebay asap.

Dave
    Dave, did you ever manage to get it working?, I have exactly the same issue as you.
    Cheers Andrew
    12-22-09 11:25 AM

How do you get push BB BES email without a BB BES plan????? That makes no sense, at all.
    12-22-09 11:31 AM
    You know, time and time again this comes up. There is always someone who wants a BB to act like a blackberry but doesn't want to get a data plan. This is just crazy and although many people disagree, a blackberry without data is just a waste and many more people with agree with that
    12-22-09 11:34 AM
    I have a BB 8900, just turned my data plan off, cause it was too expensive.

So what you need to do is:

1. Go to Settings/Set Up WiFi and follow the steps to set up your home/office network. (This enables you to surf the WiFi web using Opera Mini, if you want to use the default browser, follow step 2 instructions. That's also required to play some types of online video on your BB).

After this wait few minutes, so the Network sets up properly in the BB (the name of connected network should show on the main screen and WiFi sign should be no longer faded, but white).

2. Go to Settings/Options/Advanced Options/Browser and change the "Default browser configuration" to Hotspot Browser (this will enable the built in BB browser to surf the web using home WiFi).

Hope this helps some of you I'm watching online videos with no data plan right now!
    01-15-10 02:52 PM
    How do you get push BB BES email without a BB BES plan????? That makes no sense, at all.
    Easy.. the Host routing table routes data to specific IP's.. it's not difficult to understand at all.

You can activate a BB over WIFI(As long as the OTA Activation is enabled on the BES config) and use it for push email over WIFI, 100%, fully functional, bi-directional.

BIS technically should have no issues connecting to a BES environment, but due to greed, they charge more for the BES plan and all they do is unblock the port and call it a different name.

Trust me, I'm a BES admin.
    01-15-10 02:56 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD